Social Confederate Robert E Lee statue of Charlottesville Melted Down to create new 'art'.

Mack Yancy

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
kmb3oy3vwlwb1.png

The statue was rendered into bronze ore Saturday at a foundry in an undisclosed location, according to University of Virginia professor Jalane Schmidt.

Schmidt co-leads “Swords into Plowshares,” a project dedicated to transforming the controversial Lee statue into public art.

She told CNN the group has chosen to withhold the name and location of the foundry to protect the site and its employees from threats and intimidation.

“It was a matter of responsibility, both to our community and to any other community,” she said of the organization’s decision to melt the statue. “We didn’t want to send it down the road to another community to like, send our toxic waste down the road.”

The monument to Lee stood in a park once named after the confederate general for nearly 100 years. But in 2017, amid a nationwide call to tear down confederate monuments, the city council voted to remove the statue.

[QUOTE="Mack Yancy, post: 172269821, member: 591520”]
She told CNN the group has chosen to withhold the name and location of the foundry to protect the site and its employees from threats and intimidation.
[/QUOTE]
I’d love to see a bunch of neckbeards try to give foundry workers shit.
They might end up inside a statue

[QUOTE="Mack Yancy, post: 172269821, member: 591520”]

I’d love to see a bunch of neckbeards try to give foundry workers shit.
They might end up inside a statue

I don't think it's neckbeards they are concerned about.

Why would anyone at this point give a fuck about this? Who cares. It's almost 2024. He's been dead for 150 years and his side lost.

@OneOfOne cares. He holds both the position that we need to move on from the Civil War and slavery and stop talking about it. But he also doesn't want the statues to go away.

If you don't think this makes sense, then feel free to ask him to clarify. Chances are, he wont.

The people who get upset to the point of violence over a statue , I’d imagine would be a neckbeard.

More like a "redneck " that hates the government.

Richmond is a shit hole so it's going down the drain on its own.

I've got no problem with the statue removal but their are people that don't make sound judgments that's for sure.

More like a "redneck " that hates the government.

Richmond is a shit hole so it's going down the drain on its own.

I've got no problem with the statue removal but there are people that don't make sound judgments that's for sure.
Do rednecks not have neckbeards? I thought the fat ones did.
Either way someone trying to start trouble at a place like that would be a great Darwin recipient

What's weird/funny about the whole destroying confederate monuments thing is that it is almost exclusively Republicans who get strongly upset about it.

I would actually prefer the monuments get saved and put in museums, but I don't really have much of an emotional attachment to them despite being from the deep south.

I think it is a good thing the confederacy lost the war and that it ended up better for America that we stayed one country.

kmb3oy3vwlwb1.png

The statue was rendered into bronze ore Saturday at a foundry in an undisclosed location, according to University of Virginia professor Jalane Schmidt.

Schmidt co-leads “Swords into Plowshares,” a project dedicated to transforming the controversial Lee statue into public art.

“It was a matter of responsibility, both to our community and to any other community,” she said of the organization’s decision to melt the statue. “We didn’t want to send it down the road to another community to like, send our toxic waste down the road.”

The monument to Lee stood in a park once named after the confederate general for nearly 100 years. But in 2017, amid a nationwide call to tear down confederate monuments, the city council voted to remove the statue.
Bronze is an alloy not an ore. Did the city donate the statue or was it sold?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back