Conor got clipped trying to panic wrestle

“Oh so you’re a wrestler now huh?” - Nate Diaz

Dustin was getting his ass kicked before this exchange , let’s not act like Conor was being dominated from start to finish .
ass kicked? Dustin was fine for a slow starter..Conor was done after Dustin felt he can't hurt him anymore...

Connor doesn’t have a chin problem OR a cardio problem. He’s not great at either but he’s not weak or anything.

what he DOES have is a grit problem. As soon as he’s a little tired, or his opponent fights back - he gives up. You see it in his eyes - he gets that wide-eyed, mouth open look-at-the-clock type persona.

Conor does definitely have a cardio problem but it is also tied in with a lack of heart. Anytime he’s had to overcome a little bit of adversity he’s folded like a lawn chair.

I think he managed to overcome Mendes demolishing him in the first round but that was also because Mendes gassed due to lack of camp. That’s the last fight he really managed it.

Once he can sense things aren’t going his way he goes for an easy way out rather than gritting it out.

I don't get why people always shit on people who switch to grappling when getting rocked, what should they do? Stay up rocked and get knocked out? Most of you would jump down on the floor and then cover and roll around like a fat ball.
because Conor coined that term "panic wrestling" and then does exactly the same...

He was getting beat up , as I said the haters make it seem like he was being dominated from start to finish . It was a very competitive fight
so which one is it? is dustin getting his ass kicked or it was competitive? Fanboys can't make up their mind...so much tears

yeah he was fucked. Dustin beat his ass and took his leg away from him. he didnt know how to react after his leg was gone..also after dustin ate a big shot the fight started to shift. good fight
You're into something there. Conor seemed thrown off that Dustin was able to eat some shots and talk shit to him when he countered.

yep thats what i thought after rewatching it his leg never buckled

Yeah it was weird seeing him just stand in the pocket there and not have that sense of urgency right away to just clinch or shoot in straight away. Dustin's combo was too sharp
He was burnt out and leg was done. He doesn't know how to slow things down to recover, he doesn't have a fighting style where he lowers the gear to minimize energy and focus on getting a second wind. He gets tired and gets desperate and chases a finish and completely empties his gas tank. He goes into panic mode when he gets tired. I really think he needs to cross train with completely new trainers. He's not getting better with the camps he's doing with his current team and his skill set and timing is actually getting worse.

He has bad defense and doesn't know to read strikes well from combination punchers like Dustin. Conor has never really worked on his inside boxing game. Probably due to a euro style boxing style that he trains. So his defense and offense with inside boxing has always been weak and Dustin drastically improved his inside boxing game over the years. Always knew that's the way for him to beat Conor was from that range and not from long or mid range. Conor did try to shoot but he got caught with a right hook going for it. He was open for the right hook all fight and Dustin hit it over and over again.

Conor has good timing and some good combos, but he just never added to his current combos or change anything up. His combos are very easy to read from boxing analyst because it's only 4 combos that he throws constantly. He doesn't mask the combinations so it's very easy to read from the start. He doesn't have different combinations that start the same way so once he starts a combination you know exactly which one it is and which punch he is ending with. Gets very easy to read and counter. Dustin knew the combinations, most likely due to him and his boxing trainer analyzing Conor's combos. That's why Dustin was easily countering Conor's combos when he got tired and his timing and speed slowed down.

Last edited:
He was burnt out and leg was done. He doesn't know how to slow things down to recover, he doesn't have a fighting style where he lowers the gear to minimize energy and focus on getting a second wind. He gets tired and gets desperate and chases a finish and completely empties his gas tank. He goes into panic mode when he gets tired. I really think he needs to cross train with completely new trainers. He's not getting better with the camps he's doing with his current team and his skill set and timing is actually getting worse.
A guy that experienced should know by now when to slow things down and not get desperate. But he is so successful with his explosions he over relies on it by going 100% too often and emptying his gas tank. But I think it goes to show how durable and good Poirier's striking is.

It's also a genetic thing where he gasses out after his explosions. I think in the end Conor was just badly compromised by the leg kicks and pressure of Dustin

A guy that experienced should know by now when to slow things down and not get desperate. But he is so successful with his explosions he over relies on it by going 100% too often and emptying his gas tank. But I think it goes to show how durable and good Poirier's striking is.

It's also a genetic thing where he gasses out after his explosions. I think in the end Conor was just badly compromised by the leg kicks and pressure of Dustin
I don't think he's really worked his cardio as hard as he needs to. He wouldn't be that desperate after one round that he was winning if he was putting in the work on his cardio. I think the money made him soft, he's living a good life now and is filled with comfort. Doesn't have that hunger like he used to. But can't fault him, it happens to almost every fighter that gets to that level.

I don't think he's really worked his cardio as hard as he needs to. He wouldn't be that desperate after one round that he was winning if he was putting in the work on his cardio. I think the money made him soft, he's living a good life now and is filled with comfort. Doesn't have that hunger like he used to. But can't fault him, it happens to almost every fighter that gets to that level.
Yeah you cant expect to beat everyone at the highest level when you're not fully dedicated to the game like he once was

One minute he is doing MMA then the next minute he is sitting out for a whole year. He was doing boxing, partying and doing drugs, getting in trouble with the law for years while guys like Poirier were grinding it out always working hard and fighting the best fighters in the world

I don't get why people always shit on people who switch to grappling when getting rocked, what should they do? Stay up rocked and get knocked out? Most of you would jump down on the floor and then cover and roll around like a fat ball.
People shit on Conor for it because he created the term Panic Wrestling and made negative comments on it. Only to end up doing it in multiple fights. Very hypocritical of him.

The consensus is that he gives up (by doing a panic takedown) in order to avoid being KO'd, as he likely expects to be submitted when going for the takedown.

Contrast with Dustin, who withstood Hookers barrage and came back to win, showing the heart of a lion. If Dustin had shot for a takedown while rocked, he probably would have been submitted.

Yeah you cant expect to beat everyone at the highest level when you're not fully dedicated to the game like he once was

One minute he is doing MMA then the next minute he is sitting out for a whole year. He was doing boxing, partying and doing drugs, getting in trouble with the law for years while guys like Poirier were grinding it out always working hard and fighting the best fighters in the world
Being active in boxing is good for him, should've improved his boxing for mma. But he just adopted the wrong style for his euro style boxing. His euro style doesn't work well with the walk them down slowly style he's been trying to use. Because Conor always stops mid range because he doesn't have a strong inside game. That's why he kept getting his calf kicked. He always stops at that range instead of continuing to pressure forward. If he had a strong inside boxing game he would keep walking them down because he wouldn't be worried fighting in the pocket.

Realistically judging from the results from his fights since Mayweather (minus Cerrone fight because it was short and couldn't really see much to gauge that fight) he needs to use new trainers. The trainers he has now is not improving his game at all. It's a Ronda situation right now. They can't teach Conor a style they don't understand or know. They are not going to suddenly fix calf kicks if they don't even understand calf kicks or defense to it. They don't understand the thai style stance to get the weight on the back foot. They don't have an inside boxing game to add on to Conor's euro style. Conor needs to branch out or his career is done. He's been figured out and it's going to take more than the training he's been doing to get back in the game at the high level he wants to compete at.

Switching to boxing isn't going to work until he fixes his boxing. A fight vs PAC would've been ugly for Conor. He needs to completely rebuild his striking style. Can't come back and fight the same way he has been.

Back