Conor NEVER believed he could beat Khabib. Look at the evidence.

If you listen to his coach on Rogan’s podcast, it doesn’t sound like their whole approach was a confident one.

Show me where he tried to touch gloves. I keep hearing this but didn’t see it. Conor always holds his hand out in such a way at start of the rounds in every fight. It’s a distancing thing.

He damn sure never tried at the start of the fight
NHAwBhT.gif

Of course, sometimes wrestlers don't try their hardest on TD attempts.

They just like to press you to the cage to make you tired, instead of expending their own energy trying to get you down.

Khabib was also missing shots in the center, without cage pressing.

That's the whole point of an analysis, explaining the 'why'. You're cravenly holding on to one small piece of the puzzle and acting like that's some kind of enlightened view, in fact, I think your word for it was analysis too..

I'm holding onto the whole thing. Khabib won most of the fight, but he didn't win the 3rd. It's okay to accept that.

If you think Conor's behavior leading up to the fight was shameful, I don't see how him winning or losing should affect that.

For example, I find Conor's behavior with the dolly / bus incident and the aftermath to be shameful. The fact that Khabib just kicked his ass doesn't affect that at all, if Conor had KO'd Khabib in the first, I would still find it just as shameful. Not somehow justified because he 'lived up to' his bullshit.

I think that we might be talking past one another at this point. I do think that Conor’s behavior leading up to the fight was shameful. But I also don’t think that his winning or losing has any bearing on THAT particular shameful behavior.

So we’re agreed there.

But, in addition to that, there is shame in not living up to the image you put out there of yourself. With his level of hype and self-promotion, he set himself up for tons of glory (the fact that people act like he’s in the GOAT conversation was almost exclusively a product of hype and promotion). So if he fails to live up to it, he’s susceptible to an equal measure of shame.

Pride goeth before the fall...

That's the whole point of an analysis, explaining the 'why'. You're cravenly holding on to one small piece of the puzzle and acting like that's some kind of enlightened view, in fact, I think your word for it was analysis too..

Lol this guy is delusional.

He doesn't understand the concept of fighters cruising.

He thinks he's making some type of analysis by looking at the scorecards and seeing that the judges gave Conor the 3rd, instead of actually looking at how the fight played out and making a decision for himself on what happened.

Its plain as day what happened... Khabib didn't need to win that round, he just needed to survive it and tire McGregor out more so he can smash him later.

Usually i dont like threads like this but I had noticed the exact same things. Only thing i want to know is why did conor accept the fight anyway

Probably because people on Sherdog said it would never happen, and it's really important to multi-millionaires to prove us wrong.

Usually i dont like threads like this but I had noticed the exact same things. Only thing i want to know is why did conor accept the fight anyway
For the $$$ of course!
I mean really. I remember hearing about after MayMac while boating he saw some rich oligarchs giant yacht, and he was super impressed, found out the yacht was 300 mill and knew he want more $$$

I'm holding onto the whole thing. Khabib won most of the fight, but he didn't win the 3rd. It's okay to accept that.

Its plain as day what happened in the 3rd... Khabib didn't need to win that round, he just needed to survive it and tire McGregor out more so he can smash him later.

So he didn't try very hard to win it. Then he smashed him in the 4th.

I think that we might be talking past one another at this point. I do think that Conor’s behavior leading up to the fight was shameful. But I also don’t think that his winning or losing has any bearing on THAT particular shameful behavior.

So we’re agreed there.

But, in addition to that, there is shame in not living up to the image you put out there of yourself. With his level of hype and self-promotion, he set himself up for tons of glory (the fact that people act like he’s in the GOAT conversation was almost exclusively a product of hype and promotion). So if he fails to live up to it, he’s susceptible to an equal measure of shame.

Pride goeth before the fall...

I guess I just don't see a connect between the trash-talking, and the glory. GSP attained glory, with no trash-talk. To me the accomplishments in the cage, and the talk and behavior outside of it, are two completely separate things.

Its plain as day what happened in the 3rd... Khabib didn't need to win that round, he just needed to survive it and tire McGregor out more so he can smash him later.

So he didn't try very hard to win it. Then he smashed him in the 4th.

I disagree. I saw Khabib try several times to get takedowns throughout round 3, fail to do so, and lose the round.

We can agree to disagree though, it's been a pretty civil chat, so cheers for that.

But he doesn't care, he is The Businessman so he wants a rematch.

You wouldn't be bragging about Conor taking the third if you had the whole picture. I mean we all know he did win the third, but it's very much a pyrrhic victory, especially for Conor's face.

You wouldn't be bragging about Conor taking the third if you had the whole picture. I mean we all know he did win the third, but it's very much a pyrrhic victory, especially for Conor's face.

Believe me, I'm not bragging. I find it hard to even be a fan of Conor at all, until he publicly apologizes for his behavior surrounding the bus incident (somewhere besides court). My fight analysis is totally separate from my feelings.

Probably because people on Sherdog said it would never happen, and it's really important to multi-millionaires to prove us wrong.
It actually is. When you have a lot of money, money doesn't matter as much anymore, just things like reputation.

Money. Some people value money above anything else in life.

It won a round for Conor. Which means if Conor could have kept that up, it could have been 3, 4, and 5 for Conor - even if they were not much damage, that would win him the fight.

Of course, that's a big "IF", because Conor would have to maintain that gas tank, as well as stop Khabib's takedowns - which he clearly could not, at least not enough of them. Still though, he did win that 3rd round. Becoming the first guy to ever take a round from Khabib.

At least you're trying...

Back