Conor's Legacy If He Wins

This will make him an all-time legend. There are a lot of people who can't stand that or simply can't handle it, so they'll be in shortly to tell you it means nothing because he didn't 'earn' his title shot or hasn't defended his other belt yet.

Is that not a logical argument though?

It's great that after Anderson, GSP and Bones teased us for years with potential champ vs. champ super fights we finally get to see one.
They were dominant champs. This "superfight" is against 2 guys with recent losses and not a single title defense between the 2 of them.

So when Conor defends a belt in the near future, what are the haters going to hate on?

I'm sure most will be glad when that actually happens.

Is that not a logical argument though?
No, it's trying to find anything you can to undermine an accomplishment that only 2 other fighters in the UFC's history have pulled off. And neither of those guys earned their shots either.

It's great that after Anderson, GSP and Bones teased us for years with potential champ vs. champ super fights we finally get to see one.
Funny thing is, it could have been done. The UFC knew that GSP would've gotten destroyed by Silva and didn't want any of that. The Bones/Silva matchup should have happened. One of the 2 would have been the true 2 class champ undisputedly!

riddle me this George, how would you rank BJ Penn if he had quit MMA after beating Gomi and Hughes? is his legacy stronger today, or more tarnished? what about in 2007 after losing to GSP? what about in 2009 after defending the LW belt a few times?

legacy is a weird thing, and it changes over time. if he wins the 155 belt in November he will be in a small group for sure. and the P4P debate will wage......almost exactly as stupidly and meaningfully (or lack thereof) as it is waged (raged?) if he loses. because P4P is stupid and meaningless. but people enjoy debating stupid and meaningless things. because they're bored.

if he sticks around and defends a belt for 4 or 5 times, that will impress me. which is why GSP's and Silva's accomplishments usually outshine BJ's, Couture's, and Hendo's.

I dont see this as that type of champ vs champ matchup. GSP, Anderson and Jones cleaned out their divisions. They fought and beat every style presented to them. Eddie just won the belt and Conor has major quesrions about him along with flat out refusing to defend the belt.
Good fight but definitely doesnt have the "champ vs champ" aura to it

No legacy until he actually defends something

No, it's trying to find anything you can to undermine an accomplishment that only 2 other fighters in the UFC's history have pulled off. And neither of those guys earned their shots either.
Undermine an accomplishment or something he was gifted? I'll give him the 145 belt win, no doubt. But he never defended it and gets a title shot in a weight class where he never fought. That's bull and we all know it

Funny thing is, it could have been done. The UFC knew that GSP would've gotten destroyed by Silva and didn't want any of that. The Bones/Silva matchup should have happened. One of the 2 would have been the true 2 class champ undisputedly!

Jones could never make 185. Dude is a 6'4" natural HW ffs

Undermine an accomplishment or something he was gifted? I'll give him the 145 belt win, no doubt. But he never defended it and gets a title shot in a weight class where he never fought. That's bull and we all know it
BJ was gifted both WW shots (first one, the one he won, without ever being LW champ and with no prior WW wins) and got the LW shot he finally succeeded in off one win because the belt wasn't held by anyone. Randy was gifted almost all of his title shots, lost as champ without losing his belt, and his only defenses are against Rizzo and Gonzaga. Yet he could lose at LHW and his next fight would be a HW title fight. All this while the UFC didn't have the monopoly on top talent they have today. Still outstanding accomplishments.

If Conor pulls this off he will be the most legitimate 2 division champ we've had in the UFC.

Last edited:
I know it's always feast or famine with anything related to Conor so maybe we can keep it civil, but would you consider this a legendary achievement? If you don't already consider him a great, would this do it for you?

This is an interesting fight to me because we have never seen Conor at 155 (in the UFC at least) and he is facing a guy many think will destroy him. He would be a 2 division champ with a good win at 170 as well. This is very impressive in the P4P discussions because rarely do you seem guys accomplish this stuff.

Thoughts?

I would consider him one of the greatest one trick ponies of all time.

His haters won't acknowledge his greatness until he goes in a time machine to 2005 to defeat Fedor. Even then they'll say he's ducking Cro Cop. It's never ending.

Those who know how great he is, know. Those who choose who hate will continue to be miserable as he dominates the sport for years to come.

Legacy my ass, filled with smoke & mirrors of being Cage Warriors 2 belt 2 division Champion never defending. UFC FW belt only belt that as not been defended this year while it's champ remains active outside the division. Receiving a LW title shot based of a **majority** decision fought @WW? How many nothing to risk but my pride fights is the UFC gonna allow him, Eddie loses he loses a belt (he won't lose) Conor loses he still has a belt and probably gets to leap frog everybody @BW for a title fight.

He's a natual LW that almost kills himself to make FW and is now fighting at his proper weight class for the LW belt.

A legacy is decided over time, like how GOATS Aldo, GSP, Cruz. JBJ etc. defended their belts multiple times over several years. If Conor can do the same then he would be considered alongside them (and bypass Aldo as the FW GOAT).

So far Conor's legacy is more to do with how much money he has made (not exactly a bad thing) and being the biggest draw in MMA.

It would be most legendary if he were to had defended his belt first rather than losing a fight & fighting outside his division then go on to beat a longtime LW champion...just saying...
Some lovely grammar on display there.

Impressive maybe...but not legendary. Dude needs to wrestle a bear to qualify for legendary.

You don't continually climb smaller mountains before challenging yourself with larger ones.

This is epic shit.

It's too bad GSP never did this kinda stuff.

History is going paint Conor with much friendlier strokes compared to GSP on account of his willingness to fight above his weight class.
Absolutely, McGregor lives on his chin and GSP never recovered after the loss to Serra.

It would be most legendary if he were to had defended his belt first rather than losing a fight & fighting outside his division then go on to beat a longtime LW champion...just saying...
I kind of agree with this - and really it's not the principle of having to defend your belt. It's that having to beat a few people and work your way up in the division is meaningful. Going 1-1 before fighting for a title is meh. He could KO alvarez, but if you gave everyone a chance to move up and fight the higher division champ, there will be some who get lucky and win. Conor doesn't need luck necessarily, but him beating alvarez alone vs him beating 2 people and then alvarez is much different.

Back