Considering training at Sinbi gym

Noodles03

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Hello, just like the title said, I'm really considering training at Sinbi gym just for the experience and to learn some muay thai. However, I never really train muay thai before nor I have ever been to Thailand. My question is, am I better off learning muay thai in the states (I live in California) and than go to Thailand? Also, since I've never been to Thailand, should I try to go with a group or is getting around Thailand kind of straight forward for a foreigner like my self? Thank you.

I went to Sinbi about 7 years ago but last time I went it was awesome. I had a really good time. If you see Pot there give him a shout out for me. He is a great trainer.

I would start training in America if possible, try to learn some western boxing too if you can. After you get your training up and have an amateur fight, then I would recommend going to Thailand.

I was 19 when I went by myself and I didn't speak a lick of Thai. You will be fine.

Pot no longer works at Sinbi. He's at Siam Muay Thai Academy in Chalong.

Sinbi is a different gym now, but I was there a few weeks ago and it was good. I've been going to Sinbi since it opened, having first met Sing while he was a trainer at Rawai Muay Thai. I've probably been back... maybe 10 times since. I think it's a good gym for your situation.

I would respectfully disagree with the poster above. I flew out to Thailand back in 2006 without having trained so much as a day prior. So I stayed there for a month and I learned muay Thai in Thailand. Then I came back, kept training in the States, and fought as an amateur shortly after I came back. I think that, if you have the ability to do something like that, it can be very beneficial.

Thank you for responding. Question for you guys, was it difficult to get around places far as communicating with a taxi driver?

If you're uncomfortable on a scooter, stay close to the gym (there are a ton of options) and rent a bicycle. Taxis in that area are difficult to come by. You can't just stand outside and wave one down; you'll have to hire one through a shop. The good thing is nearly every shop can put you in touch with a taxi driver, but it'll cost you. They're not metered taxis like Bangkok. The half-hour trip to Patong, for instance, is likely to cost you 600-800 THB versus the ~300 or so it would cost you in Bangkok.

Honestly, you can stay within walking or biking distance of the gym and have access to absolutely everything you need. There are restaurants everywhere, massage shops, laundry shops, etc. I wouldn't recommend staying at the gym as it's a bit overpriced and there are better options a stone's throw away.

And yes, nearly everyone in that area speaks at least some English. You'll be fine not knowing a word of Thai, but you're a visitor, so learn the basics. It's not too difficult to be able to say "hello", "thank you", etc. It's polite.

Thank you Gotobread for the info and hopefully I'll be leaving soon.

Enjoy. Drop me a line if you need anything else. Like I said, I was in the area just a few weeks ago and I know the area very well.

How much would you budget for 2 months to live and train there?
@gotobread

Last edited:
Outside of training - which is obviously a fixed rate for all - there's a lot of flexibility in your other expenses. At the gym, you can save a little bit if you pay for a bunch of classes in advance. That only makes sense if you plan on attending every single session, otherwise you're throwing your money away. But as far as accommodation goes, there's a lot of wiggle room. Definitely not as much as somewhere less touristy, but there are still bargains to be found if you don't mind staying somewhere that's just okay. I found my last room on Airbnb and there are a lot of cheap rooms available through the site. You can find some in the area for $15-19 a night. The price you pay for food can also vary quite a bit. There are plenty of restaurants in the area that will serve you chicken with fried rice for 30-35THB. Keep your drinking down to a minimum, walk or rent a bicycle rather than a scooter (which is usually another 200-250THB a day) and you can keep your expenses low.

I'd take a month of classes and start running a few miles a day before going just so your body is conditioned to the movements and rigors of muay thai.

Outside of training - which is obviously a fixed rate for all - there's a lot of flexibility in your other expenses. At the gym, you can save a little bit if you pay for a bunch of classes in advance. That only makes sense if you plan on attending every single session, otherwise you're throwing your money away. But as far as accommodation goes, there's a lot of wiggle room. Definitely not as much as somewhere less touristy, but there are still bargains to be found if you don't mind staying somewhere that's just okay. I found my last room on Airbnb and there are a lot of cheap rooms available through the site. You can find some in the area for $15-19 a night. The price you pay for food can also vary quite a bit. There are plenty of restaurants in the area that will serve you chicken with fried rice for 30-35THB. Keep your drinking down to a minimum, walk or rent a bicycle rather than a scooter (which is usually another 200-250THB a day) and you can keep your expenses low.
Is the water safe to drink there? Is bottled water expensive? How do I avoid getting tossed from a tall building? I heard lots of foreigners have accidents.

Is the water safe to drink there? Is bottled water expensive? How do I avoid getting tossed from a tall building? I heard lots of foreigners have accidents.

The water is not safe to drink there. You can grab a large bottled water from the 7-11 for 14THB. Some hotels will provide you with a couple of bottled waters a day.

I've been there... 12 times? 13 times? I have yet to fall off a building. Just don't do anything (too) stupid.

Back