Contender Fight Sports Jel World Bag Gloves Review (w/ pics)

joeymarvelous

ALL THE BELTS!!!
@Orange
Reaction score
Hi. I picked these up around Xmas when Ringside had 35% off gloves. They're listed with a never used, just kidding price of $99 but seem to be always on sale for $39.99. Still, my buying them for $34 after shipping must have upset someone, because Contender Fight Sports was excluded from the next time they ran the same sale around Valentine's.

First impressions:
Before I touched them I thought the Leather looked wrinkly, and after I touched them I was amazed at how nice the leather is. I'm surprised to say it, but the leather is right around Fairtex quality, perhaps softer though slightly less thick. The leather is thicker and softer than my Twins, but less so than my friend's Cleto Reyes.

Oddly the website said the large size would come in 17 oz, but the tag on the glove says 12oz. I don't have a scale, but I'd guess they feel 15ish. They fit my long alien fingers really well though, even at the thumb, which is a problem in most gloves for me.

Pinching and squeezing the glove demonstrates a very thin padding layer, like immediate bottom out.

Inside the glove the lining is very thick. I'm reminded more of my Under Armour Track Pants than the usual satin feel. When I first put them on it's so tight to the fingertip that I wonder about finger placement, until it's nudged aside and I work my fingers in, and afterward it's stayed in place fell. However, between the thick lining and a too thick gripbar, proper fist may be an issue for those with shorter fingers. Seriously, the gripbar feels nearly double the thickness of most, and fortunately has a soft and squishy feel to allow a proper fist.

Pulling my hand out of the glove the first time I got a papercut from the warning label, and always wear hand wraps now.

Wrist support:
The D-ring strap pulls the glove tight enough to gain some points, but the flimsy padding used at the inner wrist allows too much play in the wrist for truly complete support.

Performance:
An odd thing about these gloves is that for the first two or three days of use there was no pop, just a dull thudding sound against the bag, but after that brief break in I get a great pop, but only when I land perfectly on correct knuckles. I doubt that Ringside's designers could really have anticipated that, but it adds an auditory level to technique feedback that I've enjoyed.

As expected from the thin padding/gel there is a lot of feedback at the knuckles, but oddly no after training pain, and the lining, while crazy thick, dries pretty fast.

So, while these gloves offer some idiosyncrasies that definitely detract from their total score, at the end of the day they strike a fine balance of feedback and protection, and one could ask little more from a bag glove. Only time will tell if they find themselves durable, but so far I really like the gloves overall. 8/10

con1.jpg con2.jpg con3.jpg con4.jpg

Last edited:
Almost forgot to mention, the shipping was insanely fast, around 36hrs from order to door, so that's always nice.

The picture above makes them look gigantic, but that's mostly due to the compactness of the KO's. If I hadn't already gotten rid of my Twins I'd have included them in the picture to show what a bulky glove looks like beside it, but in terms of profile the contenders are medium sized.

Thanks a lot for your review. I was wondering about CFS for a while. They seem to be a good cheap alternative to the Title Gel world bag gloves.

Been a while since we saw a regular company product review. I kind of miss them ;)

I agree, it's good to have a variety of brands and gears to look at.

In case Seabass (or any lurkers) were wondering the Contenders are holding up great, outside of some paint wear they're good as new. Really fun to use, if you're looking for that "puncher's glove" feel. Would definitely buy again, even if I couldn't get quite as sweet a deal, and at what I paid it's an absolute steal.

Holy hell, Ringside must have seen my review, I just checked the website and they're 70 now! So, I guess I'll check back in after a couple more months to let you know if the gloves last long enough to be worth that price.

In case Seabass (or any lurkers) were wondering the Contenders are holding up great, outside of some paint wear they're good as new. Really fun to use, if you're looking for that "puncher's glove" feel. Would definitely buy again, even if I couldn't get quite as sweet a deal, and at what I paid it's an absolute steal.

Thanks a lot for the update

If I can get them on discount, I will pull the plug. Sadly Ringside's distributor in Canada never go on sale

Cái đầu của máy thằng nhật bỏn ghê thật

Đó là 2 điều em muốn hỏi ạ. Ae nào rõ thì chỉ cho em với. Em cảm ơn

Back