Cool Runnings (1993)

G

Guestx

Cool-Runnings.jpg

After I got my fill of Stranger Things last night I found Cool Runnings on Netflix and was like, damn, it's been YEARS since I last watched that fucking movie. So I went ahead and gave it a look.

It was still pretty entertaining and it's interesting that it's actually based on a true story. Now that I think about it, Disney has a pretty good track record when it comes to films that are based on real events. I also enjoyed Miracle, Remember the Titans and Queen of Katwe.

This is one of the final films that John Candy made before he died and he is good in it, as he was good in just about everything he did. But I have to say, holy shit, he is fucking MASSIVE in this movie. It was actually a bit hard to watch in that way, because as you're watching this heavier-than-ever-before John Candy you know the whole time in the back of your mind that he died of a heart attack very soon after.

Overall though, this is a fun film that holds up pretty well 25 years later. Anyone have thoughts on it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoy this movie the times I catch it on, despite none of the main guys being actual Jamaicans and having godawful Jamaican accents

You ever see the last movie Candy made, "Wagon's East". Dude had to pushing 400lbs. I remember at some family get together, my uncle making a joke when the trailer came on TV. It showed Candy sitting on a horse, and he's like "Man, that has to be violating some kind of animal cruelty law."

Anyways, yeah "Cool Runnings" is pretty good.

Movie lies to you, makes Jamaica look like this cool friendly place when the truth is it's a shithole and people will kill you

You ever see the last movie Candy made, "Wagon's East". Dude had to pushing 400lbs. I remember at some family get together, my uncle making a joke when the trailer came on TV. It showed Candy sitting on a horse, and he's like "Man, that has to be violating some kind of animal cruelty law."

Anyways, yeah" Cool Runnings" is pretty good.

I never did see Wagon's East. But yeah, JC was always a big dude, but he was really pushing shit to new levels at the end of his life. It's a damn shame.

Now that I think about it, the last movie with him I saw was Canadian Bacon and it was terrible.

Canadian bacon rules.

That was one of, if not my favorite movie growing up.
Saw it a few years ago and it was still good.
I know it’s Disney, but a few marijuana references wouldn’t have hurt

Written, Produced, and Directed by Micheal Moore. Yes, that Micheal Moore.

Yeah. That's hilarious.

I'm surprised the movie has anything higher than a 0% on RT. I mean, who would turn in a positive review?

It's a decent movie, but like someone else said, the acting is a bit cringe worthy since they are pretending to be Jamaican.

It's a decent movie, but like someone else said, the acting is a bit cringe worthy since they are pretending to be Jamaican.

Maybe it's because I've never been to Jamaica, but I honestly had no idea they weren't Jamaican.

They made a reference or two about the one Rasta in the group. It's not like every Jamaican is lighting up, it's more illegal there than it is here, the Rastafaris are a minority.

"Hey, Jamaica! Watch out for Number Twelve turn. Scary, ja?"

I have no idea why, but that line always made me guffaw on the sofa.

Now that I think about it, Disney has a pretty good track record when it comes to films that are based on real events. I also enjoyed Miracle, Remember the Titans and Queen of Katwe.

Yeah but here the based on real events basically amounts to... there actually is a Jamacian bobsled team.

Funnily enough, the villainous East Germans in the movie was actually some of the teams biggest supporters in real life (pretty much everyone was really friendly and positive at their involvement). If memory serves, they actually lent one of their own spare bobsleds to the Jamaicans when their own bobsled was damaged.

Now that I think about it, the last movie with him I saw was Canadian Bacon and it was terrible.

You're just angry that they used the Omega Squad against caucasians.:D

Don’t you get sick of the same cheesy movies ? Superhero garbage ? Besides stranger things Netflix is trash.
You're tripping, Bojack Horseman is probably the best animated show out there and that includes Rick & Morty as much as it pains me to say. Atypical is a great show. I really like Orange Is the New Black, though I haven't seen the last season and I know there's plenty of people who don't like it on this site. Narcos gets a ton of praise. Making a Murderer was really well received and played a role in a man being released from prison. There's no way you can call Netflix trash if you're judging their original content.

Back