Corner Man Podcast w/Muay Thai World Champion Jason Fenton

Centaur

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Hey All! It's been a bit since I've posted on Sherdog but I recently started a podcast where I interview fighters on their training regimen and other aspects surrounding competition. The plan is to interview lots of competitors from different styles and get a run down on what they do before fights.

In the second episode I interviews WKA and IKF World Champion Jason "Iron Man" Fenton. He's fought guys like Jongsanan Fairtex and other top Thai fighters.

I'm pretty new to this so if you have any feedback that would be great. Also if there's anything else you would like to hear from the fighters let me know. I have a Pro Boxer from Wild Card scheduled and a someone who recently started fighting in the UFC.

Anywho, here's the link for the episode - you can get it on ITunes and Google play, Stitcher etc. as well.

Haven't got a chance to listen to it yet, but do you know anything about his gym Iron City MT? Noticed it has been closed it seems for quite awhile.

Haven't got a chance to listen to it yet, but do you know anything about his gym Iron City MT? Noticed it has been closed it seems for quite awhile.

His gym near Olympic Village closed awhile ago. He re-opened on Broadway and Frasier. That building is being torn down so he moved everything over half a block west. I think the new address is 450 E. Broadway.

His gym near Olympic Village closed awhile ago. He re-opened on Broadway and Frasier. That building is being torn down so he moved everything over half a block west. I think the new address is 450 E. Broadway.

Cool man thanks for the update. Are you currently training in the area? I'm out in PoCo looking for a place to start training again. Retired from fighting after a spinal disease diagnosis a few years back and would like to slowly try to get back into it part time.

Best of luck with the podcast.

Ya I am in the same area as Iron City.

Out in PoCo there's Sal's gym, The Clinch which I trained at years ago and is pretty good. There's also Scorpion gym which I hear is pretty good as well.

And thanks, it's a bit of a challenge co-ordinating schedules with fighters but I am enjoying it so far!

His gym on Broadway (the second one) is also closed, just like the 5 iterations before it.

For PoCo, Sal's will be hard to beat. Closer to Coquitlam/Burnaby, Titan is very good with Ken Tran for striking and Nabil Salameh for 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu (if you're into no-gi). I could be mistaken, but I believe Nabil is the highest ranked 10th Planet guy in Canada.

On the Surrey side, I couldn't recommend WKX more for striking. They have a new person running their BJJ program too.

In Vancouver, for MMA, DCS is hard to beat.

What is a world champion in Muay Thai? Is it for people unable to fight in the Bangkok stadiums?

Do you not understand how titles work in combat sports?

Jason Fenton's pedigree and titles when it comes to Muay Thai are well documented.

I understand that some titles are like participation awards.

Once again, his pedigree is well-known, and you can Google it and see the archives from the IKF directly yourself, among others.

Let me know after you've fought the likes of Kongnapa, Jongsanan, etc...

your argument doesnt make sense
so if the poster can't beat the same fighters that Jason something beat, he can't express his opinion that the word " world title " here is bullshit ? is this what you are trying to say ?

your argument doesnt make sense
so if the poster can't beat the same fighters that Jason something beat, he can't express his opinion that the word " world title " here is bullshit ? is this what you are trying to say ?

Now what I am and have said is that combat sports have many organizations, and that the way they award belts is well known and easy to research, as is Jason's pedigree.

If you don't know who the people I mentioned are (BTW, for the record, he definitely didn't beat Kongnapa, as Kong broke Jason's arm in the first round from kicks, and Jason finally quit in the third, and I think he also lost to Jongsanan.), and what you need to fight them, along with what the specific titles he won are, you're not qualified to judge.

Those are certainly not "participation awards". You're the one who are claiming they are "bullshit", so you provide your reason for that, if you can.

For the record, I do know one person who lied his way into a fight with Kongnapa in '99, but it was obvious from both the result and his past record that he had no business being in there. The promoter bought his story of past titles which was very glorified. That's much harder in today's age.

Last edited:
Once again, his pedigree is well-known, and you can Google it and see the archives from the IKF directly yourself, among others.

Let me know after you've fought the likes of Kongnapa, Jongsanan, etc...

nice EBT!

Being a world champion implies that at some point you were the best in the world or that you won a championship that the best fighters competed for. Most of us know that isn't the case for most world championship titles in muay thai. I think MrBator is suggesting we don't make use of these arbitrary titles, not that he thinks it's easy to obtain one or that he could do better himself. To simply say IKF Champion and WKA Champion would be a bit less misleading IMO.

I can't open the podcast though,the link just takes me to podiant front page.

Last edited:
Thanks. That was him at one year old. He just turned thirteen.

nice, i have a bandogge, apbt, and a american bully, 14, 12, and 11! nothing too serious but have done some bitework training with them etc.

Back