Elections New Jersey Democratic Senator Cory "Spartacus" Booker Launches 2020 Presidential Bid

Arkain2K

Si vis pacem, para bellum
@Steel
Reaction score
Better get on it, Kamala! Cory got the announcement out before you!

Booker: It would be ‘irresponsible’ not to consider running for president
September 19, 2018

bookercory_090618gn4_lead.jpg

Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) indicated in a new interview he is weighing a run for the White House in 2020, saying it would be "irresponsible" not to entertain the idea.

"Of course the presidency will be something I consider. It would be irresponsible not to," Booker said in a profile published Wednesday in New York Magazine.

Booker, who has long been considered one of the most likely Democrats to launch a presidential campaign, told the publication that his colleague and fellow potential presidential candidate Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) encouraged him to remain focused on positivity, as he has done in the past.

"She said to me, 'If you want to talk about love and kindness and decency, talk about those things, because it's where you are,'" Booker said. "I feel like if I start poll-testing or shaping myself, where we start operating out of fear, I think that's going to dim my light and my impact."

Booker, Gillibrand and Sens. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) and Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) are seen as among the most likely lawmakers to wade into the 2020 race. All have been staunch opponents of President Trump's agenda.

Booker garnered the spotlight during Senate Judiciary Committee hearings earlier this month for Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh. The New Jersey senator declared he was having a "Spartacus moment" when he said he intended to release documents that were deemed confidential.

Booker said he did so under threat from Senate Republicans, adding that he was breaking Senate rules by releasing the documents.

Conservatives were quick to mock the display, in part because a lawyer representing the George W. Bush administration, for which Kavanaugh worked, had already released the documents in question.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate...e-not-to-consider-running-for-president?amp=1

Update:

Last edited:
He seems phony to me. I'm not sure what it is, but it always seems like he's putting on an act.

He seems phony to me. I'm not sure what it is, but it always seems like he's putting on an act.

Yeah I've heard him interviewed on a few podcasts and everything he says sounds like focus tested and written for a campaign speech.

Not a fan at all.

Booker anywhere near the 2020 dem ticket would be political suicide.

"If you want to talk about love and kindness and decency, talk about those things"

<JagsKiddingMe>
<DisgustingHHH>

I'm not a fan. If I could go back I would probably vote for Obama again, but I don't think I could vote for Booker. He's not that smart, thinks only in politicalese, and doesn't have that oz. of realness that made Barack Hussein Obama palatable. Bookers political style is hack. Just hack.

We've got a guy in office that's made pompous shithead statement after pompous shithead statement.

Not sure what I'm supposed to be taking away from this as a headline

This isn’t surprising. All you have to do is see who’s making trips to Iowa and N.H lately. He’s one of many doing so. It’s going to be a crowded field much like the 2016 GOP primary.

that's a guaranteed loss for them if he somehow wins the nod

California dems, like Harris, will have a bigger advantage with California moving it’s primary up by a lot this year.

Not in my top five choices, but obviously I’d vote for him over Drmpf.

For the record, Biden/ Booker would have been the strongest Dem ticket in 2016 and they would have won the general election by six- to- seven points... about the largest landslide possible in current national politics.

I think the moment has passed for that ticket, though.

Last edited:
Back