Costa performance theories

He didn’t know how to close distance safely. He couldn’t throw anything without being countered

So he froze

Izzy outclassed him, plain and simple
Do I think Costa also had a bad night? yeah I think so

He just had no chance, too slow to get close to him with his alligator arms and try to clinch or something, he got kicked in the face trying to close the gap and then knocked down the 2nd time

Adesanya is probably the best striker in UFC and many predicted he will move and counter strike Costa into a win but...

Costa did almost nothing, so, what happened?

My theory is Costa has not the cardio to go full brawler like he does in 3 round fights so he and his team had the plan to fight in a very energy saving state for the first 2 rounds to unleash the full power in the last 3 rounds...

That makes sense but in the first 2 rounds Izzy made enough harm in the legs, body and a cut that make Costa hesitant and worried, he lost confidence and got caught.

Izzy is a fantastic fighter, the best striker in UFC, undisputed champion and the favorite, but I think Costa would have done much more in a 3 round fight (or with an oxygen tube maybe lol)

Or do you really think Izzy is in a whole different level compared to Costa ? Because the common opponents they have and their results are not that different
Izzy is just too good. No one beats him.

He froze costa with feints, had great movement. His jab was strong and he worked the kicks well. Made costa gun shy and not letting him get a chance to get going.

Izzy hits harder than any other mw I've seen step into that cage, he counters so well and has great positioning. He's tough, mentally strong and literally bends the style of others with the way he goes about movement etc.

Paulo tried to reserve energy, his corner said everything was perfect but it wasn't, paulo just threw a leg kick and body kick, israel turned him, hit him with the left hook.

As soon as that left landed it was over. He made a big man like that limp and cover up.

Jared won't beat him if he gets past whittaker, and if whittaker beats jared, he won't beat izzy, because robert can't compete with him at all. Darren Till is probably the best guy but still

It seems like Izzy has the Anderson Silva effect now where opponents will freeze up when they're in the cage

If there's anyone who you would guess wouldn't do that it would be Costa, but it didn't play out like that

costa looked incompetent. Its obvious that standing with Izzy is going to be a kickboxing fight and that Izzy throws leg kicks. This guy should have been in Thailand or Holland training Muay Thai for this fight. He could have even taken a traditional thai stance. Whats Adesanya gonna do? shoot for a takedown?

I think it was a combination of bad game plan, being outmatched on the feet by Adesenya, and possibly freezing up on the big stage. I almost wish he'd went for a takedown because it was clear by the end of the 1st round that he had no answer for Izzy's striking.

israel-adesanya-paulo-costa-ufc-253-video.jpg

yh3edkxex1w41.jpg

Honestly it looked entirely a mental failure on Costa's part, he never pressed Israel...only once and when it failed he seemed to quit and just sit back and try to clown...it was a horrendous performance, considering this is the man that walked down Romero, which is what I was expecting him to do vs Israel and in my mind was his only path to victory...instead he chose to keep at distance..giving Israel the best position in the fight he could ask for.

So yeah I think after all the shit Costa talked he mentally folded in the cage.

Back