Could $40 feed a family of five?

You can go to Arby's and do the 4 roast beef sandwiches for $10 4 times that would be 16 sandwiches to split amongst 4 people. It would probably be more like $44 with taxes so even if you only did that 3 times that would still 12 sandwiches for 4 people.

TS is clearly referring to a single meal at a restaurant and everyone here listing their dollar tree grocery list. The real answer here is Costco. Feeding a family of 5 for under 10 bucks, honestly it's a miracle.

TS is clearly referring to a single meal at a restaurant and everyone here listing their dollar tree grocery list. The real answer here is Costco. Feeding a family of 5 for under 10 bucks, honestly it's a miracle.

Yeah. Even outside of hot dogs, greasy pizzas, and chicken bakes a giant rotisserie chicken for 5 dollars, a 18 dollar sack of rice, and 4 bucks for a huge bag of cauliflower/broccoli.... can't beat it. Give me 200 bucks in Costco and I can make meals for a family of 5 for 2 weeks or more. Just takes planning.

Rice and ground beef or lamb add carrot and onion. I make this at home and usually feed 6. Quick easy fake Plov.

I saw a sonic burger advertisement on social. I think it's like 5 double quarter lb burgers for 10 bucks.

If you go to budget Chinese food, yes, panda, no , portions too small

Edit: i take it back, if you have small children then yes

40 bucks gets 3 - 3 entre meals. That's 9 entre portions and a bunch of rice or/an noodles..

Littlest gets 1 entre an some rice.

Rest get 2 entres and rice /noodles.

Family fed for under 49 bucks at Panda.....not ideal but very possible. Takes a little ingenuity isxall

what a boring question. here's a better one:

What is the most money you could spend feeding a family of 5?

(Bonus question, what is the most money you could spend feeding a family of 5 vegans?)

Very cool posts, so many have rice & beans listed - with some meat or tofu.

Seeing lard here is new to me, have just seen it used in biscuits.

How is the lard used, and with what, in the food prep process ?
I've never actually purchased lard. I've always used left over bacon grease, which is lard plus whatever they use to season bacon with. You use lard just like any other fat though. Some bacon grease makes most beans and most greens taste better than canola or olive oil. It's also used in making home made tortillas.

I've never actually purchased lard. I've always used left over bacon grease, which is lard plus whatever they use to season bacon with. You use lard just like any other fat though. Some bacon grease makes most beans and most greens taste better than canola or olive oil. It's also used in making home made tortillas.
Thanks, and using bacon grease to saute onions when starting off improves flavor in all mentioned above.

Easily?
Costco food court, propbably can for 20 ish

How many of the family are under 12?

Assuming OP meant restaurant prices for 5 ...

Long John Silver & Captain D can do it. Taco Bell, too.
Most "mid-tier" Italian places if you split the entrees (which is still too much food for one person to be healthy).

Don't know much about the other chains these days.
When is the last time you were at a taco bell? I could spend 40 dollars on myself there.

Ive read store bought canned tomatoes may give you cancer because of the lining on the cans. Might be a good idea to not eat them from cans alot.
Italy in shambles rn.

Back