Could a 30 year old whose never thrown a punch become UFC champion by 40?

Now that I think about it, there are a bunch of dudes that did this. But the key is that you bring over useful skills and traits from other sports.

But couture, Brock, cormier, all did it

CM Punk tried, didn't end well for him.

If you're INSANELY motivated, maybe. At 40, it might be a bit of a stretch. If its for a couple of fights for lower level promotions it could be possible. Unfortunately, it won't blossom into a long career. Example, look at Fred Ettish. He got embarassed at one of the early UFC tournaments, came back almost 20 years later and won 2 MMA fights for smaller promotions at the age of 51. Keep in mind, dude was criticized by the traditional martial arts community, going through a divorce, his son died and STILL had the focus to go and win 2 MMA fights for small promotions.

If you're doing it to push yourself, go for it. If you think that you can build a LONG career as a professional its highly unlikely.

UFC Champion? Unless you're a physical specimen like Brock Lesnar, then probably not. But a local MMA event champion, sure.

Female, world champion bjj in a uncompetitive division.

He's only 32 and has improved a shitload since his debut, if he keeps improving he could wear the strap at one point. (Have said this before and got shouted down, I'm sure you'd do the same ha ha)
If Greg Hardy even becomes champion I will do a shoey with hot sauce in it and post it on Sherdog.

If Teddy Riner had switched to MMA at 30 I'm sure he'd have had a chance.

In the words of some old dude that got the stories of I Am Sam and Milk crossed: "Oh, that's about the first retarded mayor. Anything is possible these days."

I’d say that 20+ years ago it would have been difficult but not impossible

Today there’s zero chance

Mma has evolved into it’s own art that has been refined with high level professional practitioners that have taken fighting to levels the world has never seen before. A 30 year old wouldn’t have the recovery, athleticism, or mental elasticity to reach that level while also battling the beginning of the aging process where all those things begin to decline

In my humble opinion

So... what do you think?
If you have the money maybe but it would be something like 3 hours of kickboxing with great coaches and 3 hours of grappling with great coaches. 6 hours a day plus strength and conditioning.

Back