Could Gaethje's defense/chin be a problem?

HeDidn'tWantTheFight

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've seen some people question Chandler's chin going up against possibly the hardest puncher in the division. However, I haven't seen anyone bring up Gaethje's going against a guy who did to Hooker in half a round what Dustin couldn't do in five. Whether it's a result of a weak chin or eating big shots as a consequence of his brawling fight style, nobody can deny that Justin's been hurt in the octagon quite a bit. In eight UFC fights he's been badly wobbled by MJ, knocked out by Eddie, knocked out by Dustin, and nearly dropped by Ferguson.

Justin might want to resist his natural tendency to get in a brawl with Chandler and stick to the leg kicks instead. Dana's adopted Bellator child hits harder than anyone of the guys mentioned above.

His chin is great, and his defense showed significant improvement after his fights against Dustin/Eddie/MJ. Whoever wins this fight is just straight-up the better striker.

Obviously I could be wrong but I think Chandler will decide to wrestle here though. I don't think he wants to keep exchanging with Justin the whole fight. If they get into a brawl, it'll be Chandler who goes to sleep first.

I love Chandler, but if he decides to turn this into a standup war with Gaethje, he will go to sleep… probably within the first 2 rounds.

His chin is great, and his defense showed significant improvement after his fights against Dustin/Eddie/MJ. Whoever wins this fight is just straight-up the better striker.

Obviously I could be wrong but I think Chandler will decide to wrestle here though. I don't think he wants to keep exchanging with Justin the whole fight. If they get into a brawl, it'll be Chandler who goes to sleep first.
But has his chin really been tested and held up since his defense improved
<seedat>

chin doesn’t matter against chandler. hooker’s chin is ridiculous and chandler sat him down like a toddler. the question is if gaethje decides to box or kickbox. if he chops chandler down from the opening bell, he wins. if he decides to box it out like the alvarez/johnson fights, chandler is gonna hurt him badly.

I think Chandler can catch him with that speed and power and possibly put Gaethje out or rock him long enough to catch a sub.

That said, I think if it stays standing too long, Chandler will probably be the one going out.

Feel like a lot of people are underestimating Chandler here.

Chandler will be dangerous for the first 5-10 min, after this Gaethje will drown him

As far as Gaethje’s chin goes, he has only been finished after emptying his gas tank, and breaking… I highly doubt Chandler has what it takes to break Justin, his cardio is too big of an issue

his chin is defiantly becoming or going to become a problem soon with his fight style (Just Bleed)

Gaethje gets rocked a lot, I wouldn't say his chin is great as opposed to his recovery is great. He doesn't necessarily eat big shots like nothing he gets hurt he just goes into chaos mode and survives. Not a bad chin though, but he's definitely not eating any flush shots from chandy

MMA calculator

Chin
Justin > Chandler

Cardio
Chandler > Justin

Pace
Chandler > Justin

Strength
Chandler > Justin

Kicks
Justin > Chandler

Punches
Chandler > Justin

Wrestling
Chandler > Justin

Everything else virtually identical

Two of my favorite fighters but Gaedthe's leg kicks are going to be the difference.

Chandler doesn't really check leg kicks very well.

Chandler is probably the ultimate LW glass cannon.

Gaethje has ok defense and a decent chin. As seen in the end of second round against Tony, Justin can be stunned bad and still come back and dominate a fight.

His defence and awareness is good but I think footwork is the issue with his defence.
Poirier and Alveraz were able to escape danger using their feet.

but with Gaethjes new found counter game and his improved pace I think the leg kicks will quickly make anybody’s footwork advantages go away and he’s got such good timing that you can’t just charge into him like Chandler did against Hooker.

Chandler will win and Sherdog will start the "he was never that good" parade

He gets put on wobbly legs every other fight. Chandler hits pretty damn hard.

Back