Could it be, that the more advanced the sport becomes, the less size advantage matters?

Weight will make a difference when facing a high level grappler

Height/reach will make a difference when facing high level striker

Usually when “smaller” guys are having success in weight class above is when they face fighter of similar size

No he wouldn't. Unless the average man has different meaning in different places. Not some non athletic desk slouch. That's all a long back n forth for another topic though, no ones opinion will be swayed.

He really would. It's something I've seen numerous times, in the street, in gyms, and on youtube.

Your average big tough guy is getting absolutely wrecked, and quickly, by any decent pro MMA fighter or boxer.

He really would. It's something I've seen numerous times, in the street, in gyms, and on youtube.

Your average big tough guy is getting absolutely wrecked, and quickly, by any decent pro MMA fighter or boxer.
Yup, its hard to convince people of this because there is a complex where people just can’t believe a smaller person could ever beat them in a fight. It really boils down to peoples lack of knowledge about physical fights. Its a subject where everyone has an opinion but few have actually “felt” it.

One big misconception is how size works. Size is an advantage. It is an advantage that manifests in basically every exchange. However size wont ever let you just over power someone. Especially if they are trained. If you look at a smaller fighter that you are way bigger than and think “I could beat them by just overpowering them” unless you are prime Bob Sapp, you are probably wrong.

untrained in what? combat sports? sports in general?

Conor is 160-170 lbs big and he fought mountain (big mountain was just playin around while conor went 200%),

but that fight could have ended right here:
giphy.gif
he could have literally picked him up and thrown him into the next room.

More like the opposite. The more the sport advances, the better the technique of the average fighter. That makes weight matter more.

What in gods name makes you think weight doesn't matter??? Yes, we see fighters doing better when they move up in weight, but that's specifically because the ban on IV rehydration has hurt fighters following the rules. Only guys like Khabib, who I strongly believe is illegally using IV rehydration, are able to keep cutting extreme amounts of weight and succeed.

Of course. Ants are small and strong and big ants are not much stronger than the slightly smaller ants (talking same kind of ants just size differences). It is natural that size will matter less to humans if made more like ants

I think the opposite. As guys get more well rounded and skilled, size may be the differentiator.

This is the answer.

Almost everyone has access to the same information now on diet, training, conditioning. As they equal out, physical gifts and being the appropriate size for your weight division will become much more important.

Generally speaking, the more advanced and mature the sport gets, the smaller the margins will be. With smaller margins, details become more important.

Take for example cardio heavy, classic sports like track and field, marathons, cross country skiing and similar... Good technique and getting enough quality hours in is of course essential, but to really be up there with the best your oxygen uptake needs to be insane. No matter how skilled you are or how hard you train, you will never get to the top if you don't have the physical characteristics for it.

Considering this in MMA, I would believe that size (and even more importantly body composition and type) will be more important as time goes on, unless the sport becomes less popular.
Exactly. It used to be that a tiny BJJ guy could pretzel a huge musclebound guy who was clueless on the ground. Now almost everyone knows enough BJJ to evade all but the highest level practitioners sub attempts. It's only a matter of time before striking and wrestling get to that point.

When that happens, it's going to (again) be a decisive advantage to be as big, strong and well conditioned as possible come fight night.

There's only one way to settle this. Bring back the open weight tourney!
:meow:

Top fighters , oh hell yea I agree. But not any pro. Some of them slip out the amay circuit somehow and don't belong. There are pros in other orgs that can't quite cut it.

I think the opposite. As guys get more well rounded and skilled, size may be the differentiator.

This. Royce Gracie weighed 2 lbs and won early UFC because nobody else had technique, now everyone has technique so size matters more.

There will always be a point where weight can nullify skill. Which is why the average man laughs at the 125-135 division. But the top 5 should be able to beat the #20-15 in class above them.

The average man is still going to get his ass beat by a high level professional fighter.

We're seeing people moving up weightclasses and being very successful nowadays, did people not try this before or is it working now because technique, training and game planning/strategies have come so much further?

Here are two fighters who moved up and became champs, DC too but he was HW from the start, and size at heavyweight is only an advantage up to a point anyway.

GrandUnnaturalKilldeer-size_restricted.gif

PeskyGreatChrysalis-size_restricted.gif

tumblr_osttmcLXq01u6fe5yo1_500.gif

4dib6didmc721.gif
Its exactly the opposite.
The more homogeneous the technical aspects of MMA turn Size and athleticism became the bige differential .

Weight cutting is shit.
One day we will all be free from that disgrace and wonder how and why the fuck that took place back then.
I hope it happens soon.

Back