Could Jon Jones leaving start a trend with fighters who aren’t happy?

Lots of fighters aren't happy and know they should be making more

Outside of Conor, very few have the power to do anything about it

Eventually it will lead to the UFC actually paying fighters a more significant chunk of revenue.

But, for now they're robbing the fighters blind and looking to hold out on it for as long as possible.

If enough fighters start joining in, create a union and establish something similar to the Ali act in mma. It will be a very different game

So far they've done everything in their power to stop it

But eventually these cases will add up to the point where the UFC has no way out. The bubble is just waiting to pop.

Several premier fighters, such as Rory and Mousasi have already left because other orgs were offering them more money, so it’s not out of the question. And the fighters honestly should have already unionized years ago. Fighter pay is absolutely a problem in MMA. The UFC’s profit share percentage pales in comparison to other sports. Yeah the big time elite guys are worth more than they make, but it becomes a real problem with the lower-mid tier fighters that make peanuts and have to start Go FundMe pages and shit. That being said, I think Jon will be back.

All the champs should unite n refuse to fight until their demands are met. They would have much more leverage collectively

Several premier fighters, such as Rory and Mousasi have already left because other orgs were offering them more money, so it’s not out of the question. And the fighters honestly should have already unionized years ago. That being said, I think Jon will be back.
They should but it's very unorganized

It's a very difficult battle to fight if you're not at the absolute top of the food chain

You go down that road, all of a sudden matchmakers throw you to the wolves and you are left in a far worse position to provide for your family.

It's the old saying, don't bite the hand that feeds you. They hold the ability to destroy your career at a moments notice.

Eventually the pressure will be too much, the bubble will pop and we'll realize just how badly fighters have been screwed over.

Honestly if everyone in the top 5 of each divisions came together and did this I bet Dana would be on his knees trying to talk to them and get them what they want. Like imagine a card where the lightweight belt is being defended by Al Iaquinta vs Dan Hooker on a numbered card because everybody else refuses to fight. That shit would get absolutely clowned by us let’s not lie. It takes people for change and if the top 5 guys are ok with their pay I guess it’s cool then but I don’t want to hear any of them complain after the fact about money.

Jones doesn't give a shit about fighter pay, he cares about his pay.

If they paid everyone else less to pay him more, I'm sure he'd be okay with that.

The fighters need to join a union. Many have the same common issue with fighter pay, but the only way that will be resolved is through a union and shifting the balance of power. At the moment they are too scared of doing so because of the vindictiveness of Uncle Dana.

The UFC at the moment holds way too much power over the vast majority of fighters but the fighters are why we watch the UFC. Isn't is something like 15% going to the fighters? In other sports it's more like 50%. That shows how far behind the UFC is when it comes to fair pay for its athletes.

Some fighters even have to supplement their income by holding down another job, which is crazy considering they are fighting in the premier MMA organisation.

Demand equals pay. Unless you are an MMA fighter like Conor, no one cares about you like they do to top boxers.

Most fighters can't allow themselves to act like Jones. He's already rich and doesn't have much to lose.

Maybe

Wait for it

Men fighting in a cage on television isn't worth as much on the market as the people on their keyboards on Sherdog think it is

When it comes to jobs, especially something like entertainment, you're worth what someone is actually willing to pay. And the brand recognition, infrastructure, and a million other things that people (such as myself) who have no experience in the entertainment or fight promotion business don't know about, that the UFC has, is worth a lot more than you guys think it is

That is why people online will eternally do and observe two things:
1) complaining that fighter pay is too low
2) see fighters not going elsewhere to get the pay that they "deserve"

Wow, such intelligence is rare on Sherdog.

Well played good sir.

Jon isn’t going anywhere. UFC will just freeze him and he’ll be forced to retire same with anyone else unhappy with their pay. A fighters union won’t change anything. They’ll just bring in scab fighters to beat the shit out of eachother and give them interim titles to sell bullshit cards. Casuals and bars will still pay for the cards. Theyre independent contractors. A union will never work, unfortunately.
Name value means a lot in this sport

It's not like the NFL where people will watch the Superbowl regardless of who's playing

Back