Could the price increase be some 4D chess move to keep Francis in UFC?

Herwald

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
TL;DR: What if Francis has to sell a certain amount of PPVs as champ to fulfill his contract obligations and UFC increased the price and will willingly take a hit just to keep Francis under contract?

Long enough; will read: I haven't slept for close to a day, had work to finish and drank too many of these 3 in 1 coffee things recently, so my mind ain't right, came to sherdog to easy down and thought of something - what if the 75 bucks is only a temporary increase for this specific card? Meaning, what if in UFC's contract it has some Joe Silva Machiavellian point about champs having certain obligations and contract extensions if they fail to meet a certain PPV number, or something like that?

Francis is a giant project of UFC's and, arguably, the biggest attraction outside of Conor, Nate and Mas, but has more potential + excellent leverage for the French and African markets. Might be possible that taking a slight PPV hit could be worth not having to let him go.

They can just say next month that "Nah, it wasn't a good idea, sorry". And sheeet, if it sells - UFC win either way.

Am I being dumb? How dumb am I?

Lol you think UFC changed an entire business strategy to keep one fighter that isn’t even a massive draw? Also I’m pretty sure ESPN sets the ppv prices and pays UFC a flat rate.

More likely espn is losing money on the deal, since UFC is putting on weaker cards and they have a paywall to a paywall. So they’re raising prices to recoup some losses as well increase leverage in future negotiations as buy-rates inevidently drop.

The UFC didn’t raise the price. ESPN did. That’s some real tinfoil shit, though.

lol

No it is covid. Call dana he is good dude. Gives me my shit for free

WME needs money.

thats-it-what.gif

Cheap wme ufc and dana

Edit: its disney ideas to recoup money lost on that stupid movie Eternals..

I'm seeing a lot of threads about the price change, which has me wondering why. I think the price has gone up like 4 times in the last 4 years. Just a few years ago it was like $50. Maybe I just missed them but I don't remember seeing all the threads about it previously.

Private investors want their 4bn back and you're going to give it to them

Why do people think that the UFC controls ppv prices?

They don't. ESPN sets the price.

At some point people will draw the line and at 75$ that could be the turning point for a lot of people myself included.

Back