Countering spinning back kicks

based on experience any counters to the spining back kick is useless if the attacker is faster than you are. any counter will do (all mentioned above) just be faster than the attacker. :)

Coming from a TKD background, I've dropped quite a few MT only guys who are at my level or higher with spinning back kicks when I tag their liver. Love that gasping for air like they gonna die.

Sweetass SBK here: TKD vs. Muay Thai

Kwonkicker (TKD, 55kg) vs Tahlon (Muay Thai, 63kg) - Pro Fight in Thailand - YouTube

SBK exists in MT, but just not trained that much. And it's too risky in MMA due to being very vulnerable to takedowns if you miss.

When going against TKD, I usually pressure fight them and stay in punching range at all times using aggressive footwork and a shitload of jabs. Same against Karatekas. Because I know they're looking to setup their straight kicks.....and their hands are usually horrible.

MT cross shield (braced really hard & tight) also works.

I also do a lot of switch-step hop 1 o'clock...like a jab out, but towards my power hand side, then quick low, rear leg kick.... when I feel he's about to turn.

I sparred with a tkd black belt he did an obvious jumping spinning back and before i countered with a front teep i recieved his attack right on the jaw (it was too fast).

Last edited:
Easiest thing to do is just evade by moving backward or if you've practised enough parry & counter with a gedan mawashi geri (low kick) or if your daring & good enough counter with ushiro mawashi geri gedan, it's a beauty when it works, but unless your Matsui, don't be suprised if you don't get it right.

Seeing Kancho Kanazawa doing that to his son Nobuaki at such a 'young' age is very impressive. He gets a lot of height in that pick up/sweep.

I prefer the Jiyu Ippon #1 with the yori ashi, kage tsuki counter.

At a few seminars kancho pairs Daizo with Fumitoshi....you cannot see their technique....they're just so clean and quick.

Me personally I prefer 2 and 3 because I am short. A counter ushiro geri catches people way off guard.

I actually don't like these guys technique. There is kime, they have a solid base but they really lack the intent necessary to make this seem like Kumite. I.e. for #2 with the sweep when done right with a good attack the lift is omitted and it becomes more of a misdirection of momentum. They get the point across tho

They are hard to see coming because they are supposed to be counters in the first place. You charge in, I back kick you.

I do it offensively too, however that back kick is supposed to be an inderect move, meaning you never just throw it out there. I usually jab to the face then back kick right after.

Like so:

loiseau_spinkick.gif

Back