Covington opened as a huge favorite over Edwards; haters have closed the gap

Sean_wongster_wongmastter

Double Yellow Card
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
Bookmakers had Covington as a 2:1 favorite; however fans started piling in on Edwards, turning Edwards into a small favorite.

I think the bookmakers were right on this one though, Covington probably wins 7 out of 10 fights against Edwards.

Time to bet Chaos, take advantage of all the Covington haters betting on Edwards.

I'm looking forward to that fight! It's an intriguing match up. Edwards has been improving his grappling for so long now, it will be interesting to see if it'll be enough to keep it standing with Colby long enough for him to win.

It would be interesting to have a conversation with a bookie and ask how they factor in rustled jimmies from haters betting their money on whichever fighter they see as the bane of their existence.

Or maybe people actually think Edwards will win? It’s not a crazy idea. Colby is almost 36. And hasn’t fought in over 1 1/2 years. I wouldn’t be surprised if his cardio is not what it used to be.

Just picking a winner is one thing. You can possibly chalk some of that up to hate. But betting money on someone you think will actually lose is a different matter.

I don't know. It's pretty even in my eyes. Colby is a little too hittable and Leon is a sniper, but on the other side he has gassed in the past.
I have Leon based on mileage and being the younger guy, but I won't be shocked unless Colby gets a stoppage.

Big factor here could be Colby's age. Turn 36 in February and has been in wars.

Who knows? I'd think Colby has a slight edge, but his style of overwhelming guys with pressure and volume is a lot harder to maintain as you get older, so I'd only bet on either guy if the odds were better.

Wow. I understand Colby as a slight favourite in theory, but with:

1. Leon coming off two victories over Usman—where he neutralized the wrestling in the most recent victory;

2. Fabian neutralizing Eblen’s wrestling very recently—coming from the same camp;

3. Colby is nearly 36, hasn’t fought in two years, got hurt in his last two fights, and appeared to struggle (slightly) wrestling an older, smaller Masvidal;

I can’t see him as a 2-1 favourite at all. I actually thought the odds would be closer to a pick em’.

I think there’s only three ways this fight goes down:

1. Colby UD: Boring wrestlefugg (15%);

2. Leon UD or SD: Sparring—with a few exciting striking exchanges or maybe a back take (35%);

3. Leon stoppage: 2 (above) until Colby gets stopped inside the first two rounds (50%).

Last edited:
I'd bet if RDA and Usman are asked, they both say Edwards will win

I bet Colby will make it look easy. He will storm him immediately and never let off the gas. He will always be in close, give Leon no space.

Colby just seems mentally weak. I'm not convinced Edwards is going to be champ for long either.

some might say that reality has closed the gap, but hey

I think Edwards should be the favorite. Not a massive one but there’s a lot of reason to be unsure about Colby. Guy is almost 36 and has been extremely inactive. Also hasn’t beaten anybody in their prime in many years. Edwards also just beat a guy in Usman that has a somewhat similar style of pace and wrestling.

Edwards vs Covington odds opened well before the fight was announced. It got announced officially in September. The odds back in March right after the Usman rematch started with Colby as a little under a 2:1 favorite, but his odds dropped significantly literally the day after, they were basically even by early April, and Leon was the favorite come May, so I don't know what narrative you think you're spinning, but maybe test your theories with a quick Google before you diarrhea them out here.

*edit* You can't honestly think that Edwards beats Usman for a second time on March 18th, and then the odds of -190 / +165 that came out on 3:40 on a Sunday March 19th suddently shot down to -125 / +105 before 8am on Monday March 20th because all the haters rushed their bookies to bet on Leon.

Last edited:
Easy money. It's going to look like Edwards vs Usman II.

I'd bet if RDA and Usman are asked, they both say Edwards will win
Usman said before *EDIT( He said this prior to his rematches with Edwards. Maybe his opinion has changed) *
that he thinks Colby is better than Edwards and would win if they fought. But he also thought that Leon was a quitter and that he would finish him in a rematch.

I believe these odds are more about the reputation over reality. Remember not too long ago people thought that Colby was the second best welterweight behind usman, the only one that could beat him and that he was far and away the clear number 2. After Usmans 2nd and 3rd fight with Edwards we see that's not the case. People still believing in Colbys snake oil.

Last edited:
Colby needs to fly out to Vegas and train with Strickland on his Media skills -- learn how to offend people but still get the crowd on his side.

Back