Cowboy Cerrone's padwork

Chain Saw

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've noticed that when Cowboy hits pads he likes to get close and throw the jab and the straight right from a very, very short range...

While we have always been told to use those punches from the outside and fully extend at the elbow/shoulder. He doesn't really seem to put his hips into it, especially his right straight, and he doesn't fully extend either, in fact he barely extends his elbow when throwing his right straight.

Does Cowboy have bad straight punches?

Watch the first 30 seconds of this and look at his right hand to see what I am talking about.

It could be that he's using it as BS to set up his knee strikes, or using it to get into clinch range.

His punches aren't thrown with any kind of conviction what so ever. He's more flowing through combos. Easier to do that in a shorter range. It's kind of like when boxers are constantly touching and hitting mitts, like mayweather on the pads isn't standing at a fully extended range all the time. It's just getting the movement pattern to repeat.

I can guarantee he stands farther back when blasting pads and using more footwork

Last edited:
He throws a lot of non committal arm punches in fights, guessing as a kind of feint

Wouldn't read too much into it. Floyd doesn't punch like this in his matches either:

Yeah also he's using most of his punches as throwaway punches to set up his kicks and knees.

Obviously he's succesful with it but I'm far from a fan of his style. His defence isn't great, his distance management isn't great his boxing is more functional than anything else and what you describe in his padwork is a symptome of that.
Still he#s successful and what he#s doing works for him just not a fan of his style and I think he has lost to almost every elite striker he has fought. Barboza is his best win in that regard and i wouldn't bet on him beating Barboza again.
i could go beyond that and say I don't like the style Winklejohn teaches in general. Dodson is the most watchable for me and his style is more natural than really a result of Winklejohn and if he was with someone else he would probably be more aggressive and even more fun to watch

imo its just a variation ... if you see most of Stipe´s padwork you would also witness that most of his work involves punches not fully extended ...and allthough thats what worked vs Werdum, imo it doesnt mean that thats the only way he trains tho

He falls into everything when he does padwork. At least in everything I've seen of him, and I first noticed it when he was harming up before the Diaz fight. He has a really good flow going in this video, and it's probably pretty good for overwhelming guys who back themselves up against the cage. Against Diaz he kept running himself into punches before he could get his flowy offense going. It seems like he assumes that everyone is ALWAYS going to be moving back so he's ALWAYS covering distance during his attack.

I've noticed that when Cowboy hits pads he likes to get close and throw the jab and the straight right from a very, very short range...

While we have always been told to use those punches from the outside and fully extend at the elbow/shoulder. He doesn't really seem to put his hips into it, especially his right straight, and he doesn't fully extend either, in fact he barely extends his elbow when throwing his right straight.

Does Cowboy have bad straight punches?

Watch the first 30 seconds of this and look at his right hand to see what I am talking about.

It looks like he is working on something very specific because he doesn't always hit pads like this from what I've seen.

Whatever it was it certainly must be working.

Chalk up the first KO Patrick Cotes' ever been on the receiving end of.

Back