Social Crisis' at Columbia University forces classes online, arrests at Yale College campuses are becoming battle grounds for Hamas and Isreal

Again, it's not a genocide. The IDF is methodical and surgical with their bombing and urban warfare. You can blame the civilian casualty on Hamas for their use of human shields.

Christian interpretation? You mean the Rapture? This has nothing to do with Zionism, which again I will remind you is the idea that the Jewish people have the right to live in their homeland of Israel.

So why did you bring it up in the first place? What the Muslim Palestinian Arabs faced by the Crusaders was not an example of an act of anti-semitism aka Jew hatred.

No, the IDF are certainly not "surgical" and have essentially admitted they are not surgical. I will not blame Hamas for the actions of a far more powerful force. There are plenty of other things to blame Hamas for.

No, I mean the entire origin of the concept of Zionism. That "promised land" mythos was dreamt up BY Christians and was not a pursuit of Jews at the time of its conceptualization. Christians who very distinctly did not want Jews living among them. It's essentially "go the f*ck back where you came from because God said so." I dont believe ANY religion has a specific right to have an entire Country, and I cant think of a more nonsensical contention that almost ALWAYS results in eradication of entire peoples.

I brought it up to demonstrate that the Jews dont have a monopoly on acts of hatred and murder towards SEMITIC people. Which you have not argued against. That on some level hate against semitic people is hate against semitic people, and it makes less sense when the term is used in favor of one group of semitic people over the other

I'm not arguing that that isnt the normal and most widely accepted use of the term, but I am challenging the idea that it MUST exclude Arabic semitic people. It's kind of like saying that in the US you can only truly experience anti-black racism if you're black American, but not also black and African, or Afro-Latino. People who experience racism who arent American black in the US may disagree.

I think the root of the idea of anti-Semitism being only applicable to Jews is the notion that Anti-Semitism is based on their rejection of Christ, bit that seems like too narrow of a scope nowadays. Except for the Christians who support Zionism because what they want is for all the Jews to return to the Holy Land to be converted or eradicated so the World can end.
I've been down this road with these bozos before.

Apparently simply breaking the word into "anti" and "semite" and defining those terms is too complicated for their feeble minds.

Arabs are Semites, but furthermore, Palestinians are only partially Arab from a genetic standpoint, they are primarily the same people as Jews as they share ancestry. The Arab identity is mostly cultural.

Palestinian Christians are nearly identical to Jesus genetically, along with Samaritans.

What do you mean?
You don’t have to like the word but you should be able to accept its definition. You can open any dictionary if you want confirmation.

I am allowed to question the definition of the term. "Words have meanings" arguments are typically used to perpetuate biases. Semitic has a meaning and you just suggested I ignore it.

I am allowed to question the definition of the term. "Words have meanings" arguments are typically used to perpetuate biases. Semitic has a meaning and you just suggested I ignore it.
No, I suggested opening a dictionary.

Israel is not a theocratic nation. It's a secular democracy.

Laughable assertion.

Jews from around the world allowed to immigrate to Israel while, at the same time, denying return to hundreds of thousands of exiled residents of Palestine and prevented from returning to their homes.

Wow what a secular democracy that prioritizes one specific religious group over native inhabitants who predated the state itself.

Prioritizing Jews = secular in your eyes.

<36>

No, the IDF are certainly not "surgical" and have essentially admitted they are not surgical. I will not blame Hamas for the actions of a far more powerful force. There are plenty of other things to blame Hamas for.

Really? Right now the combatant-to-civilian casualty ratio stands at 2:3, which is absurdly and unprecedently low for urban combat. If Israel were truly indiscriminate with their bombings, the casualty would be in the hundreds of thousands instead and the ratio would be tilted higher for the civilians.

No, I mean the entire origin of the concept of Zionism. That "promised land" mythos was dreamt up BY Christians and was not a pursuit of Jews at the time of its conceptualization. Christians who very distinctly did not want Jews living among them. It's essentially "go the f*ck back where you came from because God said so." I dont believe ANY religion has a specific right to have an entire Country, and I cant think of a more nonsensical contention that almost ALWAYS results in eradication of entire peoples.

So how is this the fault of the Jewish people? So you're contending that since the Jews were pressured to leave by the Christians, that makes their return to the "promised land" a Christian idea? What do you think of the Holocaust? You think that was also a Christian idea to get rid of the Jews in Europe and have the ones who survived it go back to the "promised land?"

I brought it up to demonstrate that the Jews dont have a monopoly on acts of hatred and murder towards SEMITIC people. Which you have not argued against. That on some level hate against semitic people is hate against semitic people, and it makes less sense when the term is used in favor of one group of semitic people over the other

No they don't. But to say that Palestinians are also Semites as a response to a comment about anti-semitism is quite disingenuous. I think to any rational person, the term "anti-semitism" usually evokes images of the Holocaust and pogroms that the Jews faced in Europe, not the Palestinian Arabs who get themselves killed after engaging in senseless acts of violence against their Semitic Jewish cousins.

I am arguing for enforcement of the meaning of half the term as opposed to allowing to be used in an exclusionary manner towards people it should apply to.
Again, it is what it is.
Maybe start a new word “anti-Jewish” and see if it catches on.

Laughable assertion.

Jews from around the world allowed to immigrate to Israel while, at the same time, denying return to hundreds of thousands of exiled residents of Palestine and prevented from returning to their homes.

Wow what a secular democracy that prioritizes one specific religious group over native inhabitants who predated the state itself.

Prioritizing Jews = secular in your eyes.

<36>

Ha, right back at you, assclown. You want to see an example of a theocracy? Take your pick of one the many failed Muslim Arab states with an atrocious human rights record and shit freedom of press index. Israel is a beacon of democracy in the darkness that is the Middle East.

I don't need to waste my time with a POS anti-semite. Be grateful that I offered an iota of my precious time with your nonsense.

Ha, right back at you, assclown. You want to see an example of a theocracy? Take your pick of one the many failed Muslim Arab states with an atrocious human rights record and shit freedom of press index. Israel is a beacon of democracy in the darkness that is the Middle East.

I don't need to waste my time with a POS anti-semite. Be grateful that I offered an iota of my precious time with your nonsense.

Nice sidestep. No one here is claiming the other Arab states are secular or that they're not shitty.

You're the only one swallowing Israeli propaganda hook line and sinker that they're secular. Your statement is stupid. Just take your L.

Nice sidestep. No one here is claiming the other Arab states are secular or that they're not shitty.

You're the only one swallowing Israeli propaganda hook line and sinker that they're secular. Your statement is stupid. Just take your L.

I ain't taking shit, motherfucker. The Palestinian diaspora that left Israel chose to leave on their own accord. The Jews that return to Israel were originally expelled by the Romans, Assyrians, Babylonians, etc. That does not mean Israel is a theocracy. Try again.

I ain't taking shit, motherfucker. The Palestinian diaspora that left Israel chose to leave on their own accord. The Jews that return to Israel were originally expelled by the Romans, Assyrians, Babylonians, etc. That does not mean Israel is a theocracy. Try again.

You're self owning yourself.

Zionism is not born out of Christianity. But other than that this is a topic we agree on. Israel is acting so recklessly they have even killed their own people who were practically naked and waving a white flag. There is a lot of bloodlust.

Really? Right now the combatant-to-civilian casualty ratio stands at 2:3, which is absurdly and unprecedently low for urban combat. If Israel were truly indiscriminate with their bombings, the casualty would be in the hundreds of thousands instead and the ratio would be tilted higher for the civilians.

So how is this the fault of the Jewish people? So you're contending that since the Jews were pressured to leave by the Christians, that makes their return to the "promised land" a Christian idea? What do you think of the Holocaust? You think that was also a Christian idea to get rid of the Jews in Europe and have the ones who survived it go back to the "promised land?"

No they don't. But to say that Palestinians are also Semites as a response to a comment about anti-semitism is quite disingenuous. I think to any rational person, the term "anti-semitism" usually evokes images of the Holocaust and pogroms that the Jews faced in Europe, not the Palestinian Arabs who get themselves killed after engaging in senseless acts of violence against their Semitic Jewish cousins.

The combatant-to-civilian casualty ratio as reported by an agency who says almost everyone in Gaza is Hamas? Lol See this Calender? Hamas!! This foosball game? Hamas!! This Hospital? Hamas!! The IDF have at best an unreliable means of determining who are civilians and who arent, and I'd bet my hat you'll be immediately dismissive of numbers reported from inside Palestine by anyone who isnt IDF, because they're Hamas! It's funny because earlier in this thread someone mentioned College Students here wearing "We Are Hamas" shirts and this is the origin of that rhetoric. Everyone who questions the IDF is Hamas!! Meanwhile let's keep carpet-bombing a place where 50% of the residents are children. Hamas children!!

You are deflecting to the Holocaust because of the fact that Zionism was cooked up by Christians? They are extensions of the same hatred man. The "Jewish problem" needed a solution. That solution was Zionism. Hitler proposed the "Final Solution"...the problem was the same.

The last paragraph is largely the work of propaganda. Anti-semitism can and should be used to describe aggressive actions towards any semitic people merely for attempting to exist, giving birth to a "promised land" myth where a group of people become politically empowered to move somewhere not considered "an actual Country" and conquer it. This isn't altogether different from the "settlement" of the US. A group of people come here under the banner of religious persecution, and process to eradicate the Natives, also conveniently touting "Secular Democracy" (while having a constitution that declared other human beings as 3/5 of a person). The main difference is the Europeans who came here have no ancestral claim to the land itself. And yet perfectly otherwise rational people perpetuate these promised land myths every day and are accusatory of elimination of entire cultures over them. The concept of "Greater Israel" is a land grab, a displacement or eradication of Palestinians, and Israeli Arabs are politically disenfranchised. There is no circumstance under which Israel is an example of functioning secular democracy and their leadership is pushing for more disenfranchisement of political opposition.

Zionism is not born out of Christianity. But other than that this is a topic we agree on. Israel is acting so recklessly they have even killed their own people who were practically naked and waving a white flag. There is a lot of bloodlust.

Zionism is a Christian interpretation of the fate of Jewish people in scripture. An interpretation many Jews wholeheartedly disagreed with when it was first proposed?

Back