Critique that bag round pls

You have it timestamped to half way through the vid mate.

Good pop on your punches in the beginning. Good pace, if that's what you want to drill.

Relax the shoulders, you are shrugging a lot. You are trying to tuck your chin, but you are more shrugging than tucking and the chin is still a little up because of your posture. Try to tuck your chin and roll you shoulders back slightly, but relaxed. Generally just relax a little and perhaps set it up more, without just throwing. This sounds contrary to the relaxation part, but I think working on tightening your stance and lower body will help. Meaning, keep working on the tightness/sharpness of your footwork, as you are plodding a little. Don't just use hop steps, add in small steps as well, get set in your stance, then attack. You are very heavy on the front foot, which is fine if you want to pressure (I guess that's what you are working at), but mix it up a bit with your weight distribution. This also means you are crowding the bag a bit on your straights, but hooks looks pretty decent.

Elbows down on the right hand, which again will come naturally if you are relaxed more with your shoulder a bit more tucked back.

Nice activity.

Last edited:
What are you training for?

My biggest thing is that you should work on single punches. Work on maximizing the effectiveness of your single punches before doing combos. you are very rushed and tense. be a selective puncher, and relax!

That being said, good cardio!

Last edited:

My biggest thing is that you should work on single punches. Work on maximizing the effectiveness of your single punches before doing combos. you are very rushed and tense. be a selective puncher, and relax!

I agree with this, but this doesn't look like your trying to work on anything really.

But what I would say is practice some head movement and some ducks and some slips. You do seem like you have technique in your punches so that's good. And look like your explosive.

Are you in Russia? Or something? I heard the guy filming say something and it sounded like russian.

You have it timestamped to half way through the vid mate.

Good pop on your punches in the beginning. Good pace, if that's what you want to drill.

Relax the shoulders, you are shrugging a lot. You are trying to tuck your chin, but you are more shrugging than tucking and the chin is still a little up because of your positioning. Try to tuck your chin and roll you shoulders back slightly, but relaxed. Generally just relax a little and perhaps set it up more, without just throwing. This sounds contrary to the relaxation part, you I think working on tightening your stance and lower body will help. Meaning, keep working on the tightness of your footwork, you are plodding a little. Small steps with your hop steps, get set in your stance, then attack. You are very heavy on the front foot, which is fine if you want to pressure (I guess that's what you are working at), but mix it up a bit with your weight distribution. This also means you are crowding the bag a bit on your straights, but hooks looks pretty decent.

Elbows down on the right hand, which again will come naturally if you are relaxed more with your shoulder a bit more tucked back.

Nice activity.

Thanks this is what I was looking for. I have noticed something weird and still being front food heavy, but did not notice the shrugging part. That elbow I have noticed it too. Working on it too.

Appreciated.

I start with single punches. This is the 4th round in a 2nd workout I was doing myself. I saw this drill from Sinister called pressuring drill. Obviously I am not that good. I am trying to follow the bag. Working on volume myself. Need to add more lateral footwork to make it better, but first I want to get comfortable with the volume. Not really working on selecting my punches but to relax and let the hands go. Obviously I am bad still on the relaxation part. Thanks forbthe.feedback.

I agree with this, but this doesn't look like your trying to work on anything really.

But what I would say is practice some head movement and some ducks and some slips. You do seem like you have technique in your punches so that's good. And look like your explosive.

Are you in Russia? Or something? I heard the guy filming say something and it sounded like russian.

Ye working on pressuring and volume.

I agree need to add much more headmovement with slips and weaves and a lot more lateral movement.

From Bulgaria. It is another slavic language.

keep working on the tightness of your footwork, you are plodding a little. Small steps with your hop steps, get set in your stance, then attack.
Good points. Also regarding footwork, maybe nitpicking here, but something to avoid so that it doesn't become a habit... When you step, don't bring your feet closer together and then step outside. Always step first outside, and then drag the other foot closer.
Basically, you don't want to get used to your feet coming close together. First learn the rules, then you can break them as needed. That's if you train for boxing alone. I don't see the need for what I said in mma.

Ye working on pressuring and volume.

I agree need to add much more headmovement with slips and weaves and a lot more lateral movement.

From Bulgaria. It is another slavic language.

Oh ok, well if I can make a suggestion, try doubling up on the jabs and go body-head and throw other punches after that.

Try doubling up on your hooks. Body to head.

Be mindful of your range, are you practicing on the inside? I wouldn't waste energy with straight punches unless you are in range to do so.

Be mindful of your chin being up, and your elbows being flared. That whole middle line is open, especially with your stance being squared off.

Do you normally lead with your back hand? I've seen you throw your back hand first a few times. I only throw mine for a 2, 3 or if I do throw a 2 by itself I'm immediately ducking, and rolling back out to the right after I do.

Perhaps you can list your goals, and what you're working on?

"Critique that bag round pls"

You look poor
Bang the bag harder

Work on angles instead of backstepping when the bag comes in. I feel you're trying to get space for full extension, but you do so by backing out, that's going to make a poor habit down the line. Make space forcibily instead of by backing out.

I forget which timestamp but you were at an angle and delivered a hook nicely. It looks like you're a bit too hunched forward, if you don't find issues in your balance thats good. But just from the video it looks like if the bag wasn't there and you threw your crosses you'd lose balance

Good points. Also regarding footwork, maybe nitpicking here, but something to avoid so that it doesn't become a habit... When you step, don't bring your feet closer together and then step outside. Always step first outside, and then drag the other foot closer.
Basically, you don't want to get used to your feet coming close together. First learn the rules, then you can break them as needed. That's if you train for boxing alone. I don't see the need for what I said in mma.

Good catch. I first did not realise whwt Sano said, but then after reading your comment I saw that too. Tnx

Oh ok, well if I can make a suggestion, try doubling up on the jabs and go body-head and throw other punches after that.

I do that a lot. Not just in this kind of work.
Try doubling up on your hooks. Body to head.

Be mindful of your range, are you practicing on the inside? I wouldn't waste energy with straight punches unless you are in range to do so.

Be mindful of your chin being up, and your elbows being flared. That whole middle line is open, especially with your stance being squared off.

Do you normally lead with your back hand? I've seen you throw your back hand first a few times. I only throw mine for a 2, 3 or if I do throw a 2 by itself I'm immediately ducking, and rolling back out to the right after I do.

Perhaps you can list your goals, and what you're working on?
I ve been trying to do the cross more of an overhand after a left uppercut. Otherwise in mid range trying to spam 2-3 and 3-2s. I have the bad habit of doing just one shot as a counter in mid range and really working on these 2-3 and 3-2s.

Yeah man I noticed my mid section is wide open. Mainly due.to that right hand. I have noticed that before the video. Trying to work on it. The coach right now pays attention to that right hand positioning especially after jabing. It is a bad habit I have created in a long time.

I usually lead with a lot of jabs. Kind of trying to practice skipping the.jab here and find the range without it just by following the bag. If you notice I lose balance many times because I do not judge the.distance well and kind of go wit a bad punch selection. Leading with the jab has become too predictable in sparing.

Right now I am working mainly in a good positioning. This is why I posted the video. I have received an amazing feedback and will try to fix.

Then I am working on volume and pressuring. I want to be able to impose my game in spars and the coach says that this is my game. Always try to be in mid to close range and punch more. I had the bad habit of backing off after a combination and then fight for range again. He likes I understand wrestling and I am good in controlling others when our bodies touch. He insists I stumble in defence too. He is like dont back off, instead go towards and grab them, turn them and punch them. He actually does not like my head positioning but then everyone complains that my head almost hits them when we are in the pocket and he says this is how I control them so they need to deal with it.

Yeah and lastly I currently work on shoulder and arm conditioning and cardio as I had way too many left shoulder injuries and I need the cardio for soccer.

No long term goals. Just get better in boxing.

"Critique that bag round pls"

You look poor
Bang the bag harder

Work on angles instead of backstepping when the bag comes in. I feel you're trying to get space for full extension, but you do so by backing out, that's going to make a poor habit down the line. Make space forcibily instead of by backing out.

I forget which timestamp but you were at an angle and delivered a hook nicely. It looks like you're a bit too hunched forward, if you don't find issues in your balance thats good. But just from the video it looks like if the bag wasn't there and you threw your crosses you'd lose balance

I am poor and I try to bang the bag hard.

Yeah man. Once I fix the positioning I am going to work on lateral footwork and different rhytm movements. Right now just working very little on side steps and pivots. But hopefully in a months I will get there to start adding them.

I do that a lot. Not just in this kind of work.

I ve been trying to do the cross more of an overhand after a left uppercut. Otherwise in mid range trying to spam 2-3 and 3-2s. I have the bad habit of doing just one shot as a counter in mid range and really working on these 2-3 and 3-2s.

Yeah man I noticed my mid section is wide open. Mainly due.to that right hand. I have noticed that before the video. Trying to work on it. The coach right now pays attention to that right hand positioning especially after jabing. It is a bad habit I have created in a long time.

I usually lead with a lot of jabs. Kind of trying to practice skipping the.jab here and find the range without it just by following the bag. If you notice I lose balance many times because I do not judge the.distance well and kind of go wit a bad punch selection. Leading with the jab has become too predictable in sparing.

Right now I am working mainly in a good positioning. This is why I posted the video. I have received an amazing feedback and will try to fix.

Then I am working on volume and pressuring. I want to be able to impose my game in spars and the coach says that this is my game. Always try to be in mid to close range and punch more. I had the bad habit of backing off after a combination and then fight for range again. He likes I understand wrestling and I am good in controlling others when our bodies touch. He insists I stumble in defence too. He is like dont back off, instead go towards and grab them, turn them and punch them. He actually does not like my head positioning but then everyone complains that my head almost hits them when we are in the pocket and he says this is how I control them so they need to deal with it.

Yeah and lastly I currently work on shoulder and arm conditioning and cardio as I had way too many left shoulder injuries and I need the cardio for soccer.

No long term goals. Just get better in boxing.

That's awesome brother. I hope your journey goes well for you. You will make great improvements on top of your current abilities, and I am sure you can show us how you've developed.

Yeah control with your head, and wreck the body. Chop the tree! lol

Good luck to you my friend.

He actually does not like my head positioning but then everyone complains that my head almost hits them when we are in the pocket and he says this is how I control them so they need to deal with it.
One reason why your head is too far forward is because, like someone mentioned before, you tend to be front foot heavy. Unless you press, make sure the weight is distributed evenly. Always keep that in your mind as you work the bag or spar.

That's what I was doing many years ago and I couldn't understand how sparring partners who were much shorter than me were constantly jabbing me in the head. How could those short people even touch my head? LOL I was so front foot heavy that I was actually offering them my head. It was a very difficult habit to break for me, but once I did, it made a big difference. I stopped being punched in the head all the time. Always a good thing. hehe

Keep training, you'll improve for sure. There are always things we can do better.

Back