Cross Wind Landings. Ever experience one?

MikeMcMann

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And if so, how bad?

I've been on two flights where the landing was as bad as that second one in the video and they were both Air Canada so I am actually wondering if that was the flight I was on.

I often sit in the emergency aisle for the extra leg room and look out over the wing when landing. In the extreme cross wind scenarios the amount of dip you get in the wings can be pretty crazy. Many a time I am thinking, no way can he land on this approach, they''ll have to be diverted to a different runway, but they do.

yep pretty bad in Toronto as well.

Cape Town is also notorious for windy landing conditions

Been on some rough flights, landings for sure, as a kid, the rougher the better, now a days..me no like..

One time arriving in Honolulu from Houston. Thought the wing was going to touch the runway.

Yes, flying from Buenos Aires to Sao Paulo. Things seemed fine until we were close to the runway. All of a sudden the plane started turning sideways, to the right. It dipped a little, but was more getting spun around, which was concerning. We landed one side first, still a bit sideways, then hopped side to side on the wheels a bit and bounced, and then finally rode down the runway. I was on an aisle seat and had been shooting the shit with an Australian guy across from me during the flight. We both slowly turned our heads and looked at each other wide eyed at the same time, like "holy fucking shit!" and then turned facing forward again. That shit'll put the fear in you.

No idea if it was a cross wind, but I was on a plane that landed in a very small airport. Rough af landing. While I was waiting for a pick up at the bar, the pilots were drinking and looked like shit. I asked how bad was it, and they just shook their heads and asnwered "bad".

No idea if it was a cross wind, but I was on a plane that landed in a very small airport. Rough af landing. While I was waiting for a pick up at the bar, the pilots were drinking and looked like shit. I asked how bad was it, and they just shook their heads and asnwered "bad".
Ya smaller airports usually have the most issues as they have the least runways and the key to dealing with such winds is to put the plane head into them or second at the planes back. If you only have a couple north/south or east/west runways you are at the mercy of the winds direction.

Ya smaller airports usually have the most issues as they have the least runways and the key to dealing with such winds is to put the plane head into them or second at the planes back. If you only have a couple north/south or east/west runways you are at the mercy of the winds direction.

It was in Thunder Bay Ontario. I also think its size actually allowed me to notice the pilots ... b/c well there was only one bar and no other pilots around lol.

That same trip we got caught in a huge snow storm and the rent a car had no ice scraper .... fuck show of a work trip.

Yes. Flying into newark from Jamaica years ago. It was terrifying and we all thought we were going to die. You could hear a pin drop on that landing. Except my ex wife who was sleeping soundly with her head on the window while I quietly cursed her for not being there for me.

Back