Media Cruz: cuts are worth more than take downs

Cruz has been very omnipresent with his remarks after this ppv. I bet all that BW attention has him wanting to get back in there.

Last edited:
Cuts are often superficial and bare no real impact on a fight, they should be judged according to the significance they have. The fact that it's simply "visible" doesn't make it more significant, meanwhile guys bones break and ligaments tear and you don't see it. Bodies get broken down with kicks and punches cumulatively but have a far more significant impact than a shiner below the eye. Guys get injured from takedowns all the time too but it's often not visual. But I agree a takedown should be it's own reward, what you do with the advantage of gravity and the control it brings is what should typically matter the most, if you're getting elbowed by the guy on bottom and he's attacking for subs while you're just tapping short punches to not get stood up, you should not win the round because of the takedown and being on top. But cuts are not usually significant.

I don't really care what Cruz says, 26 media outlets scored it for Yan and 1 scored it for O'Malley. The fact that Yan was bleeding doesn't mean he rightfully lost unless he makes Omalley bleed too, that's fucking moronic.
Okay, so judges should judge only after fighters come out of the hospital and get all the checks done.

Cruz has been very omnipresent with his remarks after this ppv. I bet all that BW attention has him wanting to get back in there.

He just hates Cejudo. Gushing over Aljo, saying how great he is for the division as champ and how bad Cejudo is/was/would be.

I'm biased, will freely admit it ,as I've never liked Cruz. But the older and less competitively relevant he becomes, the more salty he is towards his fellow fighters. Henry beat you bro. It had fuck all do with Nicotine and Alcohol

Believe an actual former UFC champion ex fighter or believe a neckbeard Shertard hmm...

Make takedowns not count for anything
It’s about what you do before and after that scores

I am for this. All a taken down should count for is control time unless it actually does damage. Most takedowns don't inflict any meaningful damage and less than a significant strike.

Explaining why Yan lost to O’malley. Fans think it is robbery but based on the new judging rules O’malley won as he was cutting up Yan's face more.

He said that nowadays he would rather fake takedowns and use that to elbow/knee his opponents than take them to the ground.

Thoughts? Is that a good direction for MMA?

Lol no. Stipe was way more busted up than ngannou in their first fight. Stipe had his way with him but didnt even hurt him. So, according to Cruz, Ngannou won that??

Damage done in that round, like cuts, should definitely count more than sig strikes or takedowns honestly. Sort of like how you weigh knockdowns in a round.

I remember that takedowns used to be worth much more. It really was crazy, everyone going for the last seconds takedown to win the round... pathetic IMO. It should mostly be about damage. If your takedown is soft, it should be worth absolutely nothing. As for cuts, it is closer to be a proxy for damage, but still far from a perfect indicator as some guys will bleed much more easily than others (Diaz, GSP, etc...)

He’s not wrong. Anyone saying a cut is superficial doesn’t understand fighting. A cut above the eyes can greatly impact vision, even when wiping it away

I'm guessing Cruz looks at more from a fighter standpoint in the cage. He just feels that a cut changes things for that fighter more so than a takedown for the duration of the fight.

Overall, damage is very broad term with a lot of levels to it. One punch that doesn't knock them down can do more visual damage than 15-20 light to medium jabs. But those 15-20 strikes will win on almost every score card.

P.S.: I will say they seem to not put as much weight on takedowns as they did in the past which is good.

Without going into extreme absolutes like the rest of the posts in here.. Id say i agree.

Shit, if this was an after high school fight where one guy spammed takedowns and the other cut him up from elbows, nobody would believe the wrestler won the next day at school.

Explaining why Yan lost to O’malley. Fans think it is robbery but based on the new judging rules O’malley won as he was cutting up Yan's face more.

He said that nowadays he would rather fake takedowns and use that to elbow/knee his opponents than take them to the ground.

I'm not a fan of this idealogy, honestly. You mean to tell me someone is going to score more because they went into a fight with less scar tissue or because their opponent had a pre-existing cut? To a degree, I get it (cuts can stop a fight, so why shouldn't a cut score points?), but I feel that you're more or less adding a criteria based on something that has nothing to do with skill. I feel that cuts should be considered, but so should the nature of the cut (was it form a headbutt, strike, scraping on the canvas, a pre-existing cut, etc.).

Actually, he would rather talk a really good game, dance around with his impressive footwork, and then get knocked out.

Are cuts not specifically classified as visual damage which the judges are supposed to ignore?

The idea that takedowns should be worth nothing is insane to me.

Of course, Cruz is the only one who understand the new rules, everyone and his mother scored it for Yan... <KhabibBS>

Plenty of glancing blows cause cuts. Bruises are easier noticed on lighter skin color.

Once a cut is open, even a light jab can cause more bleeding.

Problem is that most people don't know what they're watching, especially the judges.

I really wish they'd employ former fighters as judges instead of these morons who barely watch the sport enough to know what is happening.

Cuts are often superficial and bare no real impact on a fight, they should be judged according to the significance they have. The fact that it's simply "visible" doesn't make it more significant, meanwhile guys bones break and ligaments tear and you don't see it. Bodies get broken down with kicks and punches cumulatively but have a far more significant impact than a shiner below the eye. Guys get injured from takedowns all the time too but it's often not visual. But I agree a takedown should be it's own reward, what you do with the advantage of gravity and the control it brings is what should typically matter the most, if you're getting elbowed by the guy on bottom and he's attacking for subs while you're just tapping short punches to not get stood up, you should not win the round because of the takedown and being on top. But cuts are not usually significant.

I don't really care what Cruz says, 26 media outlets scored it for Yan and 1 scored it for O'Malley. The fact that Yan was bleeding doesn't mean he rightfully lost unless he makes Omalley bleed too, that's fucking moronic.

I don't think Dom was endorsing anything. I think he was just answering questions about why things are the way they are today in MMA decisions. So if ya gotta cut someone to get the judges attention, that's something you might want to work into your gameplan.

We haven't seen much lately, but Dom also had great takedown timing in his long prime.

While I agree with Cruz’ statement, the effectiveness of a cut heavily relies on its location. If the cut occurs above the eye, it can result in blood flowing into the eyes, causing temporary blindness. Even a single cut has the potential to significantly impact the course of a fight.

Back