Crystal clear footage of New York in 1911, kind of eerie

Love that history, great vid. I recently stayed at the Hotel Pennsylvania in Times Square. Place has some history, and even though its a tourist nightmare now, the history made me love it. The place has barely been updated, so the feel is almost like it was back then...Wide hallways, art deco style, numerous elevators to handle the guests. The rooms had the old crystal door knobs, railroad tile in the bathroom, old style toilet. Not luxurious in todays world but cool non the less.

Part of me wished the knockout game was a thing back then. Or twerking. I'd have liked to see the shit we do in front of the camera these days. Show me one of those ladies with the goofy peacock looking hats just getting laid the fuck out.

Part of me wished the knockout game was a thing back then. Or twerking. I'd have liked to see the shit we do in front of the camera these days. Show me one of those ladies with the goofy peacock looking hats just getting laid the fuck out.
plz-stop-post.jpg

Im guessing the woman was their mother and they were brothers. They look like kinda young.

If you stop the video at 6:18, it looks like one is white and one is black.

If they could see what became of America, things would have been done differently.

I remember my grandfather telling me that housing used to be priced so you could pay for a house with a year's income. That alone seems a pretty attractive reason.

It was that way up until about 1980.

That is badass. Really brings it to life; makes it real.

Great thread.

I think that in our quest for technological advancement and globalization, simplicity really is something our lives--and our world--has lost. And I don't think that's for the better.

I think that there is a direct correlation between happiness and living in a world that feels manageable. Today's world doesn't really feel manageable.

Hmmm, great way to put it. Never thought about in regards to being manageable. Makes sense.

I think the eeriness you felt was from the lack of commentary that this type of video usually accompanies.

This is the beauty of modern technology. Our descendants will be able to not only see us but also hear us and see our movements in film. Even when I see footage of family from twenty years ago, it takes me a back. But imagine a descendant of yours seeing you 200-300 years after you’re gone.
I hope the future isn't as gay as this shit
028e0f1af92fee550993510053c73ad9.jpg

Man this is kind of weird to watch. It's almost like getting into a time machine and getting a glimpse at people just living their daily lives a hundred years ago.

It's a shame we don't have this kind of footage from 200 or even 300 years ago.

Give this a watch. It's fascinating.

I didn't know Snaphat vids could be so long.
That chick in the hat was pretty hot.
The horses sound like the're wearing heels.

I think the eeriness you felt was from the lack of commentary that this type of video usually accompanies.

Maybe that's got something to do with it.

Due to the quality of the image, it really does feel like you're somehow going through time and getting to look directly into 1911.

Then you also have to consider the fact that all of these people you're looking at, and the world they lived in, are now gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depressing as shit when you say it like that

The majority of peoples lives are completely meaningless in the grand scheme of human evolution

And even human evolution is probably meaningless in the vastness of the Universe
it's even worse when you know you could die tomorrow too

I was just thinking about that earlier.

For life in most of the 1800s all we have to go on are photographs. Before that, just paintings and descriptions. But footage of us living our lives today should still be available for viewing a thousand years from now.

Bizarre.

Here's great-great-great-great-grandma twerking at the club

I always wonder about the hats... I dont even like to use caps, I find it an unnecessary baggage to be carrying around... I cant imagine living in a society where apparently you would be frowned upon to not be wearing one

People are mostly fat fucks now and dress like utter slobs.

When I think back to times like that I just imagine it being a smelly boring world where you have to wipe you ass with a corncob.. wonder if they thought it smelled bad they must have since things to make you smell better was invented

It's crazy to think he's probably a Civil War veteran who was wounded during combat.

I am going to go with a probably not. This is about 40 years after the civil war and if he was in the war, maybe he was 18-20 years old. That ads up to 60 years old. That was pretty old back then. All those people who look old are way younger than they look. Look at Afgans if you want to see how shitty healthcare and diet ages you.

Last edited:
Man, people really used to fidget with their suit jackets a lot.

Back