CSAC bans dehydration starting March 1st

Wow, that's crazy. If this takes hold, 90% of the UFC will have to move up a division. Weird that they do it in such a rush instead of coordinating with the other commissions to do it say in the middle of the year. I don't think they would do it if they thought they'd be alone with it, and I don't think the UFC is just going to stop having cards in California.

Weight cutting is huge in college and high school wrestling and always been part of the game...doing that to your body does not always benefit in the fight. How can this be monitored

From what I read, which may be wrong, it sounds like they are giving fighters more time to hydrate, and anyone who can not won't fight.

If they get 72 hours to hydrate that will help big weight cutters.

how the fuck is it stupid? why be 1 pound over a weight class and have to go up to a higher one?
Because if you're 1 pound over and allowed to cut it then the guy who's 15 pounds over can cut that too. So you'll still be at a weight disadvantage. It's better for no one to have to go through the process at all.

Besides, if a fighter's ideal fighting weight happens to be 1 pound over a weight class limit, then it'd probably just make sense to just lose that 1 pound and be 1 pound smaller naturally, whether that means lower body fat or less muscle.

The weight cutting is already killing fighters. Get a grip

mma is a business. this is like walking into mcdonalds and saying "ok now yr not allowed to sell anything unhealthy".

ok so watch how sick my metaphor is. this means that theres no more big mac - for mcdonalds OR the ufc

*drops the mic*

Finally hydration testing Ive been saying all the time that it's the way to go. Hopefully it's also for boxing. Now the other commisions just need to follow

This is great!

We need to see who's the best fighter in their natural weight.
Much more appealing to me (and I think to the majority too).

MMA is a sport sanctioned by government regulatory bodies.

If someone dies in the US due to severe dehydration before athletic commissions and organizations like the UFC jump on this, the government's backlash against the sport will be significant. The NFL and MLB got slaps on the wrist due to those sports long histories regarding the steroid and concussion scandals; with MMA being new, any repurcussion will be anything but a slap on the wrist.

Also, makes sense why Conor has already moved up to 155, "before this broke."

Shit is not that simple man. Unless he weighs 155 exactly then he isn't fighting 155 in California. McGregor already walks around at what? 170? Unless he wants to drop 15 pounds of muscle then he can't make 155. I don't think most people are thinking this out correctly. No weight cut means they gotta weigh what they fight at. McGregor can't make 145 or 155 unless he loses a rather substantial amount of muscle. McGregor is 170 pound fighter.

Same thing with Anderson Silva, that guy weighs 205, he would have to cut 20 pounds of muscle to make 185. It would change the body type of many fighters. This is a gargantuan clusterfuck. GSP becomes a 5'10" middleweight unless he wants to cut off 20 pounds of muscle.

mma is a business. this is like walking into mcdonalds and saying "ok now yr not allowed to sell anything unhealthy".

ok so watch how sick my metaphor is. this means that theres no more big mac - for mcdonalds OR the ufc

*drops the mic*
Big Mac is still there. He just is not in the kids menu anymore.

Wonder if they'll ever ban dehydration in the horse racing industry...

Shit is not that simple man. Unless he weighs 155 exactly then he isn't fighting 155 in California.
From what I read that is not at all what this is. Can you show me a source?

CSAC will look in the future to move the time back up to 72 hours before a card, according to chairman John Carvelli, but the current state statute only allows up to 30 hours. The previous rule was 24 hours.

So not only does Conor not have be 155, he has an extra 6 hours to rehydrate, so he can be even bigger .. and in the future they are looking to expand this to 72 hours, giving him 3 full days to rehydrate. This means fighters can cut MORE and still perform better. We could have 220lb Rumble at WW.

Wow, that's crazy. If this takes hold, 90% of the UFC will have to move up a division. Weird that they do it in such a rush instead of coordinating with the other commissions to do it say in the middle of the year. I don't think they would do it if they thought they'd be alone with it, and I don't think the UFC is just going to stop having cards in California.

They don't have much of a choice. This will be a major shitstorm. Seriously, many fighters wouldn't even have to move 1 division, they would move 2 weight divisions. Conor for example wouldn't make 145 or 155. I can't see the UFC going along with this unless forced to. I bet they don't go near California.

If this continues to grow to other state commissions it will obviously mean that many fighters will have to rethink their weight class and potentially their careers. As a fan of this sport, I have no problem with that. Weight classes were put in for a reason and gaming the system to come into a bout with at times significant increases over a divisions maximum weight restrictions is ridiculous.

If you have to dehydrate more than 10lbs to make weight then you're in the wrong division. If proper weight loss or gain is too restrictive then you're in the wrong career.

It would be refreshing to see properly hydrated fighters competing closer to the actual weight class limits.

Back