CSW Questions

jmay829

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Has anybody trained in CSW? Obviously Erik Paulson is a true master, but I want to know what people think of this style. How much of it is catch wrestling as opposed to no gi jiu jitsu? Personally I think that certain catch holds are definitely useful and effective, but I find the hierarchy based approach of Jiu Jitsu superior to catch wrestling. Is it worth looking into Paulson's DVD's and such, or am I better off sticking with something closer to my philosophy of grappling?

Never trained with him etc but I really like all the stuff I've seen him do. As a judoka, I can appreciate his focus on attacks from kesa; his style is pretty interesting and not at all same-same.

If you watch the rest of the rolled up episode you can see him rolling with Budo Jake; it's fun.

https://youtu.be/qc5gLT0aSiU?t=52m25s

(should take you to 52:25 when the roll starts)

The whole thing is worth watching, as he talks about his background, CSW methodology etc

Paulson is definitely worth training with, he has a wealth of knowledge and conveys it very well

I train in CSW and I'm also a Judoka shodan and BJJ blue. It's great to do since it's nogi specific and they have a combat philosophy to the approach. My coach will add strikes or show you positions that make it an advantage if strikes are present.

Not to mention, it is all about attacking and they have some great leg attacks and neck cranks.

Seems like CSW/Catch is easier to learn if you come from a wrestling background, no?

I posted this in a similar thread a few weeks ago:

Be a little cautious in making your choice based off of an Eric Paulson affiliation. I used to train at a gym who claimed CSW, but all it was was a NO GI MMA style of grappling. My Coaches never mentioned CSW or any sort of specific CSW curriculum. I think that it was mainly the gym owner who cared about having a CSW label.

All I'm saying is, make sure that the instructor's credentials are able to stand on their own. In my case, my coach and training partners were extremely legit grapplers and mma fighters. I learned TONS there, and I have no regrets about training with them.

Back