Cuban Boxing Fundamentals

Oh yeah, thanks.

It’s scary how good those motherfuckers look. Imagine all of them going to another gym on open-sparring day.

Russians (or Soviet educated fighters from the Eastern Bloc) and Cubans are definitely very very technically sound, but they do have their weaknesses. Most of them are mental and habitual. Remember back when the lightweight I used to train sparred Akhmadaliev. MJ came out hot and knocked my guy down, but as the round progressed I noticed he was pretty terrible inside and completely uncomfortable whenever my guy stepped into him. So I told Joseph after the 1st round:

"He wants you at mid-range, he's a killer at the end of his punch. When you go inside he doesnt do shit. Lure him in with baiting jabs, once he sets step in, hit him on the inside, then turn him."

When he executes this in the 2nd round you can hear me say "THAT'S IT!!"

MJ had zero ability to adapt. I was surprised as he was the #3 Amateur in the World at the time and had knocked down Conlan in their fight.

Russians (or Soviet educated fighters from the Eastern Bloc) and Cubans are definitely very very technically sound, but they do have their weaknesses. Most of them are mental and habitual. Remember back when the lightweight I used to train sparred Akhmadaliev. MJ came out hot and knocked my guy down, but as the round progressed I noticed he was pretty terrible inside and completely uncomfortable whenever my guy stepped into him. So I told Joseph after the 1st round:

"He wants you at mid-range, he's a killer at the end of his punch. When you go inside he doesnt do shit. Lure him in with baiting jabs, once he sets step in, hit him on the inside, then turn him."

When he executes this in the 2nd round you can hear me say "THAT'S IT!!"

MJ had zero ability to adapt. I was surprised as he was the #3 Amateur in the World at the time and had knocked down Conlan in their fight.

Why are they neglecting their inside game though?

Why are they neglecting their inside game though?

That I cannot answer. But you can see his is awful. It's like he cannot comprehend not having his optimal range

That I cannot answer. But you can see his is awful. It's like he cannot comprehend not having his optimal range
This is cos scoring habits am judges had ...
Initially euro boxing was more close to boxing like in British pro boxing.

Then some countries didn't had pro boxing and had well financed am boxing industry.

In am bout easier is to get punches landed scored by judge IF they are long distance or medium distance ....close range stuff more often might be overlooked by judges filling cards.......

This is cos scoring habits am judges had ...
Initially euro boxing was more close to boxing like in British pro boxing.

Then some countries didn't had pro boxing and had well financed am boxing industry.

In am bout easier is to get punches landed scored by judge IF they are long distance or medium distance ....close range stuff more often might be overlooked by judges filling cards.......

That makes a lot of sense. The US actually valued in-fighting, not merely in-fighting to get outside

Oh yeah, thanks.

It’s scary how good those motherfuckers look. Imagine all of them going to another gym on open-sparring day.

It's Russian national team, bruh :D. 1st session in 2023.
If you are looking for average hobbyists from different striking-oriented sports, it's like that:

It's Russian national team, bruh :D.
No, it’s not. It’s a random gym located in a small village in some remote part of Siberia. The village has about 20 high-level boxers despite its small population of 200. It was supposedly founded by veterans from the Rus’-Byzantine War and has been isolated ever since. As you can see from the interview segments, the residents speak their own unique language that nobody understands.

No, it’s not. It’s a random gym located in a small village in some remote part of Siberia. The village has about 20 high-level boxers despite its small population of 200. It was supposedly founded by veterans from the Rus’-Byzantine War and has been isolated ever since. As you can see from the interview segments, the residents speak their own unique language that nobody understands.

FWIW, US Amateurs dont value in-fighting specifically, but they do value fighters who are either very aggressive, or precise outside boxers. If you're going to be aggressive you have to be hyper-aggressive, and this has nullified defensive practice. The nuanced inside work I teach is becoming rare.

FWIW, US Amateurs dont value in-fighting specifically, but they do value fighters who are either very aggressive, or precise outside boxers. If you're going to be aggressive you have to be hyper-aggressive, and this has nullified defensive practice. The nuanced inside work I teach is becoming rare.

Btw how that video platform thingy you were talking about coming along? I'd love some inside game oriented stuff.

Brazil doesn't have a professional boxing culture (despite having Acelino Popó doing great years ago) so this is the kind of stuff that is rare to develop here. I try to use stuff like basic principles to get angles, such as that drill you shared here were a boxer have to keep his nose pointed towards behind the ear of the other boxer, but it would be nice to learn some more in depth stuff from you.

Back