Curious about Ryron Gracie's rank

G

GeeSPee

A few weeks ago we had a thread about red belts and how many there were and how long it would take to become one etc.

And someone posted this timeline....
Purple: 16
Brown: 18
Black: 19
1st Degree: 22
2nd Degree: 25
3rd Degree: 28
4th Degree: 33
5th Degree: 38
6th Degree: 43
7th Degree: 50
8th Degree: 57
9th Degree: 67

It is 3yrs for every degree up to the 3rd degree, then 5yrs each degree for 4th and 5th

Assuming that is correct....how is Ryron a 5th degree and he is only 30yrs old?? And he JUST turned 30yrs old according to Ryron Gracie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No disrespect intended I really like these guys and the videos they put out.....but I'm curious if there are different timelines for different organizations??

Thanks

My guess is wikipedia is probably not that reliable as a source...

Ryron and Rener got black belts in 2004 from Helio. in 2011, they were 5th degree...

yes its fast.

I guess they have connections... :)

also, they do it full time, everyday

Well considering they had been rolling since being in diapers I don't think there should be any real questions or curiosities about their rank.

He wears five stripes on his belt.

Ryron Gracie Seminar 15th-17th April. | BJJ Ireland

I think Rorian's kids don't go by the IBJJF standards.

Are/were there different rules for different associations? My former instructor was a 6th degree Carlson BB at age 40. That's about 3 years too early (I know he was a purple at about 16/17 - so it pretty much follows the timeline posted above.) His English was bad, so I never asked. His credentials as a BB were well-established, so it didn't matter much to me.

He's a Gracie; the rules don't apply.

ahh man to be honest that makes me lose a certain amount of respect for him. I think its really cool and humble that Royce now wears the dark blue belt....he doesnt even wear black (except to seminars)

Well considering they had been rolling since being in diapers I don't think there should be any real questions or curiosities about their rank.

well, I AM curious! And I dont care when u started...there is NO reason that a 29yr old needs to be a 5th degree black belt.....considering Renzo is only a 6th and he is 15yrs older

Sometimes high ranking dudes bump instructors up since they have their own associations. Example, Paulo Fernando, who got a stripe on his black belt from Carlson Sr.

ahh man to be honest that makes me lose a certain amount of respect for him. I think its really cool and humble that Royce now wears the dark blue belt....he doesnt even wear black (except to seminars)

I wouldn't let it affect you - anything after 2nd degree BB is pretty much just honorary and has no real bearing on anything.

He wears five stripes on his belt.

Ryron Gracie Seminar 15th-17th April. | BJJ Ireland

I think Rorian's kids don't go by the IBJJF standards.

Are/were there different rules for different associations? My former instructor was a 6th degree Carlson BB at age 40. That's about 3 years too early (I know he was a purple at about 16/17 - so it pretty much follows the timeline posted above.) His English was bad, so I never asked. His credentials as a BB were well-established, so it didn't matter much to me.

I guess that answers my questions....apparently not all organizations follow the IBJJF guidelines. I personally hate the IBJJF (I think their rules for tournies suck and they tend to be WAY too controlling) but trying to keep a standard throughout the entire range of a martial art is something that NO other martial art has been able to accomplish...so I appreciate them trying to avoid BJJ ever becoming a McDojo!

I kinda thought the Gracie kids would know that....and respect it also. I guess I was wrong. I dont have a problem with their online teaching and Gracie videos bc some people in the small towns have no BJJ schools....but being overpromoted just seems egotistical and completely nonsensical to me

I wouldn't let it affect you - anything after 2nd degree BB is pretty much just honorary and has no real bearing on anything.

Oh its not like ruining my day or anything lol I still love thier videos and would love to train at Torrence someday.....I was just curious bc of the thread we had a few weeks ago

well, I AM curious! And I dont care when u started...there is NO reason that a 29yr old needs to be a 5th degree black belt.....considering Renzo is only a 6th and he is 15yrs older

I wouldn't really put too much into it GeeSPee. As you stated they are great instructors and obviously know the game very, very well. I know to some degree's on belts mean a lot but I really don't feel it's all that serious. As for Renzo he'll be a red belt long before Ryron or Rener. So if those things truly matter that much to you then rest assured, Renzo's day will come soon I'm sure.

What the TS posted are the IBJJF timelines for promotions and degrees of black belt.

Rorian doesn't follow those guidelines so he awards degrees on different criteria. Not all black belts are recognized by the IBJJF and not all black belts care to be recognized by the IBJJF.

International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation - you'll notice that Ryron, Rorian, Ralek, Rener, etc aren't listed on this website. They don't subject themselves to the IBJJF rules and therefore don't follow the promotions guidelines.

But if you ever noticed that the Gracie tournaments rules are very different from IBJJF. There are also difference of opinion depending on what Gracie faction you train with. The Gracie Nationals differ from Rickson Gracie's rules with all differ from IBJJF.

but being overpromoted just seems egotistical and completely nonsensical to me
Over-promoted according to whom? The ibjjf? Egotistical and nonsensical are words many would use to describe some of the shit the ibjjf comes up with. Just sayin...... Is 30 a bit young to be sitting on 5 stripes black? IMO yes. But some people act like the ibjjf is the be all, end all of jiu jitsu and that simply isn't true.

This is the correct answer.

What the TS posted are the IBJJF timelines for promotions and degrees of black belt.

Rorian doesn't follow those guidelines so he awards degrees on different criteria. Not all black belts are recognized by the IBJJF and not all black belts care to be recognized by the IBJJF.

International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation - you'll notice that Ryron, Rorian, Ralek, Rener, etc aren't listed on this website. They don't subject themselves to the IBJJF rules and therefore don't follow the promotions guidelines.

This topic has been discuss numerous times. :icon_sad:

When Helio Gracie says "Rorion is my true heir", well then he can wear whatever the fuck color belt he wants. And I don't think he cares about what Carlos Gracie Jr. has to say, or anyone else for that matter.

Ryron and Rener likely follow suit. Make no mistake though, both are -very- good.

ahh man to be honest that makes me lose a certain amount of respect for him.

Why should he subject himself to the ranking guidelines that were put out by an association his brother created and that neither he, nor his brothers, nor his father Rorion, nor his grandfather Helio, ever endorsed or supported?

It's their prerogative.

I rolled with Helio and Ryron a few years back. They don't have to hold themselves to anyones standards.

I've been training for 10 years. When I started training the IBJJF was considered a joke by almost all BJJ schools.

I believe I saw an interview where Ryron and Rener spoke about their Grandfather giving them stripes on their Black Belts before he passed.

In which case, if one of the founders of the sport decides to give you stripes, you get the stripes.

Back