Curtis Blaydes is the only one that should realistically be fighting for the HW belt

Blaydes is an exciting fighter, said no one ever. I think people just like saying the word Blaydes.

In the landscape we have now, Curtis is the best option. Just because there is not a better one IMO.

Volkov is a good option, but he already fought Aspinall and Blaydes, and lost. I think we need new matches.

Gane was a good option, but I don't know where is he. He ducked Aspinall before, and got two title shots already.

If not any of those three, we begin to enter a territory with guys like Marcin Tybura, Spivac...

Jones and Stipe can fight for the paper belt, or whatever

I just found out that Blaydes has more top 10 wins than most UFC HW champions.

Blaydes' resume:

#9 Alexey Oleynik
#6 Mark Hunt
#3 Alistair Overeem
#4 Junior dos Santos
#10 Alexander Volkov
#5 Jairzinho Rozenstruik
#7 Tom Aspinall (fluke but technically a win)
#7 Jailton Almeida
Total: 8 top ten wins.
https://www.fightmatrix.com/fighter-profile/Curtis+Blaydes/134803/

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...st-top-10-ranked-wins-at-heavyweight.4148848/

<mma4>
Shaquille-Oneal-Happy-Dance-Reaction-Gif.gif

I just found out that Blaydes has more top 10 wins than most UFC HW champions.

Blaydes' resume:

#9 Alexey Oleynik
#6 Mark Hunt
#3 Alistair Overeem
#4 Junior dos Santos
#10 Alexander Volkov
#5 Jairzinho Rozenstruik
#7 Tom Aspinall (fluke but technically a win)
#7 Jailton Almeida
Total: 8 top ten wins.
https://www.fightmatrix.com/fighter-profile/Curtis+Blaydes/134803/

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...st-top-10-ranked-wins-at-heavyweight.4148848/

<mma4>
Yeah he's 14-4 since he came into the UFC and the 4 losses are 2 to Francis, 1 to Pavlovich, and 1 to Lewis which if he fought Lewis 10 times he'd probably win 8. He messed up with that naked takedown and paid the price. Anyway, yes he's definitely elite and has a good resume. Perhaps not THE best in the division but still clearly a level above most. If Tom wins this fight it will be a good win for him.

You're not even trying to make a merit based argument though.

Curtis fought everyone! (And lost to a good number of them, including very recently)

Tom cries too much (despite just knocking out the guy who recently beat Blaydes)
He can't make a merit based argument though.

Hes a Jones fan and making a merit based argument here would mean he also has to make a merit based argument for Stipe fighting for the undisputed belt coming off a KO loss 3 years ago.

He can't make a merit based argument though.

Hes a Jones fan and making a merit based argument here would mean he also has to make a merit based argument for Stipe fighting for the undisputed belt coming off a KO loss 3 years ago.

The merit base is that it was put in place before Aspirin had the interim belt and was a top 3 division fighter. I could see Sergei being upset with the Jones vs Stipe fight because he was clearly the next in line at HW.

Aspinall was no where near the top of the division when jones and Stipe made the agreement to fight. He was no where near the top of the division when Jones beat Gane.

Aspinall was behind Gane, Blaydes, and Sergei after jones beat Gane. His loss to Blaydes put him behind Blaydes and Sergei's win over Blaydes put him above both. So Sergei has that right not Aspinall.

The idea that jones would scrap a 15 million dollar fight he had previously made for some kid who just recently won the interim title is asinine. A fighter who was not even worth the time of the UFC to put him as a backup to the Stipe vs Jones fight becasue he was not considered good enough to be on it. That distinction went to Sergei. Tom is now the interim champion but lest push the brakes on the audacity. He came to line late and can wait.

Last edited:
The guy has literally fought everyone and ducks no yet he gets passed up by Gane twice and was going to get passed up again by Tom because he ducks no one. Even now, he still has to beat what's probably the best guy in the entire division for a paper belt just to have a chance at the real belt despite having already having a recorded win over him. Yet he still doesn't complain. Mean while Tom is out here literally crying that Stipe is passing over him, when the only reason he got the opportunity to fight for that paper belt and have a chance at the real belt is because Blaydes chose to not duck Sergei when he could have easily ducked him making him have to fight Tom first instead and sat out until he could get Gane and get a TS off him.
He’s on a one fight winning streak you moron.

I like Blaydes, but he has a lot of losses.

The merit base is that it was put in place before Aspirin had the interim belt and was a top 3 division fighter. I could see Sergei being upset with the Jones vs Stipe fight because he was clearly the next in line at HW.

Aspinall was no where near the top of the division when jones and Stipe made the agreement to fight. He was no where near the top of the division when Jones beat Gane.

Aspinall was behind Gane, Blaydes, and Sergei after jones beat Gane. His loss to Blaydes put him behind Blaydes and Sergei's win over Blaydes put him above both. So Sergei has that right not Aspinall.

The idea that jones would scrap a 15 million dollar fight he had previously made for some kid who just recently won the interim title is asinine. A fighter who was not even worth the time of the UFC to put him as a backup to the Stipe vs Jones fight becasue he was not considered good enough to be on it. That distinction went to Sergei. Tom is now the interim champion but lest push the brakes on the audacity. He came to line late and can wait.
That's a lot of yapping but still no explanation why Stipe deserves the fight on merit in the first place.

You explained why its wrong to take the fight away from Stipe after he was already offered it, not why he deserved to be offered it to begin with.

Last paragraph is irrelevant when we are talking about merit.

That's a lot of yapping but still no explanation why Stipe deserves the fight on merit in the first place.

You explained why its wrong to take the fight away from Stipe after he was already offered it, not why he deserved to be offered it to begin with.

Last paragraph is irrelevant when we are talking about merit.

Merit is an opinion, something that deserves or justifies a reward or commendation. The merit was that Stipe was a former HW champion and is considered the greatest HW of all time.

He is getting this fight because of his years of being an active HW champion. It is the same reason jones went up to HW and fought for the HW belt without fighting an actual contender. Both were inactive for 3 long years.

They both are in the same boat, because if Stipe does not deserve the fight then Jones did not deserve to fight Ngannou or Gane for the HW title.

So if you can justify jones being able to fight for the HW championship without fighting anyone for 3 years then so can Stipe.

Last edited:
Merit is an opinion, something that deserves or justifies a reward or commendation. The merit was that Stipe was a former HW champion and is considered the greatest HW of all time.

He is getting this fight because of his years of being an active fighter. It is the same reason jones went up to HW and fought for the HW belt without even fighting a actual contender.

They both are in the same league, if Stipe does not deserve the fight then Jones did not deserve to fight Ngannou or Gane for the HW title. He did because of who he is and what he has done as the former LHW champion and that is the same for Stipe.
Right, so you actually don't have any argument or a leg to stand on here, got it.

You can make the exact same argument for Jon fighting Randy Couture or Mark Coleman for the HW belt next. Both have impressive history in the sport after all. Certainly have done more in the sport than Aspinall or Gane or Pavlovich thus far. Do they deserve the HW title fight more? Of course not, but you HAVE to agree that they could because your whole argument relies on past accomplishments and name value, and certainly Couture (if not both), has greater name value than even Stipe does. Arguably has better accomplishments as well given the amount of UFC titles he won.

The word deserves is key here, the whole point being whether there is validity in being awarded with said opportunity. Accompishments don't mean nothing, but they also can't be the be all and end all either, Stipe's accomplishments in the sport are half a decade ago, the only thing he has done since half a decade ago is get viciously knocked out and be a full time firefighter.

And sure, you can absolutely make the argument that Jones didn't deserve a HW title fight coming off a 3 year layoff, I do believe he wasn't deserving (and neither was his opponent), but we cannot change the past.

So here's the thing, if your argument for why Stipe DESERVES to fight for the HW title can also be applied to people who have been retired for 15 years, then it isn't a good argument.

Last edited:
Right, so you actually don't have any argument or a leg to stand on here, got it.

You can make the exact same argument for Jon fighting Randy Couture or Mark Coleman for the HW belt next. Both have impressive history in the sport after all. Certainly have done more in the sport than Aspinall or Gane or Pavlovich rhus far. Do they deserve the HW title fight more? Of course not, but you HAVE to agree that they could because your whole argument t relies on past accomplishments and name value, and Certainly Couture, if not both, have greater name value than even Stipe does.

The word deserves is key here, the whole point being whether there is validity in being awarded with said opportunity. Accompishments don't mean nothing, but they also can't be the be all and end all either, Stipe's accomplishments in the sport are half a decade ago, the only thing he has done since half a decade ago is get viciously knocked out and be a full time firefighter.

And sure, you can absolutely make the argument that Jones didn't deserve a HW title fight coming off a 3 year layoff, I do believe he wasn't deserving (and neither was his opponent), but we cannot change the past.

Again you asked for why Stipe could get the fight and you go t it. The problem is that no one made the claim when jones went up that he did not deserve it. I never saw you saying it. I never saw any of the crybabies on here crying about it. All i read was that Ngannou was going to KO him and so on. All of a sudden we see this same situation with Stipe and we now see ducking claims and that he does not deserve it and It is comical to read. When Stipe and jones was made i saw no one really upset, it was until Tom became interim champion, and began to cry and pout that i read anything about merit. Sergei was next in line and I never saw anything about how unfair it was to Sergei and plead his case. So it is too convient.

Also we do not know what will happen to Stipe nor if he will get viciously beaten. Jones has been out and as inactive as Stipe for 3 long years and is coming off a long injury. Jones has a broken toe that he needs to keep taped up because it has hindered his mobility. He has fought in the UFC longer than Stipe and they are both in the same old boat.

The idea that Stipe is much older than Jones in fight years is comical both are old broken men. Jon might have a little more spruce in his step but with this injury he is a much older man.

Again you asked for why Stipe could get the fight and you go t it. The problem is that no one made the claim when jones went up that he did not deserve it. I never saw you saying it. I never saw any of the crybabies on here crying about it. All i read was that Ngannou was going to KO him and so on. All of a sudden we see this same situation with Stipe and we now see ducking claims and that he does not deserve it and It is comical to read. When Stipe and jones was made i saw no one really upset, it was until Tom became interim champion that i read anything about merit. Sergei was next in line and I never saw anything about Sergei. So it is too convient.

Also we do not know what will happen to Stipe nor if he will get viciously beaten. Jones has been out and as inactive as Stipe for 3 long years and is coming off a long injury. Jones has a broken toe that he needs to keep taped up because it has hindered his mobility. He has fought in the UFC longer than Stipe and they are both in the same old boat.

The idea that Stipe is much older than Jones in fight years is comical both are old broken men. Jon might have a little more spruce in his step but with this injury he is a much older man.
You are waffling again. This time about a bunch of stuff I have never claimed, in this thread or any other.

Jones being almost as old and crusty as Stipe makes this fight even more of a joke, not less. You are failing to convince me if that is your goal.

You also conveniently skipped the entire part about why your argument and logic doesn't work.

Does Randy Couture deserve to fight for the HW belt more than Tom Aspinall does right now?

You are waffling again. This tome about a bunch of stuff I have never claimed, in this thread or any other.

Jones being almost as old and crusty as Stipe makes this fight even more of a joke, not less. You are failing to convince me of that is your goal.

There is no goal, It is all perspective.

Merit is based on someones opinion.

The reality here is that jones got the fight with Ngannou after being inactive for 3 long years. If you can justify jones getting that fight or you were not arguing that he did not deserve it when that fight was put in place then you cannot come on here and push this moral claim that Stipe does not deserve it when he is in the same boat as jones.

There was no clear no 1 contender at HW when Jones beat Gane outside of Sergei. So if we are arguing about actual young contender merit then Sergei should have possibly gotten that fight if we are talking about actual contender merit, since he was the next in line.

But the reality here with Aspinall is that the Stipe and Jones fight was already signed and inked. Stipe had as much merit as Jones did for fighting at HW. With that said the ink had already dried and Sergei was the fill in. So Aspinall can wait.

Those are the facts.

Last edited:
That's RedDevilFan for you.

That's RedDevilFan for you.

I see you are fan, if you want an autograph you can ask. I did not know i had a fanboy club on here, welcome to the club my son.Joining a group can be a powerful way to develop and strengthen your social abilities. On Tuesdays on sherdog, I explore with my fans the benefits of joining a group and how it can enhance your social skills, build self-awareness and self-confidence.

Last edited:
dumpster-fire_medium.jpg
TS trying hard for the worst poster of the month award with these threads.
You know I thought this person was talking about Blaydes being the only one one that deserves to fight Tom for the belt. But then, I realized he was talking about the Jone's plastic belt after seeing your response......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luminous Knight
Back