News Dan Miragliotta explains controversial stoppage in Kubrat Pulev vs. Frank Mir

right before the left hook connected on mir, pulev missed a brutal right uppercut. mir better thank whatever god he prays to that the uppercut didnt connect.

Mir got really lucky Pulev decided to spare his life for some reason instead of going for the Mortal Kombat Fatality.

People forget that boxers don't value the kill shot like MMA fighters do. An MMA fighter gets a knock down and thinks "jump on him and kill him"; a boxer does the same and thinks "go to a neutral corner". It's a different mental attitude when you see your opponent rendered helpless, even if he's still standing.

People forget that boxers don't value the kill shot like MMA fighters do. An MMA fighter gets a knock down and thinks "jump on him and kill him"; a boxer does the same and thinks "go to a neutral corner". It's a different mental attitude when you see your opponent rendered helpless, even if he's still standing.
To be fair, I think many MMA fighters could improve their chances to win if they had the same attitude. I have seen way too many fights were the guy is basically out on his feet/gets knocked down and then his opponent goes to the ground with him, giving him time to recover. Just have him stand up since if he can't or comes up wobbling badly, it's usually called off.

Mir took his time but it's fine. He is a big guy and I don't think he could have stepped in fast enough for to avoid the hook. He let Mir hangout a little after that but he stepped in before any damage was done. All this happened within a matter of seconds. Between the cross that rocked him and the hook was around 4 seconds. I am not sure what Triller rules are but Dan stated the fighter can take a knee and receive the standing 8. Maybe Dan could have rushed in and gave the 8 immediately but it would have been awful if Mir recovered.

Great stoppage. If anything it was late but he did fine and Frank didn't take any more damage.

The answer to Flores’ question, according to Miragliotta, is that he was doing two things: Giving Mir time to show he was still in the fight, and waiting for Pulev to advance.

“I was waiting for Pulev to come in,” Miragliotta told MMA Fighting on Monday. “That would have made it so much easier for me, because as soon as he would have made one step as if he was attack, I was in a position with my left shoulder and the left side of my body to bump him, push him out, and stop the fight. But he didn’t engage – he backed off, and that’s why I kept watching Mir.

“Then Mir didn’t go down and didn’t put his hands back up – as soon as Pulev made that slight step, I stepped in and stopped the fight. It was easy.”

Miragliotta, a veteran official in the cage and boxing ring, said Mir asked him why the fight was stopped, but the ex-champ’s corner thanked him for protecting their fighter. In the days after the fight, he said more positive messages arrived.

The intensity in Flores’ voice and reception online weren’t nearly as flattering to Miragliotta, who said he was unaware of any criticism leveled against him after the call. But the veteran official stood by his actions and said he had prepared Mir and other Triad fighters for that moment prior to the event.

At the rules meeting, he said, he made it clear that if a fighter was hurt, he could take a knee and receive an eight-count. If the fighter didn’t do so and continued to take damage, he said he would stop the fight.

When Pulev landed a concussive right hand that initiated the finishing sequence, Miragliotta said he was focused on Mir’s reactions. He made the assessment that the ex-champ was “still coherent” but wasn’t defending himself because his hands were down. He said Mir’s MMA history played no part in his decision-making.

“I didn’t want to allow Pulev to come in and hit him again,” Miragliotta said. “But when Pulev backed out, I figured Mir has a chance to either go down and take that knee or put his hands up, and he didn’t do either one, so that’s why I stopped it.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/11...xplains-stoppage-in-kubrat-pulev-vs-frank-mir

It makes sense i agree..

He had the best seat in the house to see what was going on...

All these armchair refs and their knee jerk judgements

It's pretty accurate, he stepped in when Pulev advanced. Mir got rocked but didn't drop and Pulev wasn't advancing. Once Pulev advanced and Mir still wasn't able to fight or defend himself Miragliotta stopped the fight. Some people get rocked and are able to recover in a couple of seconds, he gave Mir the opportunity to do that.
You don't 'take a knee' when you are literally out in your feet and don't know where you are.
It was a very late stoppage.

Miragliotta's explanation is perfectly fine, it wasn't a bad stoppage at all. Miragliotta is a based ref.

He didn't need to wait for anything. It was already over.

You don't 'take a knee' when you are literally out in your feet and don't know where you are.
It was only one punch late. Not really that late.

But Yamasaki gets banned herb n mirg both made terrible calls recently

What a load of crock. First off hes calling it easy like he had it perfectly under control, while in reality Mir ate an unnecessary follow-up hook while Pulev was giving Dan the chance to stop it at the right time.

Secondly he said he knew it was over but he was waiting for Pulev to make a move that looked like an attack…..

but why???

In his own words it was obviously over, why not just stop it? Why wait for an attack?

Mir must have banged Dan’s girl, because he still seems determined to have Mir killed in the cage after Carwin failed him.

Mir was rocked with a punch and wobbled. Pulev then missed and upper cut and connected with the hook. You could argue the first was over after he was first wobbled, but some fighters have overcome that. After the hook Mir was done and Dan did step in when Pulev moved in. Why he waited i don't know and it should have been stopped after the hook. The bottom line is Mir took no more damage and at worst took 1 extra punch. The whole thing is being way over blown

Thanks to Pulev, not Dan’s genius reffing
I'm not calling Dan a genius, but he was in position to get in the way if and when Pulev went for the kill, which he did.

Give Pulev credit too for going easy on Mir.

Yes it could be considered late, but I'm looking at the whole thing play out. He stopped it before Pulev can do any more damage once he stepped forward. He only gave him extra time to recover because Pulev didn't engage after rocking him. If Pulev continued to attack him while Mir was unable to defend himself I would agree it was late, but to me he stopped it right on time and gave Mir a chance to try and recover.

Back