"Dana said he wants you to do a Lawler rematch?" "...I Pass" - Askren

• Thread starter Deleted member 556651
  • Start date
They gave him Robbie so that he would get his shit pushed in. And he almost did. Now give him someone else. He did manage to get by Robbie.

he wants to go to london to call out a striker (masvidal vs till) LOL he doesnt even try to call out usman or colby. the man woken up tonight... he realized hes not beating other wrestlers and that his only chance is vs till or masvidal LOL.
A lot of UFC fans would like to see a rematch. The controversial stoppage will be the hot topic from UFC 235 discussed on social media, MMA media, and ESPN. Increased exposure attracts viewers and is great promotion. That means more money, and money is the be all end all for the UFC. The attention of sports fans tend to wax and wane unpredictably, so it would be wise for the UFC to strike while the iron is hot. This gives Ben Askren some leverage in negotiations. He doesn't want to fight Lawler, so the UFC would need to come up with an inducement or concession to change his mind. It's similar to Jon Jones' supposed aversion to fighting DC at heavyweight. If the UFC wants it, it's gonna cost them something.

So fighting a brawler like Robbie made him realise he can't beat wrestlers. Interesting

Hes not exactly a rookie.
If hes got 5 maybe 7 fights in him left why waste two on Robbie Lawler.
Im sick of rematches.
Look at Cain V for an example why.

Well in my defence..to the casuals eye: Lawler did the F-5 on Askren

It was closer to an Angle Slam

giphy.webp

I don't care for a rematch, though it should be ruled a NC. Askren's career is almost over and there are so many great fights for him.

Why shouldnt he pass on that fight. He had a super tight choke, lawlers arm was even limp, and the ref was the one who stopped it. Other than the stoppage, the choke was in tight and would stay that way judging by lawlers defense if he was actually concious. Askren won, there was controversy sure, but thats the ufc. I was laughing my ass off in the post fight interview when last thing rogan says to askren as he walks away is "welcome to the ufc" .. How fitting lol

Take the rematch or fuck of back into retirement.

I agree with him. It isn't a good matchup for him in terms of promotion. There's nothing for him to work with. Till or Masvidal will allow him to create a lot more interest. This is a rematch you do a little down the road, especially if they both put a couple wins together. That way you put it together as a #1 contender fight between two guys who were both reasonably close to finishing each other within the first couple minutes of their fight. You don't need to run back every odd stoppage or controversial decision. It is often better to let it breathe. This is one of those times.

Ben has a bunch of guys that he actively wants to fight for any number of given reasons. I don't think he has any real interest in rematches or wasting what couple years he may have left in fighting by being tied up with one opponent. He accepted the fight without any hesitation the first time, he won (however you feel about the stoppage) so you move on.

he wants to go to london to call out a striker (masvidal vs till) LOL he doesnt even try to call out usman or colby. the man woken up tonight...

He actually did call out Usman in the post interview and said he was disappointed to hear Colby is getting that fight instead.

He had London planned ahead of time under the assumption Woodley bears Usman.

Askren needs to move forward, not back. He dispatched of Lawler in a round. No need for a rematch. Give him a new fighter to walkthrough so his title shot is justified.

Askren got his shit pushed in. Anyone who thinks he actually won that fight, is a retard or delusional.

Herb Dean made one of the worst calls of all time. I don't blame Askren for it. He knows how a 2nd fight would go though, and he's ducking Lawler like the plague.

This is fucking hilarious....

Now, I'm one who knows damn well Askren was gifted that win last night. It was total bullshit.

But it couldn't be anymore obvious in how much Dana hates Askren, and the intention of having him fight Robbie was for him to lose. Because Dana is running a legitimate sport.

What a fucking clown.

And again, as much bullshit as that stoppage was, Askren should tell Dana to go fuck himself.....

In the ESPN post fight talk, Askren said he’s been talking all kinds of shit on a handful of guys, those are the guys he wants to fight.
He likes Robbie and didn’t want to fight him in the first place, and definitely doesn’t want to fight him again.
I’m good with that.

I don’t want to see a do over because the ref made a bad call.
I want to see him take it to Colby, Usman, Till, etc.

He’s not gonna have many fights in the UFC, I want to see him fight as many different guys as possible.

The rematch deserves to happen when Askren wins the title.

Robbie should wait. It's his last and easier way to a title shot.

Back