dangers of being choked out

don't be afraid to tap, though. you're there with your instructor, not at the mundials. obviously your instructor's (hopefully) responsible and will probably let go right away if you pass out, but you don't have to be stubborn even if you don't feel like it's tight. if it's locked in, it's locked in.

I don't think it's quite as bad as they make it out to be. I have been choked out twice and I do not feel that I have lost any cognitive ability. It isn't a good idea to let it happen more than a couple of times though because it does kill brain cells. I just laugh at some of the stupid people who think that when you practice chokes your actually choking your partner out; these people do exist.

When I first started reading a lot of the online sources for bjj/mma I came over a doctor who said the effectiveness of the blood choke is that it slows the flow of blood out of the brain and therefore creates the pressure or stop that makes it so sudden. Interesting theory. The mechanics of things is very nice to know more about, but I'd like more scientific info than Sports science as sources tho.

It's probably a combination of lack of blood and pressure. I remember reading that the carotids are very sensitive to change, and will often overcompensate to "fix" anything pressure change. Apparently a quick thrust to the carotid can potentially kill someone, as that would cause a very rapid pressure change.

It isn't a good idea to let it happen more than a couple of times though because it does kill brain cells.

No....it doesn't. It might if you held it for like 30 seconds after unconsciousness, but other than that, there's no research to suggest what you said.

It's weird the only time I got choked out the triangle didn't even feel tight at all. But it was locked and I CBF escaping so I went to tap. Next thing I know I'm looking up and the ceiling and it seems to be moving further away then moving closer. Was cool

Back