Television Dave Chappelle asking you not to watch Chappelle Show

I get it... we're talking about millionaires being taken advantage of by billionaires.

Were talking about an adult who signed a contract, boo hopo he only got 50 mil.

At some point maybe adults can take responsibility for their choices, is that so hard.

I’m kind of with DC on this one, he co-created a programme he earned residual money from under the terms of the original contract.

He re-negotiated a bigger contract worth $50m probably over 3 to 5 years but gave away rights on all aspects of his future outputs to Viacom (tv, film, standup etc)

When the reality of the demands/control/pressure in the new contract became real he bailed on it and lost the residuals because he breached.

The fair thing would be to pay out residuals based on the first contract, the wrong thing to do is take 100% of the earnings from something you originally accepted must be shared with the co-creators.

He didn’t benefit from the $50m deal so don’t see why he should be punished with zero residuals when they existed from day one.

Were talking about an adult who signed a contract, boo hopo he only got 50 mil.

At some point maybe adults can take responsibility for their choices, is that so hard.
First... he didn't get the 50 million. That was for him to keep doing it which he walked away from, after being paid peanuts for the show in the first place. Dave didn't become loaded until his Netflix deal.

Did you even listen?

First... he didn't get the 50 million. That was for him to keep doing it which he walked away from, after being paid peanuts for the show in the first place. Dave didn't become loaded until his Netflix deal.

Did you even listen?

Once again, his choice to walk away from that money.

So he's a bitch that cant handle living down his choices.

That's what he claims. When you're broke and have a kid on the way and your agent and everyone sitting at the table are telling you that it's a good deal then you can be taken advantage of.
That's how it works though.

The studios can't pay everyone a ton of money before they're even proven. So they pay peanuts, and then if the show is a hit then you try to negotiate a better deal after the first one expires.

Dave got a ton of exposure and could have gone elsewhere and started a new show. Hell, he could probably do that today. Charlie murphy and Neal Brennan aren't doing anything. He could get them to come back. Bill burr will be harder to get back but you never know.

That's how it works though.

The studios can't pay everyone a ton of money before they're even proven. So they pay peanuts, and then if the show is a hit then you try to negotiate a better deal after the first one expires.

Dave got a ton of exposure and could have gone elsewhere and started a new show. Hell, he could probably do that today. Charlie murphy and Neal Brennan aren't doing anything. He could get them to come back. Bill burr will be harder to get back but you never know.

Might have a bit of a problem getting Charlie Murphy back...

Still the best two year run of any sketch comedy show of all time, including SNL. Period.

He brought up Prince. Rename yourself or create a new show with different title and eat. The original run is a dated at this point anyways so he could do with some new skits. A lot has happened in the past 15 years; plenty of subjects to develop new material around.

Or better yet, focus on new stand up specials. The skits weren't as good as his best comedy specials anyways.

He brought up Prince. Rename yourself or create a new show with different title and eat. The original run is a dated at this point anyways so he could do with some new skits. A lot has happened in the past 15 years; plenty of subjects to develop new material around.

Or better yet, focus on new stand up specials. The skits weren't as good as his best comedy specials anyways.
His skits are like 1000x better than his stand up.

To each his own. I watched some of them before netflix took it down. I guess context of the time matters cause they weren't as funny as I remembered. Some were definitely still hilarious, but others just sank.

His skits are like 1000x better than his stand up.
Those skits must be pretty good then cause he's pretty much a consensus top 10 comedian of all time on any bodies list.
Granted he got nominated for two emmy awards in 2004 for Chappelle's Show, but he's won three grammy awards for best comedy album which were consecutive years. 2018 - 2020. Also won a Mark Twain Prize for American Humor.

Those skits must be pretty good then cause he's pretty much a consensus top 10 comedian of all time on any bodies list.
Granted he got nominated for two emmy awards in 2004 for Chappelle's Show, but he's won three grammy awards for best comedy album which were consecutive years. 2018 - 2020. Also won a Mark Twain Prize for American Humor.
Chappelle show is the best skit show ever IMO. Especially for being only 2.2 seasons.

It's a weird situation because they got a guy who desperately needs money but he's unproven and even CC is taking a chance on him. They had no idea whether the show would be good or not. So they give him what he thinks is a bad deal but how much of a deal does someone deserve who's unproven? I'm not saying Dave is wrong it's just a very complicated situation. Honestly he comes off a bit petty here. Would he even be where he is today if it wasn't for CC and their bad deal? Maybe but who knows. What he lost in royalties on that show might have been more than made up for in what it did for his career.
Especially because it's Comedy Central. That channel seems like a labor of love and borderline charity most of the time. They clearly see something they like in certain performers and will take risks to try to find the winning formula.

No one was else was beating down Sarah Silverman, Bill Maher, or Dave Chapelle's door until their shows hit on Comedy Central.

I’ve found him to be consistently funny throughout the years. I’ve always enjoyed his comedy and his show as well, even his new Netflix specials. I’m starting to notice a bit of a disconnect, though, especially with his more politically charged, shorter form pop up sets. It almost feels like he’s drinking his own koolaid. I do think he’s one of the greatest to do it, and it’s plain as day that he’s aware of the fact that he is, and it’s starting to seep into his work. I used to regard his opinions as insightful and through provoking, which many still are, but it’s to the point now where I couldn’t care less what him or Ja Rule have to say.

Last edited:
Don't sign the contract then Dave. Jesus man you expect a check every single time something is viewed? How about consumers start self reporting and sending Dave a check everytime they decide to view one of his works?

while i understand his point if it's in syndication (not sure it actually is) and he's not getting paid, he did famously turn down an extension contract from them and ran to Africa.....

what does he expect?

Back