Dave Meltzer: DAZN is in trouble

Not sure what that is. I paid $99 for a year in advance and felt it was a very good deal. Let mine run out last week though until Bellator & boxing come back.

Are they doing anything for the subscribers right now?? Like extending your year by like 3 months or anything.

When was the last time the UFC had a clear path to the belt in bantamweight, featherweight, lightweight, welterweight, or middleweight? It’s been a while.

Very true recently. But the point the poster was making is that the number two or three ranked fighter in those weight classes aren't going out and fighting the 28th ranked guy or go from fighting the 5th ranked guy and then next time out fighting the 35th ranked guy.

Very true recently. But the point the poster was making is that the number two or three ranked fighter in those weight classes aren't going out and fighting the 28th ranked guy or go from fighting the 5th ranked guy and then next time out fighting the 35th ranked guy.
Pride did the same thing, and people loved it.bellator follows Pride’s and K1’s model, and gets shit on. I guess because Scott’s American.

Pride did the same thing, and people loved it.bellator follows Pride’s and K1’s model, and gets shit on. I guess because Scott’s American.
It's 2005 anymore. MMA is a more mature sport now, and fans expect better. I'm not a Bellator hater, but their matchmaking is really subpar and holding them back at this point.

It's 2005 anymore. MMA is a more mature sport now, and fans expect better. I'm not a Bellator hater, but their matchmaking is really subpar and holding them back at this point.
Lol. You pre saying this having been here 7 years now? You’re living in a bubble. Nothing mature about the sport, or the vast majority of its fan base. The last two months have shown that more than anything.

Are they doing anything for the subscribers right now?? Like extending your year by like 3 months or anything.
It would have been nice, but nothing was offered. I figured two months of the subscription were wasted. Would be way worse if I had recently signed up. Since the year ran out last week I'll just wait until later this summer if Bellator and boxing come back and maybe re-sign up if there's a full schedule again.

Featherweight is logjammed, and likely going to give Max a pointless rematch, so contenders are stuck in limbo. Middleweight? Yoel just got a fight coming off a loss. No clear cut contender there, either.

Ranked guys constantly fight ranked guys though.

One cool thing about Bellator is how they scoop up high level amateur wrestlers like Caldwell. Caldwell is a great fighter, very underrated, I've noticed, for a guy who is so entertaining and skilled.

One cool thing about Bellator is how they scoop up high level amateur wrestlers like Caldwell. Caldwell is a great fighter, very underrated, I've noticed, for a guy who is so entertaining and skilled.

Yeah he's one dimensional but he's superb at that one dimension. The only issue I have with him is adapting on the fly, against Horiguchi he kept doing the same shit that was losing him the fight despite Cruz going nuts at him in the corner.

I think he might beat AJ , though.

Some people did, some people didn't. There's a reason why many harp on guys like Fedor and Wand having a record filled with pistachio sellers.

But your argument dies if you take into account Strikeforce, which had the same modus operandi -- it even had Scott at the helm -- and everyone loved them.

Yeah he's one dimensional but he's superb at that one dimension. The only issue I have with him is adapting on the fly, against Horiguchi he kept doing the same shit that was losing him the fight despite Cruz going nuts at him in the corner.

I think he might beat AJ , though.
Well, I wouldn't call him one dimensional because, unlike say, Bubba Smith, he is developing a high-level submission grappling game. Even against Horiguchi, he nearly had him in a standing Kimura, something you aren't going to see from most wrestling converts these days, who seem to stick to striking and ground and pound.

Well, I wouldn't call him one dimensional because, unlike say, Bubba Smith, he is developing a high-level submission grappling game. Even against Horiguchi, he nearly had him in a standing Kimura, something you aren't going to see from most wrestling converts these days, who seem to stick to striking and ground and pound.

Yeah, you're right he does have a good top sub game. It's just if he gets frustrated and stuck in someone's guard or can't get them down, I think he runs out of ideas.

He looked very good against Borics, who is really dangerous with his striking. Caldwell avoided the danger without rushing in for the takedown, he was patient and looked for the right opportunity to take it to the ground. Once in the ground, he dominated Borics to a nice RNC. We hadnt seen much from Borics on the ground but he was good enough to stand back from underneat Pico a couple of times without sustaining any damage.
The next AJ vs Caldwell fight will be pretty badass, AJ's ground game looks much more developed than Boric's who is primarily a striker and Caldwell looks much more mature as a fighter now.

I think it's very telling that you only notice or mention these older veterans that fight for Bellator when that's just a small piece of the puzzle and the roster and number of cards consists of so much more than that. Makes me doubt you even watch Bellator any more. In any case, there's no going back in time. Bellator has way more cards, several different types of cards and way more fighters than ever before and they're not going back to those old days when it was a smaller operation under different ownership. I personally like their 40 or so card schedule nowadays so we have a lot more to watch and bet on. Coker even mentioned in an interview not long ago about going to Brazil and South America and elsewhere eventually and having 50 cards per year someday.
I actually mentioned that Bellator's roster is bigger, but it definitely isn't better. In relative terms, Bellator under Bjorn Rebney offered much more exciting fights and Bellator under Scott Coker offers constant squash matches every card and promotes the heck out of older, past their prime, ex-UFC fighters. Bellator under Bjorn Rebney, fight matchups made sense because of some form of structure. Fight matchups under Scott Coker, fight matchups are all over the place. You can try to sell your propaganda to someone who wants to buy that crap. But that propaganda ain't selling here

I actually mentioned that Bellator's roster is bigger, but it definitely isn't better. In relative terms, Bellator under Bjorn Rebney offered much more exciting fights and Bellator under Scott Coker offers constant squash matches every card and promotes the heck out of older, past their prime, ex-UFC fighters. Bellator under Bjorn Rebney, fight matchups made sense because of some form of structure. Fight matchups under Scott Coker, fight matchups are all over the place. You can try to sell your propaganda to someone who wants to buy that crap. But that propaganda ain't selling here
The roster under Bjorn compared to the roster under Scott isnt even comparable. Just take a look at the amount of A-level talent under Bellator right now as opposed to under Bjorn. Maybe the matchmaking is a problem and makes little sense but you cant say they dont have better roster than before.
Maybe is due to Viacom's checkbook more than Scotts leadership but Bellator's roster is definetively better today than what it was under Bjorn.

Last edited:
The roster under Bjorn compared to the roster under Scott isnt even comparable. Just take a look at the amount of A-level talent under Bellator right now as opposed to under Bjorn. Maybe the matchmaking is a problem and makes little sense but you cant say they dont have better roster than before.
Maybe is due to Viacom's checkbook more than Scotts leadership but Bellator's roster is definetively better today than what it was under Bjorn.
OMG! Do you not understand relative? Or are you just such a Bellator cheerleader that you choose to on purpose be oblivious to the meaning of the word relative? Great, you are a BIG Bellator fan, but selling your propaganda is still propaganda. Enjoy your constant Coker produced squash matches and nonsensical matchups and all those past their prime ex-UFC fighters main eventing and co-main eventing Bellator cards.

OMG! Do you not understand relative? Or are you just such a Bellator cheerleader that you choose to on purpose be oblivious to the meaning of the word relative? Great, you are a BIG Bellator fan, but selling your propaganda is still propaganda. Enjoy your constant Coker produced squash matches and nonsensical matchups and all those past their prime ex-UFC fighters main eventing and co-main eventing Bellator cards.
When was the last time a past their prime ex-UFC fighter main evented a Bellator event? In their last 30 events they had a horrible main event headlined by past their prime ex-UFC fighters (Mir vs Nelson), 1 in the last 30.
You just keep repeating the same things over and over again without any real substance, just blatantly over-the-top opinions. Your act gets old after a while tbh.

Last edited:
Bubba Smith. I meant Bubba Jenkins. For the record.

When was the last time a past their prime ex-UFC fighter main evented a Bellator event? In their last 30 events they had a horrible main event headlined by past their prime ex-UFC fighters (Mir vs Nelson), 1 in the last 30.
You just keep repeating the same things over and over again without any real substance, just blatantly over-the-top opinions. Your act gets old after a while tbh.
Bellator 237 Fedor Emelianenko vs Rampage Jackson, Bellator 227 Benson Henderson vs Myles Jury , Bellator. 232 Frank Mir vs Roy Nelson, scheduled but scratched, Bellator Salute To The Troops Hawaii Josh Barnett vs Ronny Markes just to name 3 that happened and a fourth that was scheduled. And on and on it goes. Coker loves those past their prime fighters and those ex-UFC fighters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back