Dealing with the knee cut rdlr vs shin to shin?

As the guard player right?

Shin to shin to me seems easier to move into sweeps and other guards but not as easy to just retain guard. Rdlr for me is harder to sweep from and harder to move to other guards but is easier to retain guard.

If I know a cut is coming (a lot of dudes at my gym love it and use it religiously) I’ll usually counter by going rdlr on the cutting leg then switch to x guard and sweep. Kinda of hard to explain over text but it flows pretty smoothly.

depend show deep they get if u cant get shin t shin going reverse trying to knee him in the ass with either leg anything to off set his base for a moment to defend the initial pass then try toe stablish control before he can get any grips much easier to show than explain

I block with RDLR hook to slow down the action, make sure to be well positionned on the side and to never let him control my bottom arm or an underhook.

If the guy just continues agressively, I get an underhook, I push with my knee in his butt and I work from there

If he stalls there, I will take my other foot and get a shin to shin and push the leg as far as I can, most of the time he will be unbalanced on his knee with a lot of space for me to get a very good half butterfly position.

but if it's a the really beginning of the kneeslide attempt I will always try to get the shin to shin position and transition to SLX

If I know a cut is coming (a lot of dudes at my gym love it and use it religiously) I’ll usually counter by going rdlr on the cutting leg then switch to x guard and sweep. Kinda of hard to explain over text but it flows pretty smoothly.

You kind of underhook the other leg and switch your hips and push with your legs in the knee to end up in a technical stand up X guard sweep?

Something like that. Often times they’ll see the stand up finish coming by then so I’ll switch to something else.

You watch big time sit up guard players, like Leandro Lo, Lucas Lepri, or Marcelo Garcia, and a major thing you see them all do, especially vs guys who lead with their leg, is like, 'throwing' the guy past them, pulling their leg back over their shoulder, and rolling with it to come up with the leg and sweep.

I've been thinking about this lately.
I don't really play RDLR that much anymore because I feel the top player has such a big advantage there.
If I am there, I am trying to off balance overhead and get my leg out ASAP.

Watch Leary vs Lepri at the Euros.
Lepri is one of the best knee cut passers in the game, and you can tell Leary is very conscious of it because he does his best to never let Lepri step over the leg.

I've been thinking about this lately.
I don't really play RDLR that much anymore because I feel the top player has such a big advantage there.
If I am there, I am trying to off balance overhead and get my leg out ASAP.

Watch Leary vs Lepri at the Euros.
Lepri is one of the best knee cut passers in the game, and you can tell Leary is very conscious of it because he does his best to never let Lepri step over the leg.
Until a few weeks ago i never bothered with any version of dlr. Manly i play no gi. But dealing with the knee cut has made me question to what's the right way to defend the knee slice.

Shin to shin has a few more options but rdlr has better control imo.

As the guard player right?

Shin to shin to me seems easier to move into sweeps and other guards but not as easy to just retain guard. Rdlr for me is harder to sweep from and harder to move to other guards but is easier to retain guard.

this is word for word what i was coming to say

Back