Debate: You shouldn't make fights where one party has nothing to gain.

VenomCarnage

R.I.P. FRANKIENYC
@Brown
Reaction score
I've caught a bit of heat over the last few days about my opinions on fights being poor-making decisions. Some of the fights I disagreed with were as follows:

Robbie Lawler vs Ben Askren
Kevin Lee vs Islam Makhachev
Yoel Romero vs Paulo Costa

...and a new one just popped to mind, and that is Israel Adesanya vs Anderson Silva.

The whole point I'm trying to make in most of these cases is that the whole point of any promotion, Matchroom Boxing, UFC, Bellator, WWE, TNA etc. is to put your product in position where it's easier to make your athletes into profitable entities.

In the Pro Wrestling world it's presumed that the promotion just creates stars out of thin air, but for anyone who has watched the product over the years, we know that isn't always the case. Do you think the WWE made Daniel Bryan into a star? I don't. They gave him a platform to perform, but his hard work and overall likability made him into a star, not the booking, not the politics, just him and his performance - this is much like the likes of Nick Diaz. Nick already has the ground work and the buy-in, so they should be shoving money down the guy's throat to try and make him a star, but because he's not industry made, they cut off their nose to spite their face and say no to millions of dollars just based off ego. Look at Roman Reigns. He has "the look", he's related to The Rock, he has been forced down viewers throats for years now, but is still booed out of arenas because people don't like him. He's not a heel either, he's not supposed to be booed, people just don't like him. That situation reminds me of Sage Northcutt, a handpicked guy who just had the package in the UFC's eyes, but it just never translated, nobody wanted to ride that train.

It makes no sense to do Israel vs Anderson unless you know Israel is going to win. The glory of promotion in general is that you're supposed to somewhat hide your intentions though, promo like this is so obvious that it's almost off putting. What are they hoping for here? They hope that Anderson fans will tune in begging for one more night of The Spider? Any intelligent person knows that Israel will probably dance around a 43 year old Anderson and take a decision here, and hey he may even knock him out if he dares to risk it all - but what happens if Anderson wins? You will absolutely bury a rising star, all for what? Poor matchmaking? Nobody wanted this fight, the fight is a shtick, a "dream matchup" because they are both lanky, black, creative strikers, no real super fight dream-match implications at all, it's a total fallacy.

The UFC need to start thinking long-term with these fights. I don't want squash matches, I don't want rising stars to get "an easy ride", but I want the right fights, stop risking their whole aura on bullshit "gimme fights in disguise" like this one for Israel.

Israel just beat Derek Brunson inside of a round by stylish KO, give the guy Jacare, Weidman, Romero - someone that gets him to a title shot next. The division is fairly shallow, he has gone from fighting Vettori to being pretty close to the top in light speed - and people are buying in, so just keep him going, don't step him back.

Thoughts? Do the UFC really know how to promote?

Who cares I'm not their fucking manager I just wanna see good matchups and this is one on paper.

Man I stopped reading after you disagree with AS vs IA

FOH

Nothing to gain?

One can beat the #2 GOAT
One can beat a young lion and get a fucking title shot.

How is there ever nothing to gain?
The fighters get paid and one of them gets a win.

Adesanya vs Anderson Silva makes no sense? Really? Ignoring the fake wrestling comparisons made by the TS and sticking to actual sport look at Anthony Joshua. Gary Cornish, Dillian Whyte, Charles Martin and Dominic Breazeale were all unbeaten at the time they fought Joshua, they were genuine tests to see how good he is. The Adesanya vs Silva is that kind of fight, if Adesanya loses he's not that good but if he wins you sell his next fight on having beaten a former dominant champion and Silva gets one more shot if he wins it.

Lol at Silva being number 2 goat
If it wasn’t for mcgregor I’d have Aldo above him

Silva vs Adesanya is win win situation.
If Silva wins it is huge and they can promote him for some next fight. Doesnt matter Ade loses it can be seen just as one bump to become champion. If Ade wins they already can make next Ade fight a chanpionship bout. Actually they giving Ade better fight. Silva is old and slow it is less riskier then against some gatekeeper. And much more marketable if Ade wins.

They get paid to fight.

Way too much rambling. I stopped reading when you started talking about the wwe and wouldn’t get to why you thought those matchups didn’t benefit some parties involved which I don’t see

Whittaker has nothing to gain against Gastelum.

There's no such thing as a fight where one party has nothing to gain. The winner will always get money, a W for the rankings, and history recording he is better than his opponent.

There are however many fights that get made where one party has way more to lose than he has to gain.

TS is thinking waaaayy too hard. Israel will indeed beat Anderson. His stock WILL rise. And he WILL get a titleshot. No matter how big of mismatch some may claim a fight to be, afterwards people are all on the winner's nuts. I can give plenty of examples.

Also Anderson still has a sizable following. He's a legend. And some casuals actually believe he will win. So this fight is great. Hopefully he retires after. But ask yourself this, What middleweight would turn down a chance to fight Anderson???? No one that hasn't fought him already. Also Anderson chooses to continue his career so who should he fight? Come on, es normal.

Last edited:

FOH

Nothing to gain?

One can beat the #2 GOAT
To be fair, I think the title shot promise is the only reason Silva took the fight, because it's clear he gains nothing from this otherwise. Not to mention his getting a title shot for beating Bender would be pretty lame.

There are some fights I don't understand the point of. Like, if you win a fight against a guy, then start getting losses, you shouldn't fought that guy again, cuz it could only show you haven't fallen past them, which especially doesn't help if they haven't been winning themselves. Like when Faber beat Pulver then lost to Mike Brown, he got a rematch by turning around and beating Pulver again? What did Pulver do after losing the first time? He lost to Leonard Garcia. So why the rematch? How did that prove anything?

Also, I can understand a "loser leaves town" match, but if there's a guy you're gonna cut, it seems pretty cold to just force him into matches where everyone he beats gets cut until he finally loses, so you can cut him too, like they did with Jon Madsen.

In general, I hate when veterans don't want to face prospects. They act like they can't fight backwards, even though a lot of their coming up was because people higher than them in the rankings took the risk in fighting them in the first place. But on the flipside, if a guy near the top turns around to face an untested prospect and they win, that should count as paying a due, and their next fight should be forward, not fighting off more prospects.

The UFC shouldn't be building up stars. They should make people fight. If you can't beat 43 year old Anderson, you're not worthy in the first place. If you beat him, that's a good recognizable (legendary even) name on your record.

FOH

Nothing to gain?

One can beat the #2 GOAT
that fight makes absolutely no sense. they want to give israel a title shot and to avoid all the real contenders such as costa, gastelum etc. israel will be conor 2.0

Back