Debuting in a 12 rounder is crazy

FlyingDeathKick

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Even guys that have hundreds of amateur fights start off in 4 rounders, then 6, 8, 10 then finally 12. Golovkin had a ton of amateur fights and that's how he started. Even Lomachenko who fought for a title in his debut still didn't debut in a 12 rounder, it was 10 rounds. Anyways this was one of my biggest problems with the fight when it got scheduled and it still makes zero sense to me.

yeah, I've pointed this out in a few threads, but the haters don't care. Floyd himself fought 4 four rounders to start off.

has any big name boxer started their pro career with 12 rounds?

What's funny is if it was a 4 rounder or a 6 rounder Mcgregor would have won mayweather was smart tho waiting until Mcgregor gassed to start engaging.

The number of rounds was your biggest issue which didn't make sense? lol.

The whole fight didn't make sense. It was obviously a money grab on both sides.

What's funny is if it was a 4 rounder or a 6 rounder Mcgregor would have won mayweather was smart tho waiting until Mcgregor gassed to start engaging.

If it was a 4 or 6 rounder Mayweather wouldn't have fooled around for the fist 3-4. He threw 28 punches in the first three rounds combined, less than a third of his usual output which is already low compared to most fighters. He was playing him and giving people their money's worth.

Of all the stuff Conor does, THAT'S the thing you want to point out as crazy?

It's pretty embarrassing that this is Floyd's 50th win. He's clearly done fighting at the top level, so this is his legacy.

A cheap win against a guy who had no business being in there, and who did better than he should have.

Boxing needs to get out of its bubble. As a striking art, it's stock dropped. It shouldn't be that difficult.

Yeah but do you really think people are going to shell out PPV money for a 4-rounder?

Yeah but do you really think people are going to shell out PPV money for a 4-rounder?
I think casuals wouldn't care or even know how many rounds the fight was supposed to be. 6 rds would have been good.

Well, for 100M it's a bit different.

he wanted the challenge, it was an exhibition fight. People who still believe that was a real boxing match need to wake up.

has any big name boxer started their pro career with 12 rounds?

Olympic Champion Pete Rademacher http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/20110 fought none other than Heavyweight World Champion Floyd Patterson in his debut in 1957 in a fight scheduled for 15 rounds. He is one of only two boxers in history to have fought for a World Title in his debut (as far as i know). He got KO'd in the 6th, being dropped 7 times in total. But he did manage to drop Patterson in the 2nd round.
He finished his career with a rather unimpressive 15-7-1 record.

The only other fighter that i know of who fought for a World Title in his debut was Rafael Lovera http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/51391 . He fought for the WBC World Light Flyweight title in his debut in 1975. He got KO'd in 4 in a fight scheduled for 15. Nobody knew that it was his debut until after the fight (except him of course).
He retired with an even less impressive pro record than Rademacher at 0-1.

Back