Defining "your" Jiu-Jitsu

Estrangulamento

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello guys, I'm a new member and I'm studying the art for 3 years now.

I'm trying to define my Jiu Jitsu as in making a gameplan, since I'm reading so much about it. I don't feel much for a mindmap as that should come natural, in my opinion.

The main thing I'm trying to find out is: am I doing this right?

The format I use to define my game is step by step or, position to position. This is what it looks like.

---
Format: Gi

Standing:
- O-Uchi Gari to top half
- O-Uchi Gari to Uchi Mata (on the backstep) to top half/mount/side

Top Half:
- Esgrima Pass
- Roll to Turtle Top

Mount:
- S-Armlock/S-Cross Collar combo (High Mount)
- Arm Triangle/Ezequiel Choke combo (Low Mount/Grapevine)

Side Mount:
- Bow and Arrow Choke
- Step Over Choke
- To Back
- To Mount

Back Mount:
- Armlock
- Bow and Arrow Choke

Guard:
- Armlock
- Cross Collar Choke
- To Back
- Pendulum Sweep

Guard Top:
- Single Under Pass
- Double Under Pass

Half Guard Bottom:
- To Back

Turtle Top:
- Clock Choke
- To Back

Turtle Bottom:
- Double/Single Leg
- Reversal
- Running Man to Open Guard

Mount Bottom:
- Upa
- Elbow Escape
- To Half Guard

Side Mount Bottom:
- Reguard
- To Knees
- Running Man

---

Now this looks like a list of random moves and these are the moves that I tend to go for in the corresponding position. I know alot of other moves and positions but I just placed a roughsketch of what I use so you guys know how I use it.

Is this the correct way of putting it down or should I have another approach to a game plan?

I really want to know how you guys do it, go with the flow or do you use something similar except for mindmapping?

And if I'm correct, should I focus on less things or more?

Thanks in advance.

IMO you should have a shorter, "cliff notes" version of your main gameplan, one that's short enough to refer to right before class. try to keep too many things on your mind, you'll forget most of it, or have analysis paralysis.

Here's most of mine which was boiled down from my long version. for example i don't explain what "posture" means for open guard passing, i just know. i just want to remember to check and be aware of my posture as one of first things on my mind, then i start using gripfighting, pressure, and angles to pass the guard. i don't write down the specific guard passes i use, i just see the openings for passes that i know that appear when i apply pressure and go for them.

REMEMBER

- Breathe, relax, slow down. <- mantra I recite before each roll with calm deep breaths

TOP POSITION

- posture, gripfighting
- pressure <> sensitivity
- angling to defeat frames

GUARD / BOTTOM

- posture
- distance management
- wrist control to two-on-one to sweeps
- counter their grips with two-on-one
- they stand? rdlr

- backdoor escape

TEST / ADD

- cross-grip guard pass
- pro drag
- closed guard ground path
- rickson mount / maia cross-choke "open the elbow"

Thanks for the reply.
So what you're saying is that I shouldn't be concerned about the moves I use, as they are already in my muscle memory and should focus more on the positioning (angles), and correct grips/details..?

IMO you should have a shorter, "cliff notes" version of your main gameplan, one that's short enough to refer to right before class. try to keep too many things on your mind, you'll forget most of it, or have analysis paralysis.

Here's most of mine which was boiled down from my long version. for example i don't explain what "posture" means for open guard passing, i just know. i just want to remember to check and be aware of my posture as one of first things on my mind, then i start using gripfighting, pressure, and angles to pass the guard. i don't write down the specific guard passes i use, i just see the openings for passes that i know that appear when i apply pressure and go for them.

Great response!

Back