Media Demetrious Johnson: "Flyweights Should NEVER Main Event" At UFC

I'd watch a DJ headline any day of the week

The UFC is all about promoting Dana - Tom Brady roast, a table full of fighters, all eyes are on Dana (just the way he likes it).

They were putting O'Malley on camera constantly

A lot of their challengers don’t get promoted or are buried in prelims/fight nights.

People say card order doesn’t matter- but it absolutely does. FLW is the only division besides maybe WMMA where fighters can get title shots without ever being on a main card PPV or main card period.

Blame the fighters lack of personality all you want but there’s been numerous fighters that don’t generate their own hype from talking shit but at least get featured on higher up cards which makes their fights seem more important and more memorable to many fans

Why is it U Fight Cheap's problem? ESPN are the ones who are on the hook for this trash.

If I was Hunter Campbell (remember, Ari and Dana don't actually give a shit about their product) I'd headline the odd random card with Carla Esparza vs my cleaning lady just to have a laugh at ESPN. And it seems the real Hunter isn't too far off from my mentality.

UFC have no interest in their brand?

I'm share stakeholders do not share that sentiment.

He is right, iirc correctly Johnson never headlined a ppv and that's because FLW don't draw money but since we are in the ESPN era where ppv buys don't matter I guess U Fight Cheap don't give a fuck and put any champ to headlone.

He headlined four ppvs

125 is a hard sell no matter how much you promote it. If they announced dj vs pantoja now I'd only really go out of my way to see it if it's free or like the 3rd best fight on a PPV.

FLW division is in a better spot than it was in. Just needs some popular fighters in it.
Thank god mclovin didnt win. FLW would be sunk.

At least Pantoja is cool...but the div is in desperate need of guys who are gonna draw attention to it and make some noise.

Thank god mclovin didnt win. FLW would be sunk.

At least Pantoja is cool...but the div is in desperate need of guys who are gonna draw attention to it and make some noise.
I said this earlier, but maybe Muhammad Mokaev or Manel Kape can be the "star" of the division?

They're both intune to talking shit and bring a whole country behind them.

Reactions: HHJ
They had more promotion for 303 than 301 during that fight week, not to mention the lack of a presser, then when Pantoja wants to negotiate his contract they are gonna spit the PPV numbers back at him.

I said this earlier, but maybe Muhammad Mokaev or Manel Kape can be the "star" of the division?

They're both intune to talking shit and bring a whole country behind them.
Kape def has potential man, they both do. Especially Kape forces people to pay attention to him wether you like him or not and thats a great quality.

Mokaev def aint no shy boy either.

You can't sell FW to casual fans and MMA does not have diehard loyal fans.

I still think they should have paid Mighty Mouse more due to his accomplishments, legitimacy, skill set etc. if you want to legitimize a sport sometimes you got to take a hit to maintain excellency

Naoya Inoue is smaller than a flyweight and just sold out the Tokyo Dome so its definitely possible for a small fighter to main event a big event. The UFC just hasnt found the fighter to do it yet

1715122482162.png

Naoya Inoue is smaller than a flyweight and just sold out the Tokyo Dome so its definitely possible for a small fighter to main event a big event. The UFC just hasnt found the fighter to do it yet
Absolutley. One of the most must see manlet fighters there has ever been. Dynamite in his hands.

You can't sell FW to casual fans and MMA does not have diehard loyal fans.
You can. Because personality is more important than being an exciting fighter.

If people like your personality AND you beat everyone, they will root for you to stink the ring up, as long as you keep winning.

FW needs one of those kinda guys to get people emotionally invested.

The problem is that Japan had no real combat sports star so they all clung to him in that sense and it's a passionate country about their sports.

I said it in a post right above yours, the only 2 i see if they can get to the title possibly being a "star" at flyweight is Muhammad Mokaev(Undefeated from England/Muslim) and Manel Kape(Portugal/Talks Shit) that make people want to watch.

125lbs isnt even that small. There are superstars in boxing below that weigh.
To give Johnson in exchange for Askren is disgusting

Back