Demetrious Johnson: "MMA is ‘the easiest sport to become champion in."

My thoughts

I don't know if this is technically correct, as there are alot of things considered sports by some that might not make the cut by others

But I will agree that MMA is up there among the top sports

{<huh}

Thinks about what you are saying.

What would happen in boxing if you tried to streamline a 6-1 fighter to a Championship fight?

He wouldn't get there because he would get absolutely fucked up before he even got close.

Brock fought a former world champion in his second career fight. Then he beat a solid fighter in Heath Herring and then beat the UFC HW champ in his 4th career fight.

This could just not happen in boxing lol. You can't even try to come up a logical hypothetical for it. Brock was a NCAA champion wrestler than didn't even train wrestling for years. Dude did WWE and tried to play football. I highly doubt he was practicing anything but WWE grappling for litterally years. Then he takes up MMA and beats the champion after essentially not even training an MMA base since he was in college.

What would the boxing equivalent to that even be? It would be like if Deontay Wilder beat Tyson Fury in his 4th career fight lmao. And
Wilder is pretty much the only boxer I can even think of that started that old.
Not sure what you're talking about because my only mention of boxing is that you can get knocked out if you make one little mistake.

Good point. His two examples were 2 guys who were given easy fights and gifted undeserving title opportunities. I don't think that happens in other sports.
correct it rarely happens ....the only time in boxing i can remember was Leon Spinks getting a fight against Ali with a 6-0-1 record

{<huh}

Thinks about what you are saying.

What would happen in boxing if you tried to streamline a 6-1 fighter to a Championship fight?

He wouldn't get there because he would get absolutely fucked up before he even got close.

Brock fought a former world champion in his second career fight. Then he beat a solid fighter in Heath Herring and then beat the UFC HW champ in his 4th career fight.

This could just not happen in boxing lol. You can't even try to come up a logical hypothetical for it. Brock was a NCAA champion wrestler than didn't even train wrestling for years. Dude did WWE and tried to play football. I highly doubt he was practicing anything but WWE grappling for litterally years. Then he takes up MMA and beats the champion after essentially not even training an MMA base since he was in college.

What would the boxing equivalent to that even be? It would be like if Deontay Wilder beat Tyson Fury in his 4th career fight lmao. And
Wilder is pretty much the only boxer I can even think of that started that old.
I actually remember as a kid, Leon Spinks was 6-0-1 and was given a title shot against ALi and actually won...but I agree, ITS VERY RARE

I don’t know. I think DJ could’ve made a hell of a jockey too.

What DJ means is it’s the sport where it’s possible to have not trained your whole life & still become UFC world champion. In other sports, the absolute best are people who trained their whole life in the sport. There are examples of MMA world champions who didn’t train for many yrs. No one is gonna train basketball for 3 yrs & become the best player in the world for example

I don’t understand why this obvious concept is so hard for a lot of fans to understand

I do like how upset MMA fans get when boxing is brought up

to me it’s a sign that the focus has shifted to being the little brother again in the combat sports world, which is annoying

Easier to become champ in mma compared to other combat sports, but it's harder to stay champion in mma compared to every other combat sport just because the best fight the best and there is so many ways to lose in mma.

to me it’s a sign that the focus has shifted to being the little brother again in the combat sports world, which is annoying
It probably doesn't help that there's constant talk of UFC champs going to do boxing matches as soon as they win a title

He is right but it's not because of MMA it's because of the UFC not being a proper sports league where you have to fight your way up the ranks. When you do that you have to face dozens of fighters with a variety of skill sets and can't just hide your gaps. If Pereira had to face hard core wrestlers on his path to the championship fight, he would have never captured the MW title.

It probably doesn't help that there's constant talk of UFC champs going to do boxing matches as soon as they win a title

that’s the ufc’s fault for paying champions so little, it works both ways, the ufc also gives them that easy route to a championship if guys get into the sport at a mature age.

it’s tricky

What a hilariously wrong statement. 1. the competition is too big for mma to be the easiest sport to become champion in. Sports like netball or some other fringe sport is way easier to get a championship in because you face way less competition. Simple matlhs. 2. the reasoning for his claim is dumb as hell. So Pereira got fasttracked. But you guys do realize Pereira is a literal double champ in kickboxing, right? He got fasttracked because of who he is. He basically had to be a kickboxing double champ THEN add skills to his skillset, THEN became mma champ.

The amount of agreement this utterly deranged statement has gotten should embarass all of you.

He's right. But that quote left out he didn't just say boxing, he said every other combat sport is harder than MMA.

Back