Demetrious Johnson reveals shocking pay during UFC run: ‘That’s where that chip on my shoulder came

Sick85

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
upload_2023-1-18_18-33-49.jpeg

Demetrious Johnson shed some light on his pay during his tenure with the UFC – and the numbers are quite shocking.

The former UFC flyweight champion, now ONE Championship’s flyweight titleholder, revealed what he was getting paid while he was a title contender and champion in the UFC.

Johnson (31-4-1), who’s regarded as the greatest flyweight in MMA history, said he was making well under six figures many fights, even when he was several fights into his distinguished title reign.
“When I fought Dominick Cruz (for the bantamweight title in 2011), I was on a contract – I think I was fighting for ($14,000 to show) and ($14,000 to win),” Johnson said during one of his recent Twitch streams. “I lost to Dominick Cruz, so I made $14K. Then I was about to fight Eddie Wineland, and that didn’t go through, so I fought Ian McCall in Australia. I was still on that same contract. And then I got a new contract when I fought Ian McCall the second time. I think I got bumped up to ($20,000) and ($20,000).

“So I beat Ian McCall, and then I fought Joseph Benavidez, and I was still on that ($20,000) and ($20,000). When I fought John Dodson, I made ($23,000) and ($23,000). And then when I fought John Moraga, it probably went to ($26,000) and ($26,000). And then when it was Joseph Benavidez (in the rematch), I think it was like ($30,000) and ($30,000).”

Johnson revealed it took him three consecutive title defense for him to get a champion contract with the UFC – which usually means more money and pay-per-view points. “Mighty Mouse” did get a bump in pay, but didn’t get the same pay-per-view provisions most champions have in their contracts.“I finally got a new contract as champion, and I think it was ($125,000 to show) and ($50,000 to win), but I couldn’t get pay-per-view points – and that’s where a champion makes most of their bang for their buck, is the pay-per-view points,” Johnson said. “Because if you get on a card with a Conor McGregor and he does 2.1 million buys, then you just do the f*cking math. You’re going to make a sh*tload of money. I never got the opportunity to do that.”
Toward the end of his historic title reign at 125 pounds, the UFC tried to book a champion vs. champion fight between Johnson and then-bantamweight titleholder T.J. Dillashaw. Johnson said low pay was the reason he never accepted the bout.

“When they tried to stiffarm me to fight T.J. Dillashaw, I was like, ‘Yeah, pay me a f*cking million dollars and I’ll do it. This is a super fight, let’s make some super money.’ They never wanted to do that. That’s why I came out like that, basically pushing back, like, ‘When does a champion have leverage? When does a champion be able to get what’s due to him?’“I’m going on my seventh or eighth consecutive title defense, you’ve got f*cking CM Punk over here who’s making 500 bones ($500,000) and it’s his second fight in the UFC. That’s where that chip on my shoulder came from.”
upload_2023-1-18_18-36-39.jpeg

What a shock. I remember people at the time calling MM a duck for declining that tj fight too
Dude literally has the title defense record yet he couldn't get a million for a champion vs champion fight lol
But hey, Dana leaving will only hurt the fighters!

DNgaLfjWsAUG0m-.jpg

View attachment 963631

Demetrious Johnson shed some light on his pay during his tenure with the UFC – and the numbers are quite shocking.

The former UFC flyweight champion, now ONE Championship’s flyweight titleholder, revealed what he was getting paid while he was a title contender and champion in the UFC.

Johnson (31-4-1), who’s regarded as the greatest flyweight in MMA history, said he was making well under six figures many fights, even when he was several fights into his distinguished title reign.
“When I fought Dominick Cruz (for the bantamweight title in 2011), I was on a contract – I think I was fighting for ($14,000 to show) and ($14,000 to win),” Johnson said during one of his recent Twitch streams. “I lost to Dominick Cruz, so I made $14K. Then I was about to fight Eddie Wineland, and that didn’t go through, so I fought Ian McCall in Australia. I was still on that same contract. And then I got a new contract when I fought Ian McCall the second time. I think I got bumped up to ($20,000) and ($20,000).

“So I beat Ian McCall, and then I fought Joseph Benavidez, and I was still on that ($20,000) and ($20,000). When I fought John Dodson, I made ($23,000) and ($23,000). And then when I fought John Moraga, it probably went to ($26,000) and ($26,000). And then when it was Joseph Benavidez (in the rematch), I think it was like ($30,000) and ($30,000).”

Johnson revealed it took him three consecutive title defense for him to get a champion contract with the UFC – which usually means more money and pay-per-view points. “Mighty Mouse” did get a bump in pay, but didn’t get the same pay-per-view provisions most champions have in their contracts.“I finally got a new contract as champion, and I think it was ($125,000 to show) and ($50,000 to win), but I couldn’t get pay-per-view points – and that’s where a champion makes most of their bang for their buck, is the pay-per-view points,” Johnson said. “Because if you get on a card with a Conor McGregor and he does 2.1 million buys, then you just do the f*cking math. You’re going to make a sh*tload of money. I never got the opportunity to do that.”
Toward the end of his historic title reign at 125 pounds, the UFC tried to book a champion vs. champion fight between Johnson and then-bantamweight titleholder T.J. Dillashaw. Johnson said low pay was the reason he never accepted the bout.

“When they tried to stiffarm me to fight T.J. Dillashaw, I was like, ‘Yeah, pay me a f*cking million dollars and I’ll do it. This is a super fight, let’s make some super money.’ They never wanted to do that. That’s why I came out like that, basically pushing back, like, ‘When does a champion have leverage? When does a champion be able to get what’s due to him?’“I’m going on my seventh or eighth consecutive title defense, you’ve got f*cking CM Punk over here who’s making 500 bones ($500,000) and it’s his second fight in the UFC. That’s where that chip on my shoulder came from.”
View attachment 963633

Same thread was made yesterday, and got thrown to WW MMA forum, good luck.

Mighty Mouse was the worst treated UFC Champion of the modern era. I still don't forgive the UFC for how they treated him, the Cejudo decision, them trading him away for Askren and not wanting to pay to keep Horiguchi. I THOUGHT THE BEST FOUGHT THE BEST IN THE UFC?

Francis complains about being paid base pay 500000 for one fight is too low

Nobody is interested in manlets fighting, so why does he think he should get paid?

Because he's the world fucking champion hahaha

Wtf? Who r u to say he wasnt liked or people didnt care...Mighty mouse was must watch tv bro..

Imagine being the best at the sport u do and someone says well ur not interesting to me so u get less money lmfao..

Theres players in the NBA WHO DONT EVEN PLAY GAMES OR CONTRIBUTE TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP WIN and they get millions and still get there names on the trophy ...

If u cant see why DJ deserves a Mill ur part of the problem boss

Was thinking the same. Just can’t watch anything below 170, it’s just a freak show.
Nobody is interested in manlets fighting, so why does he think he should get paid?
Odd since MM is the size of some of boxing most popular fighters through history. Sounds like it's shitty promoting to blame.

What a shock. I remember people at the time calling MM a duck for declining that tj fight too
Dude literally has the title defense record yet he couldn't get a million for a champion vs champion fight lol
But hey, Dana leaving will only hurt the fighters!
He must be lying. I'm sure Dana offered him hundreds of millions, that MM turned down because he was afraid to fight. Just ask Dana.

It's like there's a Mad Libs book that Dana uses when a fight or fighter deal doesn't get closed. And we always just have to take Dana's word for it.

Call me a shill if you want, but lets be honest, this is sports entertainment and guys like MM are never gonna be worth as much to the UFC as characters like Paddy Pimblett, Chael Sonnen, the Diaz bros etc regardless of talent.

It sucks but should the UFC really have given MM the million he wanted plus PPV points when he was only selling ~200k PPV buys? I'd love to see straight edge talented guys like MM making bank but at the end of the day the UFC is a business.

Call me a shill if you want, but lets be honest, this is sports entertainment and guys like MM are never gonna be worth as much to the UFC as characters like Paddy Pimblett, Chael Sonnen, the Diaz bros etc regardless of talent.

It sucks but should the UFC really have given MM the million he wanted plus PPV points when he was only selling ~200k PPV buys?
200k buys is 600k revenue for the UFC, plus another half million or more for gate, then sponsors. In other words, paying MM a million for a 200k PPV is giving him a third of revenue. Not an unreasonable ask unless you're in mma apparently.

Not to mention the UFC shit the bed with promoting MM and FLW

Back