• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Development of the War Dogs:

Man, I only want like 3 or 4 Coaches who agree on how to operate. Not necessarily on what style they teach, but how they teach. Right now even this gym is sharky af for no reason. There's a Coach who avoids having his guys spar with mine...but if I have guest sparring he's always trying to get the guest Coach to put their guys with his. Its embarrassing. Whenever he does allow his guys to spar with mine, he ends up berating them.

I'd not allow that guy to train in my facility.

Finding coaches with the same teaching philosophy as you sounds like one challenging issue to tackle. I don't intend to keep bringing up the coach I've talked about, but I think it fits in our conversation. He hopped around different gyms, 2 of which were pretty popular and the other was the "Premier" gym for boxers to break into the international scene from where I'm at. He mostly either quit or got fired because of of the reason you stated already. He just had a different teaching philosophy. Politics and going against the already established grain just caused clashing of egos.

He did have a small, brief stint of owning his own small gym and had the same problems. Disagreement between coaches, egos clashing, etc..

If you do find a team that shares the same philosophy as yours, I'd be surprised if your gym won't produce amazing talent. Just one technically sound boxer one after the other. Hopefully you haven't experienced any parasites? Coaches or gyms just taking away your students.

Finding coaches with the same teaching philosophy as you sounds like one challenging issue to tackle. I don't intend to keep bringing up the coach I've talked about, but I think it fits in our conversation. He hopped around different gyms, 2 of which were pretty popular and the other was the "Premier" gym for boxers to break into the international scene from where I'm at. He mostly either quit or got fired because of of the reason you stated already. He just had a different teaching philosophy. Politics and going against the already established grain just caused clashing of egos.

He did have a small, brief stint of owning his own small gym and had the same problems. Disagreement between coaches, egos clashing, etc..

If you do find a team that shares the same philosophy as yours, I'd be surprised if your gym won't produce amazing talent. Just one technically sound boxer one after the other. Hopefully you haven't experienced any parasites? Coaches or gyms just taking away your students.

For sure, there's one I can count on in my current gym, because he took a lot of cues from me when he started training. There are 1 or 2 others located in the City, otherwise I'd have to import one from Iceland. If you dont mind, DM me the name of your Coach. I'm now very curious.

Running a gym, I now realize, has to be done the right way. You get a small crew of cohesive Coaches and make them happy. Market the f*ck out of the Gym and connect to the community, who will funnel kids into it. Otherwise you end up with defunct Coaches with high turnover. Tocco's lost some good young fighters over the years because 1 or 2 Coaches made mistakes, refused to correct them, then the kid didnt want to come back out of embarrassment.

Yeah I've experienced parasites. There will always be those types.

You get a small crew of cohesive Coaches and make them happy. Market the f*ck out of the Gym and connect to the community
I’ve often wondered about this bc this is essentially the mma and kickboxing model.

mma gyms have a team. The team trains together, does conditioning together, spars together, etc. a cohesive team made of dozens of different fighters with different specialties, weight classes, and experience. The coaches operate under a head instructor and all work together to make the team better.

Boxing gyms generally have a bunch of independent trainers sharing a space. each trainer had their own squad, stable, or team and they use the equipment and space to train their guys. By nature this creates tribalism that leads to conflict and drama between trainers, fighters, etc.

My program is run out of an mma gym so we run the mma model, We do everything as a team. Right now the team is small enough I can shuffle guys between weight classes and open/novice divisions but I’m quickly running up against having multiple guys in the same division which creates issues for tournaments. We’re working through it but barring that I don’t see any other real problems with the model.

you need a funnel for coaches because your membership will outgrow your staff pretty quick. A coach in training program that identifies and trains guys in house is the best solution I’ve found so far. I’ve had one coach graduate from it, another kid who’s our current coach in training and another on deck.

the other hard thing about it is relinquishing control. I’m sending a coach and 2 boxers to go spar at my old gym without me and I’m trying not to lose my mind over it. I’ve been present and in the corner for every fight under our banner and every time we’ve sparred another team. Unfortunately as we grow that isn’t tenable. I’ve also cornered every fight and taped every hand, but I’m forecasting a time where we have two tournaments at the same time or multiple athletes competing at the same time in a big tourney . Part of sending the coach and guys to go spar without me is to start training ME to be ok when I’m eventually unable to be in the corner.

For sure, there's one I can count on in my current gym, because he took a lot of cues from me when he started training. There are 1 or 2 others located in the City, otherwise I'd have to import one from Iceland. If you dont mind, DM me the name of your Coach. I'm now very curious.

Running a gym, I now realize, has to be done the right way. You get a small crew of cohesive Coaches and make them happy. Market the f*ck out of the Gym and connect to the community, who will funnel kids into it. Otherwise you end up with defunct Coaches with high turnover. Tocco's lost some good young fighters over the years because 1 or 2 Coaches made mistakes, refused to correct them, then the kid didnt want to come back out of embarrassment.

Yeah I've experienced parasites. There will always be those types.

Ironically, marketing right now is all about algorithms and trends. Which means, you might need to do something completely different to and hope it sticks or you're going to have to post some flashy mitts session of fighters throwing unrealistically flashy 12 punch combinations. <45><45><45>

I’ve often wondered about this bc this is essentially the mma and kickboxing model.

mma gyms have a team. The team trains together, does conditioning together, spars together, etc. a cohesive team made of dozens of different fighters with different specialties, weight classes, and experience. The coaches operate under a head instructor and all work together to make the team better.

Boxing gyms generally have a bunch of independent trainers sharing a space. each trainer had their own squad, stable, or team and they use the equipment and space to train their guys. By nature this creates tribalism that leads to conflict and drama between trainers, fighters, etc.

My program is run out of an mma gym so we run the mma model, We do everything as a team. Right now the team is small enough I can shuffle guys between weight classes and open/novice divisions but I’m quickly running up against having multiple guys in the same division which creates issues for tournaments. We’re working through it but barring that I don’t see any other real problems with the model.

you need a funnel for coaches because your membership will outgrow your staff pretty quick. A coach in training program that identifies and trains guys in house is the best solution I’ve found so far. I’ve had one coach graduate from it, another kid who’s our current coach in training and another on deck.

the other hard thing about it is relinquishing control. I’m sending a coach and 2 boxers to go spar at my old gym without me and I’m trying not to lose my mind over it. I’ve been present and in the corner for every fight under our banner and every time we’ve sparred another team. Unfortunately as we grow that isn’t tenable. I’ve also cornered every fight and taped every hand, but I’m forecasting a time where we have two tournaments at the same time or multiple athletes competing at the same time in a big tourney . Part of sending the coach and guys to go spar without me is to start training ME to be ok when I’m eventually unable to be in the corner.

Ego is definitely what stops boxing gyms from functioning coherently, but that also includes gym owners. Most gym owners I've ever met dont understand that Sport is a long term investment and requires connection to the community. They're just trying to milk their members for all they can pay, but they're not out getting their kids sponsors or trying to fund their teams. They're always penny-pinching instead, which means the team gets very little. The owner of Tocco's did this. He didn't lift a finger to get the team sponsored and I did A LOT of work to make a viable Amateur program that ended up having highly-rated fighters. About the time they got ranked he started skimping on costs. One time he even rejected sending my assistant Coach to tournament with FOUR of my fighters (out of 6 total going) because the kid going with the most experience wanted his Coach to go, and he would only pay for one Coach. Then guess what? That Coach ended up refusing to go after that kid pulled out. So my 4 fighters went with no Coach because the gym owner was butt-hurt about his own bad decision, listening to the one kid who was acting like a diva. 2 of my fighters were paying out of pocket to go as well.

Sh*t like this has made me not want to do business with a lot of people in Vegas. The gym I'm at now had a former kickboxing gym owner come in and try to run the gym. He said he was going to advertise and get hundreds of new members. He did make the gym look nicer for a bit, but he did NOT connect to the community and get people in the door. Instead when people didnt magically appear, he started hassling the coaches and already existing members to pay more. This soured the owners on him and that's why they decided to close half the gym.

I realize that a gym needs 2 things:

1) General operations manager - oversees functioning of the gym, utilities, amenities, etc. Works with the head coach to make sure everything functions smoothly, makes sure memberships are paid and current. And members are happy with the environment. The manager should also book competition trips and accommodations.

2) Head Coach - oversees the direction of the training program(s). Reports any equipment or amenity malfunctions to the Manager, they work together to create a good environment. Oversees the safety and advancement of the students, and this includes spotting when students are with the wrong Coach and intervening when necessary as opposed to letting that get toxic.

Then the owner should be always trying to get more money into the programs. Advertising, sponsorships, grants, investment of charity funds, etc.

Back at Tocco's all these tasks were set between myself and the owner and the owner only halfway cared. He definitely didnt subscribe to the "spend money to make money mentality and just expected that me making the fighters good and making a good environment out of nothing would work. It worked well enough to sustain, but not to grow.

Ironically, marketing right now is all about algorithms and trends. Which means, you might need to do something completely different to and hope it sticks or you're going to have to post some flashy mitts session of fighters throwing unrealistically flashy 12 punch combinations. <45><45><45>

Lol, I think there's room for a little more than that.

This is Diego "El Mariachi" Herrera. We gave him that nickname because he actually played in a Mariachi band when he started with me, but now it's because he's a gun slinger like the movie. If you let him throw he doesnt stop, tendency to wall through anything and just keep going. The guys who prefer to box don't have a lot of fun sparring him because hes that "what if I hit the guy and he doesnt even blink" nightmare come to life. Its difficult to believe that he went from crying out of pure shyness and reluctance on his first day, to this (black shirt, all black headgear):

This is Diego "El Mariachi" Herrera. We gave him that nickname because he actually played in a Mariachi band when he started with me, but now it's because he's a gun slinger like the movie. If you let him throw he doesnt stop, tendency to wall through anything and just keep going. The guys who prefer to box don't have a lot of fun sparring him because hes that "what if I hit the guy and he doesnt even blink" nightmare come to life. Its difficult to believe that he went from crying out of pure shyness and reluctance on his first day, to this (black shirt, all black headgear):

El Mariachi is an amazing nickname. lol

Ego is definitely what stops boxing gyms from functioning coherently, but that also includes gym owners. Most gym owners I've ever met dont understand that Sport is a long term investment and requires connection to the community. They're just trying to milk their members for all they can pay, but they're not out getting their kids sponsors or trying to fund their teams. They're always penny-pinching instead, which means the team gets very little. The owner of Tocco's did this. He didn't lift a finger to get the team sponsored and I did A LOT of work to make a viable Amateur program that ended up having highly-rated fighters. About the time they got ranked he started skimping on costs. One time he even rejected sending my assistant Coach to tournament with FOUR of my fighters (out of 6 total going) because the kid going with the most experience wanted his Coach to go, and he would only pay for one Coach. Then guess what? That Coach ended up refusing to go after that kid pulled out. So my 4 fighters went with no Coach because the gym owner was butt-hurt about his own bad decision, listening to the one kid who was acting like a diva. 2 of my fighters were paying out of pocket to go as well.

Sh*t like this has made me not want to do business with a lot of people in Vegas. The gym I'm at now had a former kickboxing gym owner come in and try to run the gym. He said he was going to advertise and get hundreds of new members. He did make the gym look nicer for a bit, but he did NOT connect to the community and get people in the door. Instead when people didnt magically appear, he started hassling the coaches and already existing members to pay more. This soured the owners on him and that's why they decided to close half the gym.

I realize that a gym needs 2 things:

1) General operations manager - oversees functioning of the gym, utilities, amenities, etc. Works with the head coach to make sure everything functions smoothly, makes sure memberships are paid and current. And members are happy with the environment. The manager should also book competition trips and accommodations.

2) Head Coach - oversees the direction of the training program(s). Reports any equipment or amenity malfunctions to the Manager, they work together to create a good environment. Oversees the safety and advancement of the students, and this includes spotting when students are with the wrong Coach and intervening when necessary as opposed to letting that get toxic.

Then the owner should be always trying to get more money into the programs. Advertising, sponsorships, grants, investment of charity funds, etc.

Back at Tocco's all these tasks were set between myself and the owner and the owner only halfway cared. He definitely didnt subscribe to the "spend money to make money mentality and just expected that me making the fighters good and making a good environment out of nothing would work. It worked well enough to sustain, but not to grow.
You’re describing my current situation. How would your family feel about living somewhere with 8 months of rain but the most beautiful scenery you can imagine? You can come up here and we’ll throw in together.

edit: a city with 8 months rain and a population that’s 96% wipipo

You’re describing my current situation. How would your family feel about living somewhere with 8 months of rain but the most beautiful scenery you can imagine? You can come up here and we’ll throw in together.

edit: a city with 8 months rain and a population that’s 96% wipipo

Lol, my wife doesnt want to abandon her pension or her Father in AZ. That's the only reason I'm not already in Norway

I'm definitely showing this round to a guy I'm training. I'm trying to develop his ability to keep composure when he's hit. Seems like Diego is great at that, the other dude was praying for the round to end.

I'm definitely showing this round to a guy I'm training. I'm trying to develop his ability to keep composure when he's hit. Seems like Diego is great at that, the other dude was praying for the round to end.

Yeah he has a magical ability to just shake it off. And I'm not even sure I've seen him express pain from a punch...but he was a bit of a aoft shy quiet kid when I met him. I can give you some good composure drills to help your student.

BTW I have no qualms about having 2 guys in the same division for tournaments. This was 2 of my guys fighting each other in a tournament final, best fight no one cared about lol

Last edited:
BTW I have no qualms about having 2 guys in the same division for tournaments. This was 2 of my guys fighting each other in a tournament final, best fight no one cared about lol
that would wreck my gym
Culture. Glad they could realize it’s not personal though and do the business

that would wreck my gym
Culture. Glad they could realize it’s not personal though and do the business

I groom them to be able to handle it. If some friends can play in a basketball rec league together on different teams, there's no reason they cant have a fight in the same spirit. It's just seeing who is better. I always felt the MMA community was overly weird about this. Oscar De La Hoya and Shane Mosley were friends since they were 7 and 9 years old. Floyd and Zab Judah were friends and roommates on the US National Team, and Floyd hired Zab for sparring a bunch of times after they fought.

Oscar and Raul had a good match, then we went to dinner later that night. No weirdness about it.

This is Jake, who we call "Psycho" Jake because for a while he had a nose that would bleed if you looked at him hard enough...but he would smile through the mask of blood when it happened during sparring. This time the blood on his shirt wasnt his. He's in the brown shirt, white headgear, oh and sorry for both che horizontal video and that this came from the other Coach so all you hear is him:

1) I have a whole team there including 3 Pros and an assistant Coach who want me there.

2) You dont need a car to live in Oslo

3) Tax-paid University for my kids.

4) Universal health care.

5) UBI
My instructor married a Norwegian. His son is over there going thru training to become a policeman.

Back