Diaz/GSP Press Conference...(Should Stalling Fights Get Points Deducted?)

ComfortablyNumb55

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
First of all, this is one of my favorite press conferences of all time. Nick is just so brutally real and he wears his heart on his sleeve.

He makes a point during this press conference that MMA/UFC should punish spam wrestlers that stall fights with holding, laying and praying, etc. Nick states MMA involves everything and spam wrestling is killing the sport. Nick also states he'd like 10 minute rounds to determine who the real best fighter is. It was also hilarious to see him call out Dana with no regard lol.

How do you feel about Nick's statements? Part of me agrees, but it'd be difficult to implement and it'd be a completely subjective rule.

He starts talking about it at 11:34.

Agree with what? Georges kept pressing action while his opponents tried to stall from the bottom

Like I ask Sherdoggers, did they ever watch Georges' fight or did they just parrot some other idiot's comment?

This isn't about just GSP.

He may be on the lower end of spam wrestlers as far as avoiding the fight.

Do you think 10 minute rounds could nullify spam wrestling? Eventually they'd get tired and have to fight.

"It shall be noted that a successful takedown is not merely a changing of position, but the establishment of an attack from the use of the takedown. Top and bottom position fighters are assessed more on the impactful/effective result of their actions, more so than their position."

If they are actively trying to advance their position from the top and attacking offensively, too bad. But yeah, lay and pray should result in a position reset.

I always liked the potential for Pride's yellow card system, when implemented the right way.

I tend to disagree with Nick here, you gotta stop the takedown or do something from the bottom. Yes, a wrestler can run the clock but part of the game is countering that.

I did enjoy the 10 minute first rounds of PRIDE.

Do you think 10 minute rounds could nullify spam wrestling? Eventually they'd get tired and have to fight.
Maybe? I don't know who we're referring to if it's not GSP since it's Nick Diaz whining about Georges..

Just a dumb comment from Nick since GSP always tried to attack, advance positions while his opponents mostly just held on from the bottom, offering no offense, no submission threats, nothing.

gsp constantly passed guard and threw strikes from top position. was he a great wrestler? of course, but not exactly a top position staller.

First of all, this is one of my favorite press conferences of all time. Nick is just so brutally real and he wears his heart on his sleeve.

He makes a point during this press conference that MMA/UFC should punish spam wrestlers that stall fights with holding, laying and praying, etc. Nick states MMA involves everything and spam wrestling is killing the sport. Nick also states he'd like 10 minute rounds to determine who the real best fighter is. It was also hilarious to see him call out Dana with no regard lol.

How do you feel about Nick's statements? Part of me agrees, but it'd be difficult to implement and it'd be a completely subjective rule.

He starts talking about it at 11:34.

Haha, a 10 minute round would not have helped him at all in that fight. Just more time to get frustrated at his inability to do anything remotely noteworthy

Never seen a guy rep jujitsu so hard but bitch so much about guys who grapple him.

Seriously, how can you and your fan base boast so much over a gogoplata win while simultaneously cry about guys top controlling you so much?

Last edited:
Always did like Pride's 10 minute first round and yellow cards.

Not sure yellow cards are really needed as the refs having a better judgement of stalling accomplish the exact same thing.

P.S.: I'm not sure why he wants to put GSP in that category. Yes, he wrestled F out of people but was fairly active on top. Not really going for finishes but was active. Even under Pride rules he won't get yellow carded. Diaz boys being so opinionated on everything they should've been more picky on some of their match ups and stay away from just heavy wrestlers. UFC wants action to so I'm sure they'd have no problem giving them strikers and overlooking some wrestlers at times.

Diaz bros would rather campaign to get the rules changed than learn to stop a takedown.
And thank god they did. Due to the changes in judging criteria, you no longer can just get a td to win a round. Now you actually have to do something with the td.

Then there's the changes in the threshold limit for thc in a fighter's system, lowered thanks to the Diaz brothers. And CBD is legal to use in competition thanks to Nick and Nate. Five round non-title fights because of the Diaz bros. Seriously, the sport is much better thanks to them.

And thank god they did. Due to the changes in judging criteria, you no longer can just get a td to win a round. Now you actually have to do something with the td.

Then there's the changes in the threshold limit for thc in a fighter's system, lowered thanks to the Diaz brothers. And CBD is legal to use in competition thanks to Nick and Nate. Five round non-title fights because of the Diaz bros. Seriously, the sport is much better thanks to them.
American society as a whole is getting more accepting of marijuana, and I think this is mostly a good thing. The Diaz bros contributed to that, so good on them.

I'll elaborate on my first post and why I think it's a bad look for Nick Diaz though. So we can all agree Nick's style is BJJ and boxing, right? Not at all wrestling. I can't really remember any fights where he was dominating with top control, actually. I mean it's probably happened, but for the most part Diaz boxes until his opponent wilts for the TKO, or open themselves up to be submitted, right? Taking opponents down and keeping them there for control time just isn't his style. And that's fine, he can fight however he wants and I think the reason he's such a popular fighter is he wants to fight in a very entertaining way.

But my issue is he's looking to change the rules to benefit that style, specifically. He's trying to turn off a way to win because he personally doesn't employ it. And not just that, it's a proven way to beat him - it's how GSP, Sean Sherk, and Diego Sanchez beat him. Frankly put, it's a hole in his game. Always has been. And instead of working on it himself, he tried to get athletic commissions to do it for him.

So yeah, I'm with Rogan when he says that there should be no referee stand ups at all. If the other fighter plants you on your ass and you can't do anything about except whine to the ref, then you don't deserve to win the fight. Learn to wrestle or do a different sport.

Last edited:
Being taken down was an integral part of Diaz' game, sadly they had yet to incorporate the rule change where you get points for being taken down, and strangely he would lose points every time his opponent would take him down.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but it was oddly strange, how a guy can get taken down 4 times in 1 round and still lose.

Sadly the sport died soon after because of this, and the much needed rule adjustment never happened.

Diaz will always be considered the people's GOAT.

Back