Did anyone give Royce Gracie a chance at Submitting Matt Hughes?

Steven_Universe

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I can’t believe they made this fight.

Royce is a legend no doubt and he had balls stepping up to fight the bigger stronger wrestler who was a bad matchup for him.

But was this meant as a serious fight or a freak show at the time.

I wasn’t an MMA fan until TUF 3.

The reason Royce was chosen in the first place to be the champion of the Gracie family was because he was the smallest and they thought it would be the best look for BJJ if the smallest family member was beating everyone who was bigger than him.

The hype made you believe he could. But in the first minute of the fight you knew the outcome.

Outstanding fight. Early stoppage though

what-year-is-it-robin-williams.jpg

I can’t believe they made this fight.

Royce is a legend no doubt and he had balls stepping up to fight the bigger stronger wrestler who was a bad matchup for him.

Cripes. I guess after you started watching mma you never watched the first few UFC cards, eh?

Bigger stronger wrestler is pure fantasy from the start. And compared to the monsters in the early UFC.

LOL.

Where is Steven’s Alternate Universe?

giphy.gif

At the time, yeah. You gotta remember it was during the TUF noob surge so a lot of people just didn’t know any better yet

Not really. Maybe 10% of Sherdog thought he had a chance to catch Hughes but pretty much everybody knew he'd be way too strong and skilled at wrestling for Royce. The lowest level of casual fan probably thought Royce had a good shot.

I did, because of the Yoshida MMA fight Royce had with him. And the fight Matt had with renato V . I was wrong!

No -
Over the hill, no gi, it was an obvious cash grab.
No disrespect, I'm sorry, but a joke of a fight.

Weird you mention that fight, I watched that fight TODAY with a coworker at work (we were working hard)

I remember people being kinda confused that Royce was there and a lot of people thought he was gonna get smashed... and he did.

It felt like a really random fight at the time

Back