Did BJ Penn submit himself vs Ryan Hall?

DeepFry

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Slow motion clip at 1:12

I think he did.

I don't see much hip in extension here, but Penn basically rolled the wrong direction whilst his heel was trapped - so he rotated his own femur within his knee capsule.

Kind of like he outside toe holded himself.....?

Well probably. Penn doesn’t seem like type to keep up with that sort of thing

Pretty much, Penn went the completely wrong way trying to escape that. I don’t think he (or others that grappled in his day) had much experience with inside heel hooks.

It wasn't the direction of the turn exactly that was the problem, since, when defending heel hooks, whichever side your leg is on, that's the side you want to turn towards.

The problem was that his weight was back and his leg pulled taut, when what you want to do is move in, sitting up onto your 50/50 foot with your weight going through it, thus blocking his attacks and opening up means of your own attack.

Last edited:
I see this happen even with straight ankle locks.

A dudes leg is log jammed in there going nowhere, they try and rotate out of it, and all they achieve is rotating the crap out of knee joint and have to get reconstructive surgery after.

Rotation with leg locks can get dudes in a lot of difficulty.

The only real rotation leg submissions are toe holds.

Nah, the whole point of a heel hook or leg lock is hoping the opponents lags in the defense and turns the wrong way in chaos.

Back