Did both Anderson and Weidman have particularly fragile bones

Didn’t Anderson Pop for a Roid that literally sapped bone fragments or some shit like that?

EjqDsjQWoAAjugd.jpg:large

Corey Hill was snappin legs (his own) before it was cool

still luv u Corey rest eazy brosef <3

Just looked him up. Died way too young. Very sad.

I never made a statement that they had particularly fragile bones. I was asking a question. That’s why the word “Did” was at the beginning of the sentence. Excuse me for forgetting the question mark, A-hole.
Missed that. Apologies

Not fragile bones at all, it can happen to anyone. I've seen some muay thai fighters break their legs in fights, and they train their legs all day and are constantly kicking very hard trees and other hard surfaces, as well as pads. But their legs have broken.. and honestly most of it is just being unlucky. I think we have to remember that the human skeleton is not made to be constantly kicked like this, its not made to run constantly either or do high jumps... its just we as humans want to excel and push at everything.

See how many times do people tear their ACL or MCL or another major stabilising ligament while running or doing a high jump, often! it happens a lot. But look at Leopards or Panthers or other high speed animals.. they don't tear theirs, they have a lot of stabilising ligaments , its unheard of theirs tearing in the wild.. because they are made for it, their entire DNA and genetics is made for long hard sprinting and high jumps/leaps. Not humans.. its just we are desperate to push the boundaries always
No, actually humans are built for physicality. It just got less needed for many due to technology and the comfort of the modern age, without the need of actually hunting and surviving. That's why there are still strong genetics, those are from the bloodlines of warriors and hunters of the past.

It's also the way they kick and practice. You rarely see this injury in Thailand but they are really good at placing the kick. They don't kick at the block.
This. Most of the breaks happen from people kicking at or around the knee. Even if they aren't properly checking it, that's the reason they break their legs. That's the same reason Conor broke his shin by the ankle. Most of it is an aiming and kicking technique issue.

Nah, they most likely injured their shin in practice but didn’t think it was a big deal and kept training through the pain
Nah, no one is kicking with a fractured shin. That's all nerves around that area, the pain would be worse in that area compared to other parts of the body in terms of other fractures. That's why people that don't deaden their nerves on the shins have an intense pain reaction when anything hits it. It's not the same reaction compared to other parts of the body when you hit the bone. No one is kicking with a fractured shin, only a bruised shin. Unless you are in a fight and don't realize you fractured it during the fight due to adrenaline and keep kicking until it breaks, like Conor did.

Yup. Fragile bones not dense enough. Combination of genetics and nutrient deficiency.

weak ass bones broke

Tyrone Spong snapped his leg on a checked kick. It happens in all combat sports involving kicks. Thankfully it's rare.
He said muay thai, kickboxers don't condition their shins the same way as muay thai fighters. Some do, but many don't.

This injury is way more common than people think. I've seen this twice in person at amateur events in Indiana.
I think more a matter of if ya take enough swings, sooner or later something bad is gonna happen.
I think its about progressive load. Your bones get stronger over years of kicking pads, running etc. You can't do it over months. I would suggest trying to do it too quickly over weeks or months has the opposite effect and leaves u more open to a leg break.

Nah, no one is kicking with a fractured shin. That's all nerves around that area, the pain would be worse in that area compared to other parts of the body in terms of other fractures. That's why people that don't deaden their nerves on the shins have an intense pain reaction when anything hits it. It's not the same reaction compared to other parts of the body when you hit the bone. No one is kicking with a fractured shin, only a bruised shin. Unless you are in a fight and don't realize you fractured it during the fight due to adrenaline and keep kicking until it breaks, like Conor did.

Terrible example.

Conor in his team admitted on the record that he injured it training and just fought through it.

He did exactly what I described

"In my last camp I’d a severely damaged left leg. Many of my sessions consisted of starting in open guard bottom. And staying there. Full rounds remaining on bottom. I was beating people up until they backed away from me. It then translated to the fight. True story," McGregor fired on Twitter.

https://amp.tmz.com/2021/11/17/conor-mcgregor-says-severely-damaged-leg-training-before-poirier/

Don't mistake the laws of physics for bone weakness.

If they had weak bones, they wouldn't have reached this level in sports.

Odd coincidence that it happened to both of them, but not terribly shocking.

It may have been a karma turn for Weidman since he was disrespectful after Anderson's injury.

Most of the breaks in MMA happened to people who were suspected of roiding. I am hopefully it really is because of roids making bones more fragile because otherwise it would risky to kick at all if it means some random crapshoot chance can end your career or at the very least take you out for a year and significantly affect your fighting performance after.

No Anderoids bones didn’t break until about 50 fights into his career.

It's a question of technique rather than a lack of bone strength. Considering how many mma fighters throw their kicks in a "dangerous" fashion it's crazy that there aren't more leg breaks.
Thai's throw leg kicks all day. Of course they harden their bones by kicking the bag all day. But they also throw their kicks round. Their foot draws a circular motion when they kick. Due to differing stances in mma fighters developed the calf kick. That kick is rather thrown linear. There's a very high risk involved in that.
The tibia is not round like one might assume. The human shinbone has sort of a ridge on the front. You can probably feel that on your own shin. The rest is physics.
Try breaking a ruler in half. Very easy. But not if you try to break it along the edge. It will become virtually impossible to break that ruler as long as you apply the force perpendicular to the edge.

The same goes for a checked legkick. If the shin bone doesn't hit the knee/shin of the opponent perpendicular, it can break without preexisting microfractures.

Aren't Thai fights mostly 130lbs, there's a lot more force coming from UFC middleweights/LHWs.

There are a lot of factors. The angle at which the shin makes contact is one of them.

On a conditioned shin, it's very hard to break it bone-on-bone if you strike with the shin straight on. But if you land more so with the side of the shin, you're more likely to get a leg break.

Back