Did Colby take Usman down?

>

• Total voters
By UFC criteria it was not. There are many other similar takedowns that are not offcial takedowns in the UFC.

People who say it was a takedown should be arguing it was 2 takedowns right?

Yes and after reading this thread I now know what fightmetrics determines as a TD.

Ty hats a valid point. I’d like to see another angle to see if he’s wrapping fingers. It doesn’t look natural

Colby goes to pull him back and Usman holds himself up on the cage and goes sideways as he gets up. If he didn't pull himself up on the cage he decided to reach his hands out and lunge to the side to get himself up for some weird reason. Why work to the cage when he could have just done that in the middle ?

Usman has a few of these type things. He really will do whatever it takes.

giphy.gif

DC an Olympian wrestler was arguing it was with the stat nerds live
I do freestyle wrestling and that’s scored as a takedown.

I just looked up the definition in the context of wrestling.

https://www.wvmat.com/overview.htm

"What is considered a takedown? Well, to set up a takedown, the wrestlers must be working from the neutral or standing position; a situation where neither wrestler has control. Then a takedown is scored when one of the wrestlers gains control over the other, causing his opponent's supporting points (the area or areas in which most of the body weight is placed) to be the knees, thighs, buttocks, or hands."

Usman's supporting points were his hands and knees, therefore he was taken down. I didn't know that MMA had a different interpretation of a takedown so that must be where the confusion lies.

How sad is it that we're arguing a takedown that equaled .3 seconds of control?

Not enough control on a takedown? If someone get judothrown on his ass, it's a takedown, even if the person gets up immediately. So the barometer on how a takedown is scored should be about contacts on the ground. In which case it was a takedown.

Probably

But i personally dont take something like that as substantial if i was, say, judging.

Yes in wrestling rules/points it's a takedown - MMA is different. We also don't score 10-8 rounds for knockdowns like in boxing and people aren't scoring sport bjj points from mma grappling exchanges.

Usman popped up right away and was never controlled and it was just his knees dropping. In MMA I consider this a wash. Even full takedowns if they get up right away and scramble out it's also a wash in my opinion when it comes to mma grappling. The take down is canceled out by being able to get up and scramble out if there is no control. Of course big slams factor in and those would count more even if they are able to get up and scramble out. I'm talking more about low intensity takedowns.

Yep, if the definition shows if someone is the better wrestler, is the question. It was one, but also a brief exchange that didn't impact the fight much. Colby wants to get dominant position, but Usman escapes. It's better than nothing, but not a big deal in the fight.

The stats don't count takedowns unless a fighter gets their opponent down and establishes a position
It's always been this way. You can disagree with it but that's how it is in terms of the stats
So a takedown is something more than a takedown in MMA..... establishing a position once taking a person down has literally no barring on the takedown sequence....

It's called a TAKEDOWN..... not a position you land in....

Not enough control on a takedown? If someone get judothrown on his ass, it's a takedown, even if the person gets up immediately. So the barometer on how a takedown is scored should be about contacts on the ground. In which case it was a takedown.

I agree but the commentary from Rogan showed that the official stat nerds related to him the explanation "he didn't establish enough control for it to be deemed a TD"

Back