Did Ed O'Neil(Al Bundy) Prove That Typecasting Is a Myth?

HereticBD

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
Ed O'Neil is Al Bundy. Let's make that clear right now. I can not separate the actor from the character. He's him, and to this day, whenever I see him as anybody but Al Bundy, I have this uncanny valley feeling. like he's still Al Bundy, but there's something a little off.

But I digress. This guy pulled through, worked hard, and made it once again, as a major player in another mainstream sitcom.

I guess my question is, is that when you see these other actors whine about how they just couldn't get another break in Hollywood because they were only known as(insert role), shouldn't the answer always be: "What about Al Bundy? He did fine. You have no excuse."

Anyways, here's Al Bundy doing Al bundy shit:

Al Bundy once scored 4 touchdowns in the city championship game for Polk High. He is the GOAT.

Wasn't Ed O'Neil a VERY accomplished stage actor who was effectively slumming in a Fox sitcom? It wasn't like he was going to wind up as Tara Reid.

Wait, I thought the dad in Modern Family was Al Bundy grown up

So he played a sarcastic dad married to a hot lady in one sitcom.
But years late he went on to play a sarcastic dad married to a hot lady in an entirely different sitcom.
Inspiring.

Which Ed O'Neal TV wife would you rather?

Wasn't Ed O'Neil a VERY accomplished stage actor who was effectively slumming in a Fox sitcom? It wasn't like he was going to wind up as Tara Reid.

Yeah, I'm sure his "stage acting" credentials came in handy for "Modern Family"...LOL

Goddamn man, nearly every actor has some kind of "esteemed" credentials. That doesn't mean they're gonna rebound like Ed O'Neil. Like really, did his his Shakespearean repertoire save him from "Dutch"? Don't think so. He just worked hard, and never gave up. Much like a young, and hungry amateur football player who scored four touchdowns in one game.

Ted Danson has done, like, four shows since being Sam Malone on Cheers.

Mark Harmon was the hunky doctor on St Elsewhere in the 80s before becoming a former Marine supercop on NCIS.

Antonio, the cab driver on Wings, got nearly a decade out of Monk.

Ice-T has played a cop for 18 years. 18 years before that, he dropped a single about killing cops.

ER was one of the biggest shows on TV in the 90s. One of the faces of that show was The Good Wife's Juliana Margulies. The other was that Clooney guy who used to be on Rosanne.

Neil Flynn transitioned from being The Janitor on Scrubs to the dad on The Middle.

Yeah, I'm sure his "stage acting" credentials came in handy for "Modern Family"...LOL

Goddamn man, nearly every actor has some kind of "esteemed" credentials. That doesn't mean they're gonna rebound like Ed O'Neil. Like really, did his his Shakespearean repertoire save him from "Dutch"? Don't think so. He just worked hard, and never gave up. Much like a young, and hungry amateur football player who scored four touchdowns in one game.

No, I meant he was immensely talented and wasn't sitting home unemployed between screen gigs, he was likely welcomed back onto the stage with welcome arms.

And not nearly every actor has "esteemed" credentials. That's not even remotely true.

It's more like nowadays, an actor can reinvent him/herself way easier than in the 80's or 90's, due to the different avenues of entertainment they can work in.

Ted Danson has done, like, four shows since being Sam Malone on Cheers.

Mark Harmon was the hunky doctor on St Elsewhere in the 80s before becoming a former Marine supercop on NCIS.

Antonio, the cab driver on Wings, got nearly a decade out of Monk.

Ice-T has played a cop for 18 years. 18 years before that, he dropped a single about killing cops.

ER was one of the biggest shows on TV in the 90s. One of the faces of that show was The Good Wife's Juliana Margulies. The other was that Clooney guy who used to be on Rosanne.

Neil Flynn transitioned from being The Janitor on Scrubs to the dad on The Middle.

Ice T's acting credits always make me laugh.

But yeah, you get it. Al Bundy though...not too many. Carol O'Connor comes to mind, from Archie Bunker to....whoever the fuck he played in "In The Heat Of The Night".

Years ago, I saw him play a serious role in the film "The Whereabouts Of Jenny". Good actor.

There was a Bundyesque moment in one scene though, so I'm guessing that Al may really be part of his personality.

Which Ed O'Neal TV wife would you rather?

Post S1 Peg.

Season 1 Peg has banana tits. Once she got them plumped up, it's a no-brainer.

Rent-a-Latina is pretty good too, but I'd like to peg prime Peg, more.

No, I meant he was immensely talented and wasn't sitting home unemployed between screen gigs, he was likely welcomed back onto the stage with welcome arms.

And not nearly every actor has "esteemed" credentials. That's not even remotely true.

Ed O'Neill has been fantastic in many great things.

He just happened to have a mega hit in Married With Children.

Personally, I loved him on The West Wing.

eo5.JPG

Talented guy.

Ed O'Neill has been fantastic in many great things.

He just happened to have a mega hit in Married With Children.

Personally, I loved him on The West Wing.

eo5.JPG

Talented guy.

I don't know if you remember this, but in the nineties there was a remake of Dragnet on TV and he played Joe Friday. It wasn't great, but I think that was my favourite role of his.

1. Blackbelt in BJJ.
2. GOAT sitcom wives.
3. Signed as an undrafted rookie free agent in 1969 by the Pittsburgh Steelers.
4. 4 Touchdowns in a single fucking game!!!

Last edited:
Ed O'Neil is Al Bundy. Let's make that clear right now. I can not separate the actor from the character. He's him, and to this day, whenever I see him as anybody but Al Bundy, I have this uncanny valley feeling. like he's still Al Bundy, but there's something a little off.

But I digress. This guy pulled through, worked hard, and made it once again, as a major player in another mainstream sitcom.

I guess my question is, is that when you see these other actors whine about how they just couldn't get another break in Hollywood because they were only known as(insert role), shouldn't the answer always be: "What about Al Bundy? He did fine. You have no excuse."

Anyways, here's Al Bundy doing Al bundy shit:

You constructed an entire argument based on what you perceive to be an outlier. That's never a good idea.

When married with children was airing he tried to do a serious movie drama. During the test screening when he appeared on screen all of the audiences laughed thinking it was a comedy. He immediately removed himself from the role asking to be replaced by another actor.

Audiences have matured enough today in accepting most actors in a different toned role.

An from what i can tell he is playing a modern take of Al Bundy. So your argument folds in on itself.

Back