Did Fabio Basile just wreck someone's knee with a Kani Badami?

At first I thought maybe he just messed up bailing to his stomach, but the replay sure makes it look like he deliberately spikes in with his right knee.

Is there any context/bad blood that might explain it?

It looks to me like an o guruma, but he loses his footing for some reason. The kani basami position coincides with him letting go with his hands too.

It looks to me like an o guruma, but he loses his footing for some reason. The kani basami position coincides with him letting go with his hands too.

I don't see that at all. Seems to me like a 100% deliberate kani basami. I still can't believe my eyes.

No fucking way, man. He didn't just slip on his support leg or something. He threw his support leg in the air on purpose.

No fucking way, man. He didn't just slip on his support leg or something. He threw his support leg in the air on purpose.
No chance mate. He's absolutely committing his throw forwards too. Kani basami requires him to throw uke on his back. It's not just having legs in place.

No chance mate. He's absolutely committing his throw forwards too. Kani basami requires him to throw uke on his back. It's not just having legs in place.

How is he commiting to his throw forward when he swings his support leg upwards like that? Seriously dude watch again.

IMO looked like he couldn't get the initial throw, then drove his supporting leg into the opponent's near leg to try and collapse it.

Allegedly (on instagram) accused his opponent of playacting, then deleted the post.

No, no he didn't wreck anyones knee. Lol. Have you guys seen a real knee injury?

How is he commiting to his throw forward when he swings his support leg upwards like that? Seriously dude watch again.
Watch the top half of his body/his hands. That's where you can see the kuzushi/commitment to the original technique.

No, no he didn't wreck anyones knee. Lol. Have you guys seen a real knee injury?
Yes. I have seen ACL tears that did not look half as bad as that. The fact that you brush this off as not a real knee injury indicates that you have no clue what you are talking about. Watching this gives me shivers. GTFO.

Watch the top half of his body/his hands. That's where you can see the kuzushi/commitment to the original technique.
OK interesting point and this is where we should discuss this. I do not think that it was a premeditated Kani basami in the sense that he started the whole technique with the intent of Kani basami. But given the configuration of the whole situation, it turned out to be a total Kani basami anyways. Watch again and tell me that this could have turned out not being a Kani basami, given the situation.

Yes. I have seen ACL tears that did not look half as bad as that. The fact that you brush this off as not a real knee injury indicates that you have no clue what you are talking about. Watching this gives me shivers. GTFO.

The guys literally still walking. Seen this same injury. Same technique. It shreds ligaments when you "destroy a guys knee" with it. That guy looks like he got a sprain at worst.

The guys literally still walking. Seen this same injury. Same technique. It shreds ligaments when you "destroy a guys knee" with it. That guy looks like he got a sprain at worst.
wrong. you can blow your knee in training, keep grinding, and only realise back home that your knee swelled. Not all knee injuries have the same immediate consequences. If looking at the way Basile fell on his apanyent's leg you think "no biggie", I honestly question if you grapple. Irrespective of the question "was it intentional or not", I can't imagine that anyone can look at that sequence and not be horrified. But IDK, maybe you are so tough that you are immune to ACL tears. Good for you.

wrong. you can blow your knee in training, keep grinding, and only realise back home that your knee swelled. Not all knee injuries have the same immediate consequences. If looking at the way Basile fell on his apanyent's leg you think "no biggie", I honestly question if you grapple. Irrespective of the question "was it intentional or not", I can't imagine that anyone can look at that sequence and not be horrified. But IDK, maybe you are so tough that you are immune to ACL tears. Good for you.

Just seen ACTUAL knee destruction. They don't get up and walk off.

To me it appears like he's going for O guruma or something, but the way he bails into the leg looks pretty deliberate to attack that kneee.

I don't know the Italians history, but certainly doesn't look clean to me.

I also believe Kani Basami is a perfecty legit technique.

Back