Did Francis Ngannou Make a Huge Mistake Not Resigning with the UFC?

Did Francis Ngannou make a mistake?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ngannou messed up in terms of money unless he beats some top boxer and returns right after to UFC to get even more money. The issue seems to be freedom and rights for Ngannou, but the money wasn't worth exchanging it for.

This goes against the narrative prior that UFC never valued him and lowballed him, then he was going to make more boxing than 10 fights in UFC. Most likely he won't get a better offer if he tries to return to UFC unless he can do something that hypes him up in popularity.
How would that be a mistake in terms of money? He just needs one boxing fight with a big name boxer to make more than his whole UFC contract lol.

How would that be a mistake in terms of money? He just needs one boxing fight with a big name boxer to make more than his whole UFC contract lol.
We'll see, time will tell. He's getting 8M x 3 in UFC. Lets see how much he gets for his next boxing match or mma match.

Was he really offered 8 million to fight Jon Jones?

If that was the point to get 8 million he might have made a stupid decision.

However we do not know how much pfl will offer.

He’s been offered millions per fight (how many it’s unclear but definitely over 3 given that Lesnar’s last fight was 2.5 and it was stated “way more than Lesnar”) in the organization where he is a relative draw and PPVs are a meaningful number.

He refused, to go fight imaginary boxing matches for imaginary huge purses, which likely will (A) not happen at all, or (B) happen once - without a huge purse - and totally ruin his stock and health due to a one sided beat down.

Other MMA organizations won’t be able to match the UFC offer nor create any meaningful PPVs opportunities. Maybe ONE has the money, maybe, but I doubt they’ll invest so much on one guy who is not a huge mainstream draw, especially out of the UFC,

IMO he has completely messed up his career and now that JJ vs CG has been announced he also has far less leverage if he tries to backtrack and sign with the UFC.

His managers and advisers are incompetent.

PS: I’m an absolute fan, from his incredible life story to his fights and general demeanor/personality … so I’m rather “sad” to see him potentially end up far less successful then he could have been. The Fury fight is a real longshot in my opinion, I hope to be wrong.

Itll depend on what happens next...

Abit premature with the poll..

This could be a stellar move !

Or

A very bad one

We'll see, time will tell. He's getting 8M x 3 in UFC. Lets see how much he gets for his next boxing match or mma match.
Source that he was getting 8 mill per fight for 3 fights ..

Or do u mean 2.6 millon. ? Per fight lol..

He’s been offered millions per fight (how many it’s unclear but definitely over 3 given that Lesnar’s last fight was 2.5 and it was stated “way more than Lesnar”) in the organization where he is a relative draw and PPVs are a meaningful number.

He refused, to go fight imaginary boxing matches for imaginary huge purses, which likely will (A) not happen at all, or (B) happen once - without a huge purse - and totally ruin his stock and health due to a one sided beat down.

Other MMA organizations won’t be able to match the UFC offer nor create any meaningful PPVs opportunities. Maybe ONE has the money, maybe, but I doubt they’ll invest so much on one guy who is not a huge mainstream draw, especially out of the UFC,

IMO he has completely messed up his career and now that JJ vs CG has been announced he also has far less leverage if he tries to backtrack and sign with the UFC.

His managers and advisers are incompetent.

PS: I’m an absolute fan, from his incredible life story to his fights and general demeanor/personality … so I’m rather “sad” to see him potentially end up far less successful then he could have been. The Fury fight is a real longshot in my opinion, I hope to be wrong.

I'm honestly surprised so many people don't understand why Francis is doing what he has... We all have opportunities in our lives to make change like this and this is his opportunity.

I salute him for having the balls to try and be the change even at the expense of his own livelihood/legacy.

Considering the country and economic status he previously had, I'd believe Francis considers himself lucky and well off.

Everything you wrote insinuates that he wants to resign, since like 2019 he has consistently stated he does not want to be owned. Most UFC fighters that fight against the UFC in a similar way do not have the leverage Francis did. There are few who would do what he has done / is doing, I wish him all the best in whatever he does and will go out of my way to support his endeavours.

Edit: Almost every single comment talks about how much money he will make or could make when he's specifically said it's more than that and that he has enough money.

Source that he was getting 8 mill per fight for 3 fights ..

Or do u mean 2.6 millon. ? Per fight lol..
He was supposed to be getting a bigger contract than Brock. He said on Ariel's show that is was about 8 million a fight and UFC tried to throw money at him to solve his issues.

Wilder and Fury gets paid 20-30 million, but the cans they fight get paid a lot less. And Ngannou right now is a can in the boxing world. He'll be extremely lucky to get paid 10 million, which will be less than 3 fights in the UFC.

Then right now Ngannou has no manager, if he thinks Dana is not showing him respect then he absolutely is not ready to deal with the scumbags in the boxing world. If I am Eddie Hearn the main attraction to signing Ngannou wouldn't be to set up a megafight for him, it'll be to feed him to up and coming boxers and set up megafights for them instead in the future.

Last edited:
i feel he overplayed his hand. being out of ufc there is no big stage where he can compete more or be more relevant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back